Sign in to follow this  
Crabbycanary3

Andreas Weimann

No rumour, but he is available, and Derby look favourites to get him at the mo.

Always liked his style, and appreciate his consistency may have been an issue recently, but none of us seem to underestimate what AN can do to enhance any players performances (skip past the pun here please!)

I would like him in our squad. Anyone else think that he wouldn''t be a bad shout?

wouldnt say no,  talented and quick if inconsistent forward;  Not ideally the type of forward I was looking for.    Can he play left?  might be good competition for the wide left berth?    Much dependent on his wages but at 23 would seem to have time on his side    

I like the idea as well, whilst wondering why he lost his more or less regular place in the Villa starting line up.

Does he want out or does Sherwood want to replace him with better? Villa look set to lose Benteke, so, if the former is true, then they could be in a bit of trouble next season, to our advantage.

Price tag?  £6-8m?

Another in a long list of "prospective signings" that are simply not good enough or just don''t bring anything extra to the squad.

Simple test for rhese should be something like this.......

1) Did they get relegated this year - if yes, discount

2) Did they spend most of the year injured - again, if yes discount

3) Are they being shipped out from a team that will be there or there about us next year - agian if yes........

4) Would you put them in the starting XI - for a change if no.........

I don''t think you should be as rigid in your thinking as that Big Fish

The player may have suffered purely because of his Manager being under pressure etc, and the Manager may not be good enough to have sussed out what is the best way to get the most out of that particular individual

I thought Weiman was older than 23, Lambert was after him when we got promoted last time...

My Derby supporting mate at works well connected at the club and recons this is more or less a done deal.

Im suprised no other prem clubs have tried to sign him.

Apparently for only £2m as well! We must have better irons in our fire or he must love playing with Darren Bent.

[quote user="BigFish"]Another in a long list of "prospective signings" that are simply not good enough or just don''t bring anything extra to the squad.

3) Are they being shipped out from a team that will be there or there about us next year - agian if yes........

4) Would you put them in the starting XI - for a change if no.........[/quote]

Don''t quite go along with that Fish.

No1. How about Charlie Austin? Or Ings? I wouldn''t mind Curtis Davies either. In fact, Steve Bruce accumulated some good players at Hull and I feel that they were unlucky last season, especially with injuries, eg. Snoddy.

No. 2. Agree totally.

No. 3. Ditto.

No. 4. Not quite. It''s a squad game nowadays so the question really should be, "Would you put them in the squad?"

Re: Weimann. I wouldn''t know of his recent injury record, but would have him in our squad. 

Weimann''s key problem is that he doesn''t really fit properly into ANY of the main forward positions in an out and out way.He''s not tricky enough for a Hucks style winger, he''s not accurate enough to focus more on crossing, he''s not strong enough to play as a lone front man and lead the line, nor does he have the range of passing and guile to sit behind a front man in the Wes role, and finally he isn''t prolific or natural gifted enough to play as a pure goalscorer like a Bent/Defoe type player.What he does offer however is flexibility and a good turn of pace, which in the right setup could be pretty dangerous, but that setup doesn''t strike me as one that AN is going to be utilising, meaning that he''d simply be signing as backup when we really need to focus on improving the first XI as a priority IMHO.Would be a good signing for Derby but I really think we can do better.

If Weimann and Bent are apparently joining Derby can we put in a cheeky bid for Chris Martin?

Yes he''s an ex player but he has morphed in to a Grant Holt type since leaving Norwich and Derby''s season died the moment he got injured.

I think he''d be a decent prospect for a team of Norwich''s size. We''re newly promoted, we aren''t going to be pulling in the international signings like last time in the PL.

I''d give Martin a go...

Weimann has achieved what to be worth such a claim?

I think he averages 5 goals a premier league season when playing regularly.... He''s not a bad player - but Martin would give you so much more. Weimann is like a wes replacement where as Martin would be a leader and a force.

Lewis, first of all I wouldn''t expect Weimann to play the same role as Martin, I have seen him play off Benteke and he is very effective. Weimann isn''t a ''hold the ball up'' type of player that Martin can be

I would say that Weimann offers far more pace, age and experience in the Top flight, than Martin.

Martin hasn''t played in the Prem like Weimann, so you cannot justifiably say that Martin would offer so much more. that is just your opinion.

Yeh, great that Martin could (not would, as you say) be a leader and a force, but who says Weimann couldn''t?

Martin hasn''t been snapped up by any Prem team yet and is 26, so time is running out for him. I am not saying he is a bad player at all, but believe that Weimann would be a better option

Weimann played on the left of a front 3 with Benteke & Agbonlahor under Lambert so if anything he is a left winger, not a striker and not a player in Hoolahans mould.

Much rather see Jordan Rhodes than Chris Martin.

Perhaps not a ''pure'' out and out winger, but someone who attacks,coming in at an angle, a bit like Redmond has done recently. Pace at that angle, is horrendous to deal with as a defender, and he would be a useful addition, but it looks like this debate may be fruitless anyway, if he goes to Derby

I''d sign him up quickly.
Since Whitaker upped his game, we need a new scapegoat.  A player who runs around a lot but delivers very little end product would be a perfect acquisition to fill this vacancy.

[quote user="Bor Bor Bor"]I''d sign him up quickly.
Since Whitaker upped his game, we need a new scapegoat.  A player who runs around a lot but delivers very little end product would be a perfect acquisition to fill this vacancy.
[/quote]Nail on the head!He doesn''t seem to have much end product, and I don''t think he is good enough to spend £2m on. We need to focus on quality rather than quantity as our squad isn''t exactly bad (and look what happened to Spurs and Liverpool with the Bale/Suarez money, when they prioritised quantity over quality). I think we''ve dodged a bullet, as he is no better than our current options and there are players out there who would offer plenty more than Weimann.

[quote user="BigFish"]Another in a long list of "prospective signings" that are simply not good enough or just don''t bring anything extra to the squad.

4) Would you put them in the starting XI - for a change if no.........[/quote]

Does Dorrans not fall foul of 3 and 4? We need to keep with reality here. The likes of Austin, Dawson, Huddlestone, Ings & Phillips were relegated and I suspect we would all be delighted if they rucked up at Carrow Rd. Players at relegated teams, decent champs teams or even your WBA or Palace type teams are where we are going to be shopping this summer.

Just because a player has been relegated with a club doesn''t automatically mean they are the wrong type of player. If this was the case 90% of our squad are doomed.