Sign in to follow this  
kick it off

Lee Darnborough appointed head of recruitment

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"] The club have the ''Football Board'' which will sit to decide transfers. How the power is shared between the members; McNally, Ricky Martin, Alex Neil and the Head of Recruitment is unclear though.

[/quote]

As Big Vince seems to have been present when all major decisions have been made over the last couple of decades he should surely be able to answer this. [:P]

TIL 1010 wrote the following post at 18/06/2015 8:00 PM:

Bethnal Yellow and Green wrote:

The club have the ''Football Board'' which will sit to decide transfers. How the power is shared between the members; McNally, Ricky Martin, Alex Neil and the Head of Recruitment is unclear though.

As Big Vince seems to have been present when all major decisions have been made over the last couple of decades he should surely be able to answer this. Stick out tongue [:P]

Till you got that one wrong - your troll buddy Bethnal knows the truth on who makes decisions at the club

In an earlier post he stated that the quote made by Alex Neil was a lie regarding transfers - Bethnal stated he knows this because he works in media, no other reason other than that

What a joke you both are

Just checking, but you do know that just because someone disagrees with you, that doesn''t actually make them a troll?

morty wrote the following post at 18/06/2015 10:56 PM:

Just checking, but you do know that just because someone disagrees with you, that doesn''t actually make them a troll?

Morty you are absolutely correct - I looked the definition up the other day if you remember

How Till can criticize a postfrom Big V and then support someones view(Bethnal) after he admits that he made it up as the current manager is a liar truly amazes me. does it you ?

Till just trying to create conflict - not generate meaningful discussions - troll tendancies

As I said, it is impossible to know who is responsible for what from outside of the club - but Norwich wouldn''t appoint all these people and put them onto a ''Footballing Board'' for no reason.

When Alex Neil first joined I suspected he might not have massive control, considering his age and experience, I assumed he was working more as a ''Head Coach'' - however over the course of the season I''ve become less sure of that.

I take any comments to the media from Neil or McNally make though with a pinch of salt. Especially comments made by Alex Neil before he had even signed a contract at Norwich.

Even after all these years I am astonished that people take things they read as being 100% gospel, as though everyone is fully honest all the time. The media will more than happily take comments entirely out of context, and in turn people have learned not to be perhaps as fully open and honest as they might otherwise be. That is just a fact of life.

Branston Pickle wrote the following post at 19/06/2015 2:00 PM:

Even after all these years I am astonished that people take things they read as being 100% gospel, as though everyone is fully honest all the time. The media will more than happily take comments entirely out of context, and in turn people have learned not to be perhaps as fully open and honest as they might otherwise be. That is just a fact of life.

Glad this has all been clarified - so lets see

We must not believe:-

Any direct quote from any member of the Board , Manager (plus Management / Coaching Team) or Player

We must not believe any post on this Board unless it comes from Bethnal or his close circle of  buddies

Got it - very confusing but we all need to get it right for the future as we all have to know our place

Bethnal please list all of the people who we must believe no matter what they say in future

Lets start with:-

Branston, TCC, Rich Bic, Tilly - who else (Are Chicken & Purple in or excluded - posts very lengthy & quite boring) ????????????

Finally - do we believe what the Owners say or do we need to refer to you & your clan for guidance on this ?

(We all believed the Club scoured the 4 corners of Euorpe for Adams - Yeah Right)

What about your accusation that Gunn was drunk on the job. Was that to be believed?

Unless I have missed the announcement, amid all these fantastic transfer rumours, we still don''t actually have a head of recruitment, or whatever modish title we are giving to the chief scout nowadays.

[quote user="Newton"]

Branston Pickle wrote the following post at 19/06/2015 2:00 PM:

Glad this has all been clarified - so lets see

We must not believe:-

Any direct quote from any member of the Board , Manager (plus Management / Coaching Team) or Player

We must not believe any post on this Board unless it comes from Bethnal or his close circle of  buddies

Got it - very confusing but we all need to get it right for the future as we all have to know our place

Bethnal please list all of the people who we must believe no matter what they say in future

Lets start with:-

Branston, TCC, Rich Bic, Tilly - who else (Are Chicken & Purple in or excluded - posts very lengthy & quite boring) ????????????

Finally - do we believe what the Owners say or do we need to refer to you & your clan for guidance on this ?

(We all believed the Club scoured the 4 corners of Euorpe for Adams - Yeah Right)

[/quote]Can we do away with this mythological quote as it never happened and Im tired of posters using it.Either post a link to it or stop using it.

To be fair to Tom Cavendish, perhaps the abuse is a tad uncalled for. I mean, if it wasn''t for him, I wouldn''t know that- Dorrans gets stuck-in a bit more than Howson but he doesn''t create much.

Seriously though if I started a new job in a restaurant and mouthed off to all my new colleagues that I was the absolute sh!t when it came to cooking- only for it to then come to light that anything exceeding a bacon sandwich in complexity completely befuddled me, I''d probably hold my hands up and say that''s fair enough, I deserve this.

One thing I certainly would not do, however, is continue to stake my claim as being a talented chef in the exact same manner- without ever actually producing something to demonstrate this.

Based on the above I''d say you deserve the abuse tw4t

Purple

Whilst Norwich may not have a Head of Recruitment, they do have a Chief Scout - Joseph Savage - he came down from Hamilton (where else?) in May. Here''s his LinkedIn page https://www.linkedin.com/pub/joseph-savage/a9/529/62a

Molly

Bowkett made the now infamous quote about searching Europe for a manager.

http://www.canaries.co.uk/news/article/20140523-alan-bowkett-norwich-city-1571998.aspx

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]Purple

Whilst Norwich may not have a Head of Recruitment, they do have a Chief Scout - Joseph Savage - he came down from Hamilton (where else?) in May.
Here''s his LinkedIn page https://www.linkedin.com/pub/joseph-savage/a9/529/62a

Molly

http://www.canaries.co.uk/news/article/20140523-alan-bowkett-norwich-city-1571998.aspx[/quote]Thanks, Bethnal. I hadn''t noticed that appointment.

I wasn''t widely reported - certainly Archant have never mentioned it to my knowledge. It was mentioned in the Sunday Times in the build up to the play-off game, but the article sits behind a pay wall.

(Here http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/sport/football/article1559738.ece)

In an interview with AN in the Herald back in 2014 Savage''s role at Accies was described as "full-time games-analyst and player-recruitment" and Alex Neil described him as "vital". (Here: http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/football/stand-out-football-nursery-is-not-just-for-show-and-tell.25509141).

Whether he is working mainly of the player recruitment side now, or is around to help AN with match analysis is unclear. I suspect Norwich will still look to bring in a "Head of Recruitment".

What would be a concern is if the club are allowing AN to make all the decisions on back room staff, as should Norwich need to change manager again for any reason we will see the wholesale clear out of staff that happened when both Lambert and Hughton left. Not great for continuity.

[quote]

user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]Purple Whilst Norwich may not have a Head of Recruitment, they do have a Chief Scout - Joseph Savage - he came down from Hamilton (where else?) in May. Here''s his LinkedIn page https://www.linkedin.com/pub/joseph-savage/a9/529/62a Molly Bowkett made the now infamous quote about searching Europe for a manager. http://www.canaries.co.uk/news/article/20140523-alan-bowkett-norwich-city-1571998.aspx

[/quote]

He said,

“If we’d have appointed Neil 10 days ago we’d have faced the criticism that it’s nepotism and that you’re not really looking at the market.  So Neil can hold his head up high,” he said.

“We have looked in Germany, we have looked in Italy, looked in Spain, throughout the British Isles.

“For all the things we were looking for in terms of vision, progressive attitude, coaching skills, hunger for the job, ability to deliver professionalism and hard work – Neil came out on top.”

Bowkett also believes the current squad will be up to the task, but added that Adams will have room to manoeuvre in the transfer market too.

“We’ve managed our finances prudently so that we’re in a situation that we can hold on to all our players in the Championship,” he said.

“This squad can do an exceptional job in the Championship. However, there are opportunities to add to that squad and improve it, and we have the finances to do that.”

Read more at http://www.canaries.co.uk/news/article/20140523-alan-bowkett-norwich-city-1571998.aspx#D2sXIe1WvZyXoWkw.99

Germany, Italy & Spain can hardly be considered scouring the whole of Europe.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]Purple

Whilst Norwich may not have a Head of Recruitment, they do have a Chief Scout - Joseph Savage - he came down from Hamilton (where else?) in May. Here''s his LinkedIn page https://www.linkedin.com/pub/joseph-savage/a9/529/62a

Molly

http://www.canaries.co.uk/news/article/20140523-alan-bowkett-norwich-city-1571998.aspx[/quote]That`s the NCFC official site miss quoting what Bowkett said too as the press conference is on Youtube.Bowkett said " We had a very strong internal candidate and in any modern company if you have a strong internal candidate you have to benchmark against what is available in the marketplace and the reason that we took longer than we wanted to take is because that we did a review of the German market, Italian market, the Spanish market and the whole of the British Isles to look for the candidate that stood the best chance of getting us promotion as soon as possible. And the things we were looking for, as well as the experience, which you have raised (reporter) is some of the basic things such as coaching skills, leadership, vision, hard work, aggressive attitude, hunger for the job and a commitment to do it the Norwich way. And Neil (Adams) easily came top of that in terms of the various attributes."Now I was no supporter of the appointment of Adams, however if you look at the attributes they were looking for and taking into consideration the limitations of the search, then barring "experience" which the reporter was asking about then Adams fitted the criteria perfectly. Whether the criteria was correct is a different matter but what many missed was the " benchmarked against what is available" part of the answer to the reporters question. I do not know how many possible candidates came up from their review or indeed how many were approached but if you are using the criteria as set out by Bowkett then barring experience Adams was a strong candidate.Still searching for the words and phrases "scoured" "the whole of Europe" or indeed "the four corners of Europe"

[quote user="Molly Windley"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]Purple

Molly

http://www.canaries.co.uk/news/article/20140523-alan-bowkett-norwich-city-1571998.aspx[/quote]That`s the NCFC official site miss quoting what Bowkett said too as the press conference is on Youtube.Bowkett said " We had a very strong internal candidate and in any modern company if you have a strong internal candidate you have to benchmark against what is available in the marketplace and the reason that we took longer than we wanted to take is because that we did a review of the German market, Italian market, the Spanish market and the whole of the British Isles to look for the candidate that stood the best chance of getting us promotion as soon as possible. And the things we were looking for, as well as the experience, which you have raised (reporter) is some of the basic things such as coaching skills, leadership, vision, hard work, aggressive attitude, hunger for the job and a commitment to do it the Norwich way. And Neil (Adams) easily came top of that in terms of the various attributes."Now I was no supporter of the appointment of Adams, however if you look at the attributes they were looking for and taking into consideration the limitations of the search, then barring "experience" which the reporter was asking about then Adams fitted the criteria perfectly. Whether the criteria was correct is a different matter but what many missed was the " benchmarked against what is available" part of the answer to the reporters question. I do not know how many possible candidates came up from their review or indeed how many were approached but if you are using the criteria as set out by Bowkett then barring experience Adams was a strong candidate.Still searching for the words and phrases "scoured" "the whole of Europe" or indeed "the four corners of Europe"[/quote]I forgot to put the Youtube link up which is on the official Norwich City TV account.Following the miss quoting on the Official NCRC website of what Bowkett said the Youtube account wrongly titles the video Norwich City Press Conference : Chairman on Europe Wide Search. Thats two miss quotes from official NCFC sites or accounts, if I was Bowkett I would not be happy ( I personally would be livid)  to be miss quoted by the clubs own website and Youtube channel.https://youtu.be/DY4PlX3JDGs

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]"Scoured Europe" did come from the club:

https://twitter.com/NorwichCityFC/status/469933295380078592

Not from the mouth of the board themselves, but you can see why people confuse the two.[/quote]Its interesting just how much focus has been placed on the interpretation and context of this phrase.Obviously we wouldn''t even have had the conversation, had Neil Adams been successful.All easy in hindsight, isn''t it?

Shows why clubs spend such large money in the media training for players and managers, one misplaced word and the fans jump on it, and it can rumble on for years.

This is a case of a someone in the media team trying to sum up Bowkett''s words in a quick tweet, and it has hung over the club for a year now.

[quote user="Molly Windley"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]Purple

Molly

http://www.canaries.co.uk/news/article/20140523-alan-bowkett-norwich-city-1571998.aspx[/quote]That`s the NCFC official site miss quoting what Bowkett said too as the press conference is on Youtube.Bowkett said " We had a very strong internal candidate and in any modern company if you have a strong internal candidate you have to benchmark against what is available in the marketplace and the reason that we took longer than we wanted to take is because that we did a review of the German market, Italian market, the Spanish market and the whole of the British Isles to look for the candidate that stood the best chance of getting us promotion as soon as possible. And the things we were looking for, as well as the experience, which you have raised (reporter) is some of the basic things such as coaching skills, leadership, vision, hard work, aggressive attitude, hunger for the job and a commitment to do it the Norwich way. And Neil (Adams) easily came top of that in terms of the various attributes."Now I was no supporter of the appointment of Adams, however if you look at the attributes they were looking for and taking into consideration the limitations of the search, then barring "experience" which the reporter was asking about then Adams fitted the criteria perfectly. Whether the criteria was correct is a different matter but what many missed was the " benchmarked against what is available" part of the answer to the reporters question. I do not know how many possible candidates came up from their review or indeed how many were approached but if you are using the criteria as set out by Bowkett then barring experience Adams was a strong candidate.Still searching for the words and phrases "scoured" "the whole of Europe" or indeed "the four corners of Europe"[/quote]The other key phrase there is the one about hunger for the job, which was almost certainly code for Mackay not wantng it. As to the Europe thing, irrespective of exactly what words were used I don''t think there is any doubt Bowkett was trying to give the impression we had looked well beyond the United Kingdom. Posters may have frequently misquoted this, but in doing so haven''t gone too far beyond what was being implied.

Having read all six pages I am still none the wiser whether this chap Darnborough is on the payroll or not. [*-)]

[quote user="TIL 1010"]Having read all six pages I am still none the wiser whether this chap Darnborough is on the payroll or not. [*-)][/quote]Obviously no detective skills here....explains why they called you PC Unpromotable. [:S]

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]"Scoured Europe" did come from the club:

https://twitter.com/NorwichCityFC/status/469933295380078592

Not from the mouth of the board themselves, but you can see why people confuse the two.[/quote]Its interesting just how much focus has been placed on the interpretation and context of this phrase.Obviously we wouldn''t even have had the conversation, had Neil Adams been successful.All easy in hindsight, isn''t it?[/quote]
hindsight indeed.. a Media Faux pa on the part of the club who would have surely known after appointing Neil Adams full time just how these quotes would have been taken
"scouring europe"... (not the exact words and maybe not literally) to give the job to the bloke who already had it was a complete waste of everyones (Fans, Clubs, Adams, Media''s) time....
Either way.. who cares now!?

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]Finally announced.[/quote]Tom Cavendish must be gutted..........

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]Finally announced.[/quote]

Tom Cavendish must be gutted..........
[/quote]

He probably doesn''t know yet. It takes time for information to get to Hethersett.