Sign in to follow this  
TheTetteyRole

'British Based'

We have all heard McNally''s statement about British based players being our only transfer targets and in defence, that''s fin if we can secure a Richards or a van Djik, but in attack, I''m slightly more worried. Who could we take that would a) accept an offer from a newly promoted club b) be available for offers from current club and c) be good enough to play? If at gun point, would you rather take N''doye or Jelavic? and if not at the relegated clubs, where should we look?

Fletcher from Sunderland. Year left on his contract and a good finisher when fit.

Now behind Defoe and might be available for £4-6m?

Or Shane Long for £8-10m - like his movement.

McNally said

"I think we have greater knowledge in the domestic market than we have the international markets,” he said. “But if we were bringing in six or seven the chance is the majority will be British-based players, although in the Premier League you also have to be aware of the international scene and look to Europe for one or two."

Nobody "heard McNally''s statement about British based players being our only transfer targets" because McNally is a lot shrewder than your interpretation.

I brought up Fletcher to my mate who is a Sunderland fan. He''s not been good for a few years now. He''d probably be cheaper than £6m as well. I think the championship beckons for him.

Indeed, Fletcher and Shane Long would be terrible signings considering how much their clubs would want for them i''d imagine.

The both cost £12m yet Fletcher scored 5 goals last season and 3 the year before. Long scored 5 last season and 4 the year before.

When you think Shane Long played basically the same amount of games as Hooper did (in the Hughton team) in the PL yet scored less goals, despite being in a much better team, I suspect we can get better value for money, most likely abroad in terms of strikers (though there are many midfielders and defenders we could go for in Britain).

British based, rather than English, would also hint that we''re looking around the whole of the Isles. No surprise if we pick up a couple from Scotland, then.

Shane Long played the vast majority of his games this season on the right wing so it is unfair to criticise his goal scoring return.

Southampton brought him in as not only does he offerer an attacking threat, but he also covers a lot of ground and tracks back very well. He is quick and has smart movement and has been a great option for Southampton off the bench as he offers something different to Sane, Tadic and Pelle.

I wouldn''t want Norwich to bring him in this summer as they don''t really need this kind of player but he''s had a decent season at Southampton and they won''t be looking to sell him.

Fair enough on my part for the misinterpretation, but isn''t that slightly contradictory? He says he wants quality over quantity and then talks about looking at 6 or 7. I''m just saying, decent strikers have become a premium in the lower part of the league and it may be better to look elsewhere. Scotland is no good.

Fletcher is heavily linked with Celtic, would do a job up there. Long is more of a hassle and harry type player without being a great goal scorer.

Always quite liked Jelavic but don''t think he''s got the work rate for someone like Neil.

[quote user="Fuzzar"]Fletcher from Sunderland. Year left on his contract and a good finisher when fit.

Now behind Defoe and might be available for £4-6m?

Or Shane Long for £8-10m - like his movement.[/quote]

Fletcher, Wickham and Defoe - no thanks

Shane Long - the only one worth considering IMHO....would Southampton let him go?

This sounds to me like a crazy idea, just because we had our fingers burnt with rvw doesn''t mean we can''t go out and shop around in the Dutch, French and German leagues?

Any signing you make you take a chance on whether they will sink or swim. To get the best value we should be looking for the Bonys of this years Dutch league for example.

[quote user="scrappy33"]This sounds to me like a crazy idea, just because we had our fingers burnt with rvw doesn''t mean we can''t go out and shop around in the Dutch, French and German leagues?

Any signing you make you take a chance on whether they will sink or swim. To get the best value we should be looking for the Bonys of this years Dutch league for example.[/quote]

No-one has said that we won''t be looking for those players.

I take McNally''s point, but surely now we have Premier League credentials again makes it the perfect time to attract stars from abroad.

The PL has a popular appeal which is universal, and not solely about the money.

Any aspiring star would view a move Norwich City at this moment in time as a massive step in the right direction, which would lead to instant recognition and a likely route to better things. We are the perfect stepping stone in this respect,

We would certainly not appeal to players who fall into the ''aspirations for Champions League football" category though, and I suppose that''s where teams like Ajax come into the frame.

We could do with another player in the Tettey mould though, especially in the striker role.

Reality check: we are not going to attract "stars" from abroad. We might attract very decent players from abroad though... But to do this you need a good scout , who really knows the players and follows the league they play in.

I have read the name Patrick Hermann here lately...he plays for a top german side and is followed by the likes of Bayern... Sorry , but he''s not coming to NCFC... On the other hand, there are a few foreign players that are fringe players in the PL or other leagues. For example Finnbogasson who was mentioned on here...

[quote user="ROBFLECK"]Reality check: we are not going to attract "stars" from abroad. We might attract very decent players from abroad though... But to do this you need a good scout , who really knows the players and follows the league they play in.

I have read the name Patrick Hermann here lately...he plays for a top german side and is followed by the likes of Bayern... Sorry , but he''s not coming to NCFC... On the other hand, there are a few foreign players that are fringe players in the PL or other leagues. For example Finnbogasson who was mentioned on here...[/quote]

You are right that people like Hermann won''t be interested but some from the lesser leagues like Swizerland might, even if they have to sacrifice champions league football.

The lure of the premiership and the money we can spend on wages is more than many clubs can offer that may seem like much bigger clubs.

Not to mention, there may be a chance to take some top talent on loan from the massive clubs. Everton took Deulofeu for a season and it worked out well, why not us with some other talent?

scrappy33 wrote the following post at 14/06/2015 11:12 AM:

This sounds to me like a crazy idea, just because we had our fingers burnt with rvw doesn''t mean we can''t go out and shop around in the Dutch, French and German leagues?

Scrappy - David Mc also refering to those other 2 fabulouse signings from last summer

Voodoo & Lafferty

With Wolf added in he now has to shift 3 of our highest wage earners (following promotion)  off the books

[quote user="Newton"]

scrappy33 wrote the following post at 14/06/2015 11:12 AM:

Scrappy - David Mc also refering to those other 2 fabulouse signings from last summer

Voodoo & Lafferty

With Wolf added in he now has to shift 3 of our highest wage earners (following promotion)  off the books

[/quote]

Newton, seriously, get back to your homework before your mum finds out what you are up to?!!!

Lafferty is British . . . . duh! And he has played most of his career in Britain. Move on.

McNasty is clearly referring to stabilising the team in the prem needs more tried and tested players at more reasonable prices.

I hate to say it but I think he''s going to struggle in that players that are ''homegrown'' and halfway decent are going to cost more money. They are perhaps better in the long run but it means that other teams are more likely to sniff around them like Redmond.

I also think he isn''t referring to more recent signings and is reflecting upon the last premier league campaign where we signed RVW AND Elmander to be our primary striking options . . . . .