Sign in to follow this  
Lewis Esquire

Make Austin our Key Signing...

What a statement that would be...

Charlie Austin has so much potential and could be awesome leading our front line.

I know it''s unrealistic but I''d love to see McNally and co throw £12-£15 million at QPR and get this English gem.

He''s got more to offer than Rhodes or Ings - I genuinely think he would guarantee our safety - we''re better than QPR surely???!

I think Newcastle will go all out to get him, which is a bidding war I doubt we could win.

I get where you are coming from... and I also understand a lot of rumours are just ''paper talk'' - they tend to get blown out of all proportion by the media. I genuinely believe the Newcastle rumour stems from Alan Shearer tweeting Austin saying he should join Newcastle. That isn''t to say he wont join NUFC, I just think it''s lazy journalism.

There is a part of me think there are players out there that would want to join Norwich over clubs like Newcastle, to be the main guy - the top dog... Whether Austin is one of them, or if Neil even wants to sign him is anyone include the newspapers guess.

To add, If I was a player, Newcastle would be one of the least appealing Premier Leagues to join for me. They''ve just got a new manager in who I think will do alright for them, but as a club - they are a bit of mess.

I would agree with you but I think you have said it already.

Newcastle are a bit of a mess with a new manager coming in to sort it out.

If Austin has ambitions to play for England then Maclaren may well be the better option for him. And when you look at that Newcastle strike force, you would think that Austin would have a good chance of being a top dog there.

I''m not saying he wouldn''t have that chance here, but given the right circumstances Newcastle could be pushing for Europe, and much more consistently so than us at this point.

That''s not to say he wouldn''t chose us, I just think you sort of contradict yourself in that statement. It is a bit lazy to dismiss it out of hand, and it would be quite a big coup if we landed him, but I don''t think it is unfair to say that if given the chance, he''d be more likely to choose Newcastle.

There''s no chance of Austin coming here. Not only won''t the club spend the kind of fee needed to capture him, he is not going to jump out of the frying pan and into the fire. He won''t want to have another relegation battle next season and with a reputed £50 million to invest in new players nor will Newcastle. Until we really establish ourselves in the premier league such transfers are hIghly unlikely.

Even if we offered him the very best wage package we have available, he still wouldn''t pick us.

I''m pretty sure every club outside the top 6 are looking at him.

But he fits the bill with McNally saying we''re more interested in home grown talent.

Plus, if we''re not going for total overhaul, and only get a few quality players to strengthen, maybe we''re prepared to spend a bit more on quality like Austin?

If we''re going for quality over quantity, which we clearly should be, then I think we should at least try for Austin. Chances are we won''t get him (he''ll probably end up at Newcastle) but he has to be worth going for with a £8-10m bid. He might enjoy being a big fish in a relatively small pond, and if we can get him in, it would be a real statement of intent to maybe increase our pulling power with regards to other signings.

He will stay in the premiership but needs his head looking at if he goes to Newcastle. yes i know the sleeping giant bit but they as a club are a car crash with an owner who does not want to be there and a manager just sacked by a championship club because he could not manage a top 6 position. I think his fee is well out of our grasp and probably nearer £20m than 10 but whi knows.if we pick up a few good freebies than there would be cash for one gem or potential gem, please not another overseas gamble

We ought to be signing players like Austin at a similar stage to when he moved to QPR for £4-5m. We''d be paying roughly 2-4 times that if we bought him now, and would have much less potential for making a profit. It would be a gamble with the odds very much out of our favour, at least from a financial perspective.

I''ve yet to see what the fuss is about with Aistin to be honest. Ditto with Ings. Yes they are reasonable strikers but Austin doesn''t have any pace and it would not surprise me if he struggles to replicate his form next season in the same way Holty did after he had a great first season in the prem.

Certainly don;t think its a given that either will outperform Jerome or even Hooper if he is given a proper run in the team. If we are going to bring in an extra striker then I think a genuinely pacy option is what we need.

I''m not actually sure how good he is, nor Ings - it seems that one ok season in the top flight makes a guy the best thing since sliced bread nowadays. IMO we''d be far better not putting our eggs in one basket.

If Newcaste sign Austin, I wonder if we could make a move for Papisse Cisse. Exploded onto the scene scoring in every game, then had a few barren years before having another good season last year. A possibility.

[quote user="mrs miggins"]If Newcaste sign Austin, I wonder if we could make a move for Papisse Cisse. Exploded onto the scene scoring in every game, then had a few barren years before having another good season last year. A possibility.[/quote]Interesting idea actually.

If I remember correctly, Harry Redknapp only signed Charlie Austin at QPR because he couldn''t get Gary Hooper. So that''s us already sorted with the better player then!...

[quote user="93vintage"]We ought to be signing players like Austin at a similar stage to when he moved to QPR for £4-5m. We''d be paying roughly 2-4 times that if we bought him now, and would have much less potential for making a profit. It would be a gamble with the odds very much out of our favour, at least from a financial perspective.[/quote]The thing is, a proven Championship goalscorer at the age Austin was when QPR signed him will cost more than £4-5m now. It is only two years later, but fees are rising all the time in this country. Similar players now would be Rhodes or Assombalonga (if he wasn''t injured) and they''d cost more than £4-5m.[quote user="Jim Smith"]I''ve yet to see what the fuss is about with

Aistin to be honest. Ditto with Ings. Yes they are reasonable strikers

but Austin doesn''t have any pace and it would not surprise me if he

struggles to replicate his form next season in the same way Holty did

after he had a great first season in the prem.

Certainly don;t think its a given that either will outperform Jerome or

even Hooper if he is given a proper run in the team. If we are going to

bring in an extra striker then I think a genuinely pacy option is what

we need.[/quote][quote user="Branston Pickle"]I''m not actually sure how good he is, nor

Ings - it seems that one ok season in the top flight makes a guy the

best thing since sliced bread nowadays. IMO we''d be far better not

putting our eggs in one basket.[/quote]77The difference between Holt and Austin is age. Holt was 31 when he finished his first season in the Premier League- Austin is still only 25, and will still have some value even if he can''t replicate his form from last season. I wouldn''t go over £10m though, because of the ''eggs in one basket'' theory. I can''t see him going for any more than £12m, personally.[quote user="mrs miggins"]If Newcaste sign Austin, I wonder if we could

make a move for Papisse Cisse. Exploded onto the scene scoring in every

game, then had a few barren years before having another good season last

year. A possibility.[/quote]I wouldn''t fancy him. He''d command a fortune in wages, and at the age of 30, he''d probably be happy to get a big final pay-day and wind his career down.

Used to say that we should sign Austin when he was at Swindon and I''d still be very pleased if we got him now.

Good shout Yorkshire re Newcastle - no-one should ever underestimate their ability to implode (their fans have no illusions that''s for sure), Mackems are already eyeing another derby double after this week and we should be looking to finish above them too. Cashwise yes, any ambitious footballer would look at Newcastle over us (I know I would if I had the talent and the chance), but I was still at school the last time they won anything meaningful and I''d back AN to win something for us before they do it again. Big Club Newcastle? ... yeh, right!

"Interesting idea actually."

Don''t sound too surprised M ;)

(although, as another poster pointed out he is 30, if we could get 2 years out of him in which he scores 15 goals a season, it will be worth it)

Just to add to my point though, there aren''t many strikers in the english leagues that we''re likely to get and/or who would also be good enough. There will be a swarm around Austin and out of about 15 clubs wanting him, he''s unlikely to come here.

The likes of Valencia and Sakho (Hammers) are unlikely to want to move away. Someone like Shane Long is expensive (rumoured to have been sold for £12m to Southampton) yet also doesn''t score enough goals (scored 5 last year, 4 the year before). Championship goal scorers like Britt Assombalonga would cost a lot and are probably not good enough, scoring 15 goals compared to chris martin''s 18 and 20 goals this season and last (of whom we know isn''t good enough for the PL). Ross Mccormack would cost a bit considering Fulham paid £11m for him as well.

Jordan Rhodes would do the job, but apparently they want £12m for him, which again is too much for that type of player, especially when we can take a different type of gamble on someone abroad in which we could get someone like Pelle (Southampton), Cisse (when he first came to Newcastle as well as last season...got the same number of goals as Danny Ings) Benteke (Villa) Bony (swansea/man c) Sakho/Valencia (WH) etc etc and make a smart purchase instead of someone like RVW who doesn''t look strong enough for the PL.

Imo we do need to gamble on oversees players in the striking department as the benefits outweigh the negatives. £8.5m isn''t that much money for a premier league team to spend on a striker, it isn''t the big money move that everyone talks about, its big for Norwich, but I fully expect us to break that record again at some point this season. That is the sort of money we should be spending on players, especially strikers. We can afford to take that gamble even more now due to the fact we have a better team, as well as strikers.Just because the club made the terrible decision to buy RVW, it wasn''t the amount of money that we spent on him which made us see him as a failure, it was the fact that he only scored 1 goal (performance)..just like in the same way Becchio was a poor purchase. We shouldn''t be put off, firstly spending a bit, but also spending a bit on foreign players, there is too much to gain from it.I want us to grab a bargain like Southampton did with Pelle, like Swansea did with Michu and Bony (just sold for £30m), like Villa did with Benteke. There are deals to be had abroad when it comes to strikers, if we''re smart with our purchase it could go very well for us.

[quote user="Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man"][quote user="93vintage"]We ought to be signing players like Austin at a similar stage to when he moved to QPR for £4-5m. We''d be paying roughly 2-4 times that if we bought him now, and would have much less potential for making a profit. It would be a gamble with the odds very much out of our favour, at least from a financial perspective.[/quote]The thing is, a proven Championship goalscorer at the age Austin was when QPR signed him will cost more than £4-5m now. It is only two years later, but fees are rising all the time in this country. Similar players now would be Rhodes or Assombalonga (if he wasn''t injured) and they''d cost more than £4-5m.[/quote]That crossed my mind when I wrote it, but there''s still a potentially sizable difference even accounting for transfer fee inflation.I think we ought to avoid marquee signings so that if we ''fail'' then we limit our losses. Big gambles which fail would hurt us more that they would bigger clubs.In general we need to bet small and win big (mainly younger players), and go with value purchases.

[quote user="93vintage"][quote user="Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man"][quote user="93vintage"]We ought to be signing players like Austin at a similar stage to when he moved to QPR for £4-5m. We''d be paying roughly 2-4 times that if we bought him now, and would have much less potential for making a profit. It would be a gamble with the odds very much out of our favour, at least from a financial perspective.[/quote]The thing is, a proven Championship goalscorer at the age Austin was when QPR signed him will cost more than £4-5m now. It is only two years later, but fees are rising all the time in this country. Similar players now would be Rhodes or Assombalonga (if he wasn''t injured) and they''d cost more than £4-5m.[/quote]That crossed my mind when I wrote it, but there''s still a potentially sizable difference even accounting for transfer fee inflation.I think we ought to avoid marquee signings so that if we ''fail'' then we limit our losses. Big gambles which fail would hurt us more that they would bigger clubs.In general we need to bet small and win big (mainly younger players), and go with value purchases.[/quote]Assuming you''re going to fail means that you are less likely to succeed though.Yeah lets not get ripped off, but we''re Premiership, we need to act like it!

[quote]If Newcaste sign Austin, I wonder if we could make a move for Papisse Cisse. Exploded onto the scene scoring in every game, then had a few barren years before having another good season last year. A possibility.[/quote]

Cisse is not worth the gamble at all, his attitude and off field antics is not what NC need.

Exactly M, there''s no need to be spending £2m on a striker when we can spend £10m. Yes the £10m player may end up being a flop, but on the other hand he might be the next best thing (again referring to Benteke, Bony etc). If we''re spending £2m on a striker he''s likely to not be very good

[quote user="mrs miggins"]Exactly M, there''s no need to be spending £2m on a striker when we can spend £10m. Yes the £10m player may end up being a flop, but on the other hand he might be the next best thing (again referring to Benteke, Bony etc). If we''re spending £2m on a striker he''s likely to not be very good[/quote]Last time we had the debt, so we all understood that there wasn''t a bottomless pit.We''re in a much better position than a lot of clubs now though.If people want to shed the "little old Norwich" label, then we need to show we''re in the Premiership to stay, and we mean business.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="93vintage"][quote user="Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man"][quote user="93vintage"]We ought to be signing players like Austin at a similar stage to when he moved to QPR for £4-5m. We''d be paying roughly 2-4 times that if we bought him now, and would have much less potential for making a profit. It would be a gamble with the odds very much out of our favour, at least from a financial perspective.[/quote]The thing is, a proven Championship goalscorer at the age Austin was when QPR signed him will cost more than £4-5m now. It is only two years later, but fees are rising all the time in this country. Similar players now would be Rhodes or Assombalonga (if he wasn''t injured) and they''d cost more than £4-5m.[/quote]That crossed my mind when I wrote it, but there''s still a potentially sizable difference even accounting for transfer fee inflation.I think we ought to avoid marquee signings so that if we ''fail'' then we limit our losses. Big gambles which fail would hurt us more that they would bigger clubs.In general we need to bet small and win big (mainly younger players), and go with value purchases.[/quote]Assuming you''re going to fail means that you are less likely to succeed though.Yeah lets not get ripped off, but we''re Premiership, we need to act like it![/quote]I meant if an individual transfer failed, but it probably wouldn''t hurt in the event of relegation if we could sell wantaways at a decent profit. However we''ve traditionally been somewhat careful with our buys and I expect having a Scotsman as manager means that we won''t act like a lottery winner on holiday in Las Vegas.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/newcastle-united-striker-papiss-cisse-9271935

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3111378/I-trusted-Papiss-never-needed-money-Girlfriend-jilted-Newcastle-footballer-went-holiday-got-MARRIED-hits-critics.html

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-23424012

Plus not forgetting on field

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2889304/Roberto-Martinez-Papiss-Cisse-s-elbow-Seamus-Coleman-unacceptable-sent-off.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/manchester-united/11452844/Jonny-Evans-and-Papiss-Cisse-charged-for-spitting-during-Newcastle-v-Manchester-United-clash.html

http://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/stoke-boss-pulis-cisse-shouldve-been-sent-3861811

Linked to gambling

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2337828/Papiss-Cisse-refuse-wear-Newcastle-shirt-Wonga-sponsorship.html