Sign in to follow this  
BroadstairsR

Kyle Walker and Jack Smith (retired.)

Walker_zpsis294fzo.png

Not such a bad suggestion? Ticks the right boxes. Fee should be reasonable @ £4m or even less as they get Trippier for £3.5m. Wages near our ceiling, but not going through it.

Besides Spurs are always a good bet when it comes to producing their own. They stand out amongst the top clubs in their ability at bringing youngsters through. Harry Kane is the latest. We have also done very well in getting decent players from there in the past, especially at full-back (Culverhouse, Bowen and more latterly Naughton,) and, not forgetting Crook and Poulston.

Go easy on me as this is my first suggestion on here since I got a right PinkUn  hammering for recommending good old Jack Smith, from Kettering reserves a few years ago. I genuinely thought that Jack, a never-say-die midfield clogger, could do a good job at Carrow Road and was well worth a punt. The ultimate unpolished diamond languishing in the lower leagues.

I was not to be proven wrong as Jack, handicapped by his unfashionable name and his propensity for wearing his socks around his ankles, nevertheless went on to have a distinguished career playing over one hundred games for Northampton reserves before returning to his previous profession as a plasterer''s mate.

Forget yer Fancy Dan foreigners, yer Fabio Tagliatellis, yer Roman Pavlyupchuckos, yer Denise Van Outens (?) we need more good old English stock in our game.

Does anybody remember Jack?

Would he have been worth a punt?

Are there more like him to be plucked from obscurity?

Thoughts?

We do need some more good old English stock. The problem is Kyle Walker is not good. Atrocious defending at times due to lapses in concentration, the only thing going for him is pace. Combined with Whits and he''d be ok.

Much rather have aforementioned Naughton back, always thought he was the better player.

A bit harsh on Walker KO>

You don''t play 137 games in the top league for Spurs and get eleven full England caps if you are "poor."

He might have weaknesses, but we are not really in a position to sign perfection just yet.

P.S. Jack has just emailed me saying that he would consider a return to the professional game and at NCFC if the terms were right. He is currently on £5k per week at Barratt''s (not including overtime.) so he would require a decent contract. Otherwise, he states, his best chance of appearing at Carrow Road is when we build the new stand.

Thoughts?

"Besides Spurs are always a good bet when it comes to producing their own."

He wasn''t produced by Spurs as he wasn''t one of "their own".

Both he and Naughton were signed from Sheff United in 2009 for a combined £9million.

As for £3-4million I think you could probably add a couple at least onto that - unless there is a reason for them wanting to get shot such as a possible injury issue/weakness. He''ll command a fee more likely to be £5-8million if you ask me.

To be honest, I''d be surprised if he was sold by Spurs. He''s only 25. He may not be brilliant but there are a few premier league teams that I could see him signing for and doing well with like Southampton (who may soon be without a right back), Liverpool and then I would throw Villa into the mix as well with the connections there.

Naughton is a good shout, he''s a year older and played 10 time s for Swansea.

Chicken - would you rate Naughton above Walker then?

When he''s ''on it'' Walker is a tremendous RB. Let''s not forget how Whitts was being chastised , not so long ago, so Walker , under AN, could become ''great'' again

Walker would be a good signing for Norwich - he obviously isn''t turning out to be the player some predicted but would still be a very good RB for a team in the lower half of the Prem.

As Chicken said I''m sure he would have a long list of suitors to take him should Tottenham decide they are willing to sell. I also suspect Walker is on a considerable sum of money for wages - considering he signed his current deal in 2013, when his form was at its peak (he also signed to 2019 so is in no rush to sign any new contracts).

Kyle Naughton is very much Swansea''s first choice RB, his appearances were limited due to injury (and the fact he only signed in January).

Shame as I fancied us to go for Trippier. Had a great season for Burnley though so no surprise he is being looked at by Spurs. As far as full backs go I thought George Friend was impressive last season and might fancy a step up? Can also play CB.

[quote user="Crabbycanary3"]Chicken - would you rate Naughton above Walker then?

When he''s ''on it'' Walker is a tremendous RB. Let''s not forget how Whitts was being chastised , not so long ago, so Walker , under AN, could become ''great'' again[/quote]

Nope. Naughton would be an England international by now if he was better.

People are slating Walker and I''m not really sure why. He''s a very decent full back and I am a bit surprised that people think he is lower premier league quality!

I could see him at a number of top half clubs. He''s a bit out of our league if I''m honest.

The only reason I could see that Spurs would want to shift him is either he doesn''t fit in with the new managers philosophy/plans for the team, or his injuries have them concerned that he isn''t the player he once was.

I can see why people aren''t overly impressed with Walker. He''s not a particularly "great" player. His defensive positioning and reading of the game is pretty average (at best) for Premier League level and his use of the ball is the same. But what he does have is a lot of pace which he can use to bail himself out and makes him a threat going forward.

[quote user="GJP"]

I can see why people aren''t overly impressed with Walker. He''s not a particularly "great" player. His defensive positioning and reading of the game is pretty average (at best) for Premier League level and his use of the ball is the same. But what he does have is a lot of pace which he can use to bail himself out and makes him a threat going forward.

[/quote]

A right footed Olsson then - perfect - sign him up.

He is better than we have - we should be interested but I suspect more established sides will take him first.

I agree. I''d certainly have him here.

Though I imagine what he''d cost in wages (regardless of any fees) would probably mean our money would be better spent elsewhere.

I think Jack Smith is a binner. His brother Black definitely is because he looks after the boots at poorman road.

Jack Smith has plenty of cousins over here, the O''Smiths and the MacSmiths, they are cousins of each other too, Donal and Dermot, Declan and Denzil, respectively. They currently play inter county Gaelic Football, which, funnily enough, includes outfield players using their hands on the ball (city) and on each other.

Anyone interested should tune into Kerry v Cork in the Munster(seriously) senior Final at 2pm tomorrow.

A guaranteed 70 + mins of thrills spills and the odd punch up, oh ,and you get three pts for hitting the back of the net and one pt for sticking the ball over the bar. Other than that , there doesnt seem to be any rules.

Enjoy, and please watch out for any players that we should get in.

[quote user="can u sit down please"]Don''t wanna start a new thread my source may see, but George friend has turned us down.

Shame. Very good player.[/quote]That is a shame, he looked a damn good player on the few occasions I saw him, and he''d certainly have made Olsson work to keep that starting spot.

If anyone thinks we can get kyle walker than you are mental.

No way.

a) They would want £10m +

b) He''s probably on £50k + a week

c) He wouldn''t come here