Sign in to follow this  
Crabbycanary3

Who's going down?

no, no, no, NO, not that, but who do people think will get relegated from the Prem, this coming season.

My thoughts, before most of the transfers have taken place are;

Watford, Villa and Newcastle (purely based on the McLaren factor)

I can''t see Bournemouth surviving. I think they''ll be found out at this level, and whilst they might surprise a few people, score a few goals and get a couple of famous wins, I think they''ll ship too many at the other end.Sunderland will struggle again, and being the new boys, unfortunately us and Watford probably will too. I can also see Leicester suffering from ''second season syndrome'', and as a surprise package, West Ham as Bilic adapts.I think Villa and Newcastle will do enough to be OK.

I think it will be 3 from a familiar set of Norwich, Bournemouth, Watford, Villa, Sunderland, Leicester & Newcastle.

My far too early prediction dependent upon signings is Bournemouth, Villa & Sunderland.

Three from Bournemouth, Watford, Leicester and us. With a significant strengthening of the right side of our defence, we stand a fighting chance of 17th.

I think that the best way of approaching this matter at this early stage might be to ask the question as to what teams are currently in a worse position than we are.

Defeatist? Not really as all newly promoted teams are expected to have a hard time of it at first.

Bournemouth and Watford, who knows? Watford seem the more unstable but what the will the new manager be like? Could be an inspired appointment, could be a disaster. Not ideal when entering the PL anew.

Occasionally mini-clubs, with poor support, like Bournemouth elevate themselves to be amongst the lofty eg. Swindon, but they never last. They might survive a season on momentum, but any star performer will eventually want out.

I wouldn''t want to be in the shoes of a Villa supporter as the season approaches. Sherwood seems a bit of a maverick character and will likely upset players and supporters sooner rather than later. I doubt they''ll get good enough results to protect him.

I wouldn''t want to support a club going into the season with McClaren as boss and the Toon support are already underwhelmed despite the fact that Steve gave a radio interview recently in a very passable Geordie accent.

Trouble there, I feel. Ditto Sunderland, who by digging themselves out of trouble last season in the manner they did, might actually be complacent.

They have become habitual relegation dodgers though.

In sum, it would seem to be the clubs with some degree of turmoil that might struggle and even though they might currently have better players than us, we are stable.

Well it''s a lottery from about 8th place downwards in my book.

Picking 3 names though, i''m going to go with Watford, Villa and Palace.

I think Watford have too much work to do on their team apart from their strikers.

Palace are still a main striker light (I don''t think Murray will carry on his good form) and Pardew has previous with going bad after a good honeymoon period. I think they would struggle if they lost momentum as well.

I also think Villa will lose Benteke and won''t know what to do. Their team needs a lot of work as it is but I suppose if they keep Vlaar, that spine of him and delph with Okore coming back looks good.

Literally could be any of the bottom 12 though, so i''ll probably think it''ll be someone different next week!

I think this thread should be revisited again when clubs have made their summer signings, at least thats when I''ll form an opinion.

Newcastle will be an interesting team to look at because M Ashley has said that he''ll be spending a lot of money in the summer, whether they will or not is a different thing. It also wouldn''t surprise me if McClaren had a good first 3/4 of the season with them either

Watford, Leicester, Sunderland and Villa will be the 4 that fight out out.

Hilarious that some of you think we''ll be involved. relegated under Alex Neil? Can you really see that happening? We''ll finish between 10th and 15th slipping completely under the radar, playing decent enough football

Bournemouth will be okay as well, they''re consistent and will get enough results against the bottom 12 teams

If we have a decent points tally by the time the FA cup rolls around and if we''re still in the league cup I''d love us to go all out and try to win one! Another day at Wembley and to shut the binners up forever would be fantastic

That was my point Mrs M, just having a look at teams as they are now, before the transfers get really going. Yes, let''s have another look at the end of the transfer window, it will be very interesting to see who splashes the cash in the right direction

Villa really look like they are going to lose Benteke and Vlaar, and now that Delph seems to be our ''answer'' at International level, then he might be looking higher, and with Sherwood in charge of a team that close to the abyss, they could be in a whole lot of doggy doo doo.

Interesting views on Palace, as much as I don''t like Pardew, there must surely be 3 worse teams than them?

I feel that Bournemouth will be ok, just

Confident about us, (although I was in Hughton''s last year as well!)

Sunderland would be my next choice at the mo, but Advocaat is a canny manager, and it will depend on his signings, after sailing close to the wind last season

If Benteke leaves then I can see Vlaar and possibly Delph jumping ship from Villa too, putting them into a big pile of brown stuff

Don''t worry Paul101, I''m not asking for any of your money, just a harmless thread wondering what people''s thoughts are , as at 15th Jun. (Slow news week, if you want to call it something)

I bet there will be at least two or more threads, asking very similar questions, before the season finishes.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing

West Ham - their fans should be careful what they wish for. A number of teams have really struggled "post big Sam" & it would be funny if they were relegated just before moving to their new stadium next season. Watford might struggle as their squad have limited prem experience and they will no doubt change manager about 5 times during the course of the season. There is usually 1 surprise team who appear to have bought well but it all goes badly wrong - us & Hull in the last 2 seasons. So, i will go for a wild card 3rd team and say Swansea.

I look at 4 main factors when deciding on relegation candidates :-1) Poor football2) Poor manager3) Poorly run club4) Small size of clubThe first three factors are somewhat interlinked, but if a clubs scores highly on at least two of these then I''d put them down for further consideration as a relegation candidate.At least the top six are exempt from being considered due to factor 4, and the same has helped Newcastle, Sunderland and Villa scrape over the line in recent seasons. Spending on players/wages is generally governed by factors 3 and 4.I think I''ll reserve judgement on who''s going down except to say that I think Norwich and Bounemouth will survive, the latter fairly comfortably. Both have exceptional managers and I don''t expect them to be in danger because of factors 1 and 3 (although in Norwich''s case 3 is usually a bit of an achilles heel).

Newcastle, Villa, Leicester.

all 3 to implode spectacularly for varying reasons..

I think Newcastle will be top 4 on boxing day as well, before failing to win a single game for the rest of the season.

[quote user="Highland Canary"]Three from Bournemouth, Watford, Leicester and us. With a significant strengthening of the right side of our defence, we stand a fighting chance of 17th.[/quote]

Well surely not then. Who Alex Neil and the board sign will be irrelevant. If it''s between these four then surely the club that blinks first, sacks the manager and rescues Lennon from his wilderness years at Bolton will be the club to survive. 

Sky Bet have Watford as favourites to go down then us and then Bournemouth. How we have shorter odds the Bournemouth for the drop leaves me gobsmacked.

Leicester, Sunderland and Watford. Villa will be another struggler with West Ham imo. Bournemouth and us to finish mid table. This is based on nothing but prejudice.

BournemouthLeicesterand going out on a limbWest Ham (europa league is the kiss of death, and like him or not letting big sam go is a hell of a risk)