Sign in to follow this  
James Kent

Flemming was fans player of the year when we won the first division championship

I have to disagree with a number of canary fans and say that Fleming is undoubtably up to the job in the championship.  We won this divsion with malky and flem.  A lot of teams will sit back against us and try and shut up shop.  I have every faith in Fleming and will have another great year for us.  I hope that Fleming and Shackell will be our first choice central defense.

Completely agree with you! He was not good enough for the prem but he will be ok again in div 1(old money) alongside Shacks.

Lets face it....the quality of strikers is completely different in both leagues hence the reason he was exposed last yr. But i really dont see the sense in us panicing  about the centre of defence.

Green

Colin             Fleming                    Shackell            Drury

Marney         Jarrett                      Safri                Hucks

McKenzie             Ashton.

If you ask me i think its a very strong spine to the team!!

That was 2 year ago though, go back a further year and Iwan was top goalscorer.  Would you advocate him playing up front.  I''m not totally disagreeing, Flem should be capable at this level.  I just don''t think that "he was once player of the season" is a good enough reason for him to be in the team come Saturday. 

[quote]Gary Holt was player of the season before that. What''s your point?[/quote]

Mook: Your recent posts have been brilliant. Making me laugh at work. I agree with everything your saying at the moment! Why do people judge some players so quickly and not others? Shackell* and Safri both had some disastrous games when they started playing for City, didn''t jump on their back though... why Doherty?

1. Craig Fleming is past it.

2. Give Gary Doherty a chance.

End of.

*Palace away, championship winning season... awful.

And your point is what? Face it, he is

1) Two years older than the last time we played in this league

2) Mentally scarred after being torn to pieces last season

3) Nervous and seemingly blameless when we concede.

Times move on, players and situations change, so must we.

Admittedly, great player when we were promoted, but I am not so sure now. 

Sure teams will sit back and invite us on to them, but all the more reason to have a good central defender when those balls come into the box, or are knocked over the midfield for players to chase.

Prove me wrong by all means, but at the moment, I am not convinced.

Fleming played well that season. However, we all knew he had shortcomings and they were brutally exposed time after time last season.

I think we need to prepare for the future. Maybe he should get a fair few games, but I''d certainly prefer to see Doherty get more and more games as being 24 he''s actually going to improve, whereas Fleming''s clearly on the slippery slope to non-league footy. 

well for one thing we finished 8th that season, not first.  My point is no more than Fleming is a quality player at this level.  The prem may be beyond him but the championship is not.

Fleming''s no longer good enough to be first choice alongside Shackell. The Doc can play better there (and he gives us a good attacking option at set pieces) or Jurgen Colin. But, please, not Flem. 

[quote]Fleming played well that season. However, we all knew he had shortcomings and they were brutally exposed time after time last season. I think we need to prepare for the future. Maybe he should get a...[/quote]

100% spot on.

Its about the future, what happens if we play flem all season and we get promoted.

We either do a malky and then get someone in or we stick with him in the prem.

I think thats unlikely as he will be another year older.

We have to build around Shackell and Colin, so we have a good defence NOW that won`t take half a dozen games in the prem to get going.

A lot of team in the prem have proved you can be successful just by NOT shipping lots of goals.

Worthy has done tremendous business this summer. (considering he has brought in more money than he has spent without the Francis deal)

If he just took the Francis money and bought a quality young centre half I don`t think anybody here would have one single complaint.

Ive made the point on here before that Flem doesnt organize the defence very well, and at the end of last season it seemed as though shacks was far more vocal. You could see shacks telling the defence to push out all the time, whilst flem was happy to sit back. I think the doc should get the call-up first, he''s an Ireland international for Gawds sake! I know he couldnt clear a ball with his feet if his life depended on it, but he aint all bad.

yeah i agree at the moment it is too soon to play shacks and doc together, fleming and shackell at the beginning for sure, fleming will be read championship football so wel IMO!

lets be havin you!!!! come on u yellows!!!