Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Disappointment.

Anyone that thinks our starting line up is going to be much different

from Wembley is setting themselves up for a disappointment imo.   There may

be one or two new faces in the team, but not a huge upgrade. 

Development will happen, but it will take time - and you don''t throw out

your most experienced players.    ALL of the present team and subs that were used towards the end of the season are capable of doing well next season.   

So first game next season should feature the team that started at Wembley imo - that performance was of premiership class - and while we may not finish in the top 6 next season, they are good enough to achieve our goals next season.   We take into next season the confidence and momentum from the second half of the season and the play offs and we shouldn''t mess with that.  One or two new faces to give a bit of competition for places, yes, but unless we can land a sure fire successful striker or fantastically creative midfielder (which would cost bucket loads) we will be a similar looking team next season.   I''m looking forward to that - they have earned it, imo.  

I expect maybe 2 or 3 changes to the starting line up but I won''t be overly worried if it''s not any more. For me the team that we got relegated from the Premier League with are/were more than capable of staying up. We just had a manager of was ridiculously negative and inhibited the players. Now we don''t.

Last time we went up we used the core of our promotion winning squad, with some useful additions - E Benno, Pilkington and Morison for example. The key being they were all hungry players with something to prove in the Premier League. Hopefully this will be the objective this time too.

LDC for me there are many of that first 11 and squad that warrant time in the prem, and they will get that.

But if new additions comes in, they should be better players than those in current positions and should then compete and have that starting berth.

There are weaknesses with our first team squad but they certainly did themselves proud during the season and final run in.

We will see players come in and I have no problem with them putting current first 11 players on our bench. It only makes us stronger.

I don''t think many are saying that we need an overhaul to the first team, just a few, the debate is in which positions imo. I think we need a new CB and a creative/attaxking midfielder who can also grab a few goals.

Mcnally has said he expects to bring in around 5/6 signings. Like I say I think we need a

CB -for first team

AM -- for first team

LM - as we haven''t got one (in terms of out nd out left mid e.g. Sako)

DM - competition for Tettey

LB - backup/competition to Olsson

ST - I expect us to sell Laffs and probably RVW so theres a spot up for grabs. CamJam has never scored many goals in this league, Grabban is unproven so may be what we need (though personally i have my doubts) and Hooper needs someone up top with him if he''s going to score lots of goals.

Is this thread in response to the poster that said we should find a replacement for Martin and Whits?

I think LDC, perhaps you''ll be disappointed if all you think we''re going to go for is 2 or 3 players to add as ''competition for places''.
You''re correct in my opinion that the core of the squad is ok. However, baring in mind everyone else will be strengthening their starting 11, if we don''t, we''ll be behind from the off.
I expect a couple of new players to be starting come PL kick off. I expect to see a further 2 or 3 who at the very least  are AS good as our existing players, but either younger with time to improve or with the experience we''ll need to see us through the season.

Well if you take previous seasons into account, i''d imagine we''ll have about 6 new players with 3 of them straight into the starting line up. No more than we need.

I reckon we''ll start with a new right back, a new striker and maybe a new centre back.

In terms of the starting eleven, I would hope to see three new players: RB, RCB and striker. In addition, we need a new number 10 type player and a left winger - five players in total. Hopefully, we''ll offload Grabban, Lafferty and RvW to make way for a striker for whom Jerome is in competition. Hooper is also of fundamental importance to the squad with the option of bringing him on when we''re chasing a goal. Let''s not forget he managed to score in a Hughton managed team, no mean feat at all.

I love all the euphoria and optimism but the squad needs some serious quality. Remember this is the nucleus of a team that always looked a good Championship side but were just not good enough for the higher level and only scored 28 goals last time round.

I agree the momentum and continuity factor but this will fade very quickly unless we have players that can compete at the higher level.

I think too many people are getting a little carried away by our performances (at times) last season and how well our players will step up. Yes many of them do have Prem experience but there is a very good reason why clubs were hardly banging on our door about them this year, players like Jerome, whilst mightily impressive in the Championship have struggled at the higher level...

Personally I would like to see a Striker, Winger, Right back and Centre Back all signed to go straight into contention.

[quote user="The ghost of Michael Theoklitos"]Disappointment.A great way to describe this thread.[/quote]I think it describes all Lakey''s threads. [;)] [:D]

[quote user="Canary Dogg"]Amazed Morty hasn''t commented. Has he had an accident is he still alive?[/quote]I have nothing to add here.[:)]

[quote user="Barclay seats 4849 the 3rd"]I think this might be a " stating the bl**ding obvious moment "

The club has already told us what the policy is towards incoming players . Maybe LDC hasn''t read the website lately ?

Or maybe he is on holiday with the fairies ?[/quote]

The only thing that is bl***ing obvious is that amongst the few that actually are happy talking about football, there are those who prefer to troll.. 

Yes, this thread is in reaction to some of the posts in other threads that write off some of our players.  I don''t think any of the team and subs used towards the end of the season are in any way not up to the job next season. None of them.  Buying one or two players to strengthen the squad and offer competition for places is healthy, but from the Wembley line up, I would find it hard to drop any of them in place of anyone bought in - unless we go out and buy some £10m + players...........but is that going to happen? I don''t think so.

having followed this club for 30 years i do wonder what people expectthe owner doesnt have enough money to make us a premier league regular, not for any longer than a year or two at a timeuntil they sell to someone with real money to throw at it our ambition is built around being a yo yo clubim pretty sure that was part of mcnallys 5 year plan

Iron Stan - this is the issue Purple and I recently discussed. Essentially, I agree that it is only with new and significant equity investment to fund higher player wages and stadium expansion that we might be in a position to establish ourselves in the PL.

Who''s to say some of that starting 11 don''t get poached by other clubs?

Also, if we bring in hardly any new impact players, what are those 10s of millions of £ going to be used for? Not another DeanAshton 4 months too llate scenario, I hope.

I think LDC is basically right in that we won''t see more than a couple of new faces in the starting line up in August, but we do need some serious strengthening.

With our first 11 out and all firing as they did at Wembley we can survive. But we will have injuries and suspensions and losses of form. So we need cover in some crucial places.

With the Prem money now that means buying "cover" which is actually or potentially better than the incumbent. If we do that in 3 key areas I think we''ll be OK and can grow steadily without bankrupting the club.

The 3 key areas for me are the spine of the team- a Jonny Howson type AM, a Tettey like DM and a quick strong CB.

Other positions such as RB and maybe LB could do with more cover but I think we have enough there not to make them the priority. Wideish positions are OK with EB, the JMs, Redmond, Johnno etc and we have a couple of decent utility CMs in O''Neill and Dorrans.

But if I look at which 3 players I would most hate to lose in any game it would be Bassong, Tettey and Howson. The latter I think is greatly underappreciated, and his ability to surge through from midfield alongside Redmond, Hoolahan and one of the strikers will be very important for us if we are to be a credible attacking force.

At the back we absolutely must get some good reliable cover for Tettey, if it is not to be VOO. This position is key, although we cannot reasonably expect to easily repel the combined likes of Hazard, Oscar, Willian and Fabregas, other Prem teams will play a strong midfield which is where we really struggled under Hughton. We saw at Wembley that our midfield won the game and this is where our fate lies.

So my rambling summary is that IMO we should, and I think we probably will, spend decent money (£6-8m each position) on the 3 key areas of CB, DM, central AM.