Sign in to follow this  
Miss Bum Bum

What are the authorities doing to close down illegal streaming

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]Help!

My shiny new android box arrived this morning.

Flippin'' hell, I think I had less trouble understanding the flight deck of Concorde when in training with BA.

The instructions are sparse, they assume you know it all.

This might turn out to be a daft question as I have yet to get really stuck in.

None of the diagrams in the instructions include how to integrate a Sky box into the system (just tv and router.) Do they remain independent and do I connect the android via HDMI 2 as the Sky box is HMDI 1.?

AS I said, these queries might turn out to be simple, but answers, or even ridicule, might assist my grasp of it all.[/quote]Lots of set up guides on Youtube

Yes they will be totally independent, and yes you connect through separate HDMI.

piracy will only be stamped out once the internet becomes completely controlled by the isp''s, where the only sites that can be accessed are sponsored corporate ones restricting your browsing to what they allow you to. Clearly not a good thing

if you pay for it then fair play, enjoy your hd quality, but wind your neck in and dont moan about others that dont, because even if we eradicated it completely the prices wont go down (in face they are more likely to go up), youre a naive fool if you think it would be cheaper

i pay for now tv on day and week passes occasionally, and whilst its relatively cheap its still too expensive for what is ultimately pretty average coverage and no genuine choice of what game to watch, im given what THEY cover.give us 3pm kick off and choice of whatever match and ill happily subscribe at what are current over inflated unjustified prices

Love the way this post has transformed, it started with " What are the authorities doing to close down illegal streaming" and changed to "How to obtain illegal streaming"  !

Is using an android device illegal streaming though Swindon?

Surely it is just tuning into foreign stations who are broadcasting legally?

I am totally new to all this so I could be well off the mark.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]Is using an android device illegal streaming though Swindon?

I am totally new to all this so I could be well off the mark.[/quote]Its pretty much a grey area.

Hmm intresting...So the android box is basically a streaming device? You can do all that through a laptop anyway. Ace player, sopcast, flash streams, etc... what''s the fundemental difference between doing it through the laptop and an android box? Better quality streams?

[quote user="morty"][quote user="BroadstairsR"]Is using an android device illegal streaming though Swindon?

I am totally new to all this so I could be well off the mark.[/quote]Its pretty much a grey area.[/quote]From what I have read online It is not illegal to watch an online stream of copyrighted materialIt is illegal to stream copyrighted material for others to viewIt is illegal to copy or store copyrighted material downloaded via a stream (temporary files do not count)

In Europe, the Court of Justice of the European Union has ruled that it is legal to look at content (copyrighted or otherwise) online. The ruling relates to the British Meltwater case settled on 5 June 2014.

On 5 June 2014, they also ruled that streaming illegal content online is legal in Europe. The Boy Genius Report Weblog noted that "As long as an Internet user is streaming copyrighted

content online ... it’s legal for the user, who isn’t willfully [sic]

making a copy of said content. If the user only views it directly

through a web browser, streaming it from a website that hosts it, he or

she is apparently doing nothing wrong

The judgement of the court states that: "Article 5 of Directive

2001/29/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 22 May 2001

on the harmonisation of certain aspects of copyright and related rights

in the information society must be interpreted as meaning that the

copies on the user’s computer screen and the copies in the internet

‘cache’ of that computer’s hard disk, made by an end-user in the course

of viewing a website, satisfy the conditions that those copies must be

temporary, that they must be transient or incidental in nature and that

they must constitute an integral and essential part of a technological

process, as well as the conditions laid down in Article 5(5) of that

directive, and that they may therefore be made without the authorisation

of the copyright holders

[quote user="True Grit"]Hmm intresting...So the android box is basically a streaming device? You can do all that through a laptop anyway. Ace player, sopcast, flash streams, etc... what''s the fundemental difference between doing it through the laptop and an android box? Better quality streams?[/quote]Much, much wider choice of streams. Yeah, you could basically get it all by using various websites, but the android box just gathers it all together and puts in a much more user friendly format. It looks like this :-[URL=http://s869.photobucket.com/user/mortymccarthy/media/IMAG0773_zpsfpzhmzzi.jpg.html][IMG]http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab257/mortymccarthy/IMAG0773_zpsfpzhmzzi.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Watching free streams is similar to downloading copyrighted films and music, ie unlawful rather than illegal (the old bill can''t nick you for it).These streaming boxes appear to use Kodi Media Centre, hence programs such as Acestream and Sopcast, which means that someone somewhere is using a computer + internet to share their satellite feed with others.You can get the same setup on a PC by downloading and installing Kodi Media Centre (formerly XMBC), but obviously setting it all up is much harder than buying one of these neat little boxes.But Acestream and Sopcast aren''t too hard to set up if you want to avoid the flash-based websites and watch games in HD for free, say on a laptop. Some of the streams are virtually broadcast quality but you really need to be on a fibre connection to watch the best ones.

[quote user="True Grit"]Are the streams through the android box rock solid, ie no buffering etc?[/quote]Some are better than others, some are HD. I would say, overall, they are of better quality. I haven''t actually used the box that much, I have bought it for my spare room, rather than my lounge. Watched a few movies on it, most are blu-ray quality.

[quote user="93vintage"]Watching free streams is similar to downloading copyrighted films and music, ie unlawful rather than illegal (the old bill can''t nick you for it).These streaming boxes appear to use Kodi Media Centre, hence programs such as Acestream and Sopcast, which means that someone somewhere is using a computer + internet to share their satellite feed with others.You can get the same setup on a PC by downloading and installing Kodi Media Centre (formerly XMBC), but obviously setting it all up is much harder than buying one of these neat little boxes.But Acestream and Sopcast aren''t too hard to set up if you want to avoid the flash-based websites and watch games in HD for free, say on a laptop. Some of the streams are virtually broadcast quality but you really need to be on a fibre connection to watch the best ones.[/quote]Meaning that it is a breach of civil law rather than criminal law? But still an act for which the watcher could, at least in theory, be taken to court by the relevant company?

This android box sounds too good to be true! How come live streaming websites are getting shut down left right and centre by the courts,yet this box is legal?? You''d think Sky would be all over this like a rash

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="93vintage"]Watching free streams is similar to downloading copyrighted films and music, ie unlawful rather than illegal (the old bill can''t nick you for it).These streaming boxes appear to use Kodi Media Centre, hence programs such as Acestream and Sopcast, which means that someone somewhere is using a computer + internet to share their satellite feed with others.You can get the same setup on a PC by downloading and installing Kodi Media Centre (formerly XMBC), but obviously setting it all up is much harder than buying one of these neat little boxes.But Acestream and Sopcast aren''t too hard to set up if you want to avoid the flash-based websites and watch games in HD for free, say on a laptop. Some of the streams are virtually broadcast quality but you really need to be on a fibre connection to watch the best ones.[/quote]Meaning that it is a breach of civil law rather than criminal law? But still an act for which the watcher could, at least in theory, be taken to court by the relevant company?[/quote]This has been tried a few times in the last few years, including one news report that showed a woman in tears wondering how she would pay the thousands they wanted from her, because her daughter had downloaded some music.They have pretty much abandoned targeting individuals now and have worked with the ISP''s to target the sites that share media. I don''t think the ISP''s were interested in monitoring individuals and helping with prosecutions.I doubt very much that they would consider kicking anyones door down to catch them watching a football stream.

Use xmbc this on my PC;   an easier interface with the tv would be helpful;    superb for music, films & TV with pheonix, navi and esp Genesis addons reliably consistently excellent.

Not yet found a truly reliable source for sports although Sports Donkey comes highly recommended but at a cost of £50 pa - not taken that step yet.    Anyone willing to share their experiences / recommendations?

[quote user="Jacks Back"]This android box sounds too good to be true! How come live streaming websites are getting shut down left right and centre by the courts,yet this box is legal?? You''d think Sky would be all over this like a rash[/quote]They have no practical way of keeping up with it. The same as the download sites, shut one down, another opens under a proxy elsewhere.

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]Use xmbc this on my PC;   an easier interface with the tv would be helpful;    superb for music, films & TV with pheonix, navi and esp Genesis addons reliably consistently excellent.

Not yet found a truly reliable source for sports although Sports Donkey comes highly recommended but at a cost of £50 pa - not taken that step yet.    Anyone willing to share their experiences / recommendations?[/quote]And there is another advantage of the Android box, no subscriptions. I use Phoenix for sports.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="93vintage"]Watching free streams is similar to downloading copyrighted films and music, ie unlawful rather than illegal (the old bill can''t nick you for it).These streaming boxes appear to use Kodi Media Centre, hence programs such as Acestream and Sopcast, which means that someone somewhere is using a computer + internet to share their satellite feed with others.You can get the same setup on a PC by downloading and installing Kodi Media Centre (formerly XMBC), but obviously setting it all up is much harder than buying one of these neat little boxes.But Acestream and Sopcast aren''t too hard to set up if you want to avoid the flash-based websites and watch games in HD for free, say on a laptop. Some of the streams are virtually broadcast quality but you really need to be on a fibre connection to watch the best ones.[/quote]Meaning that it is a breach of civil law rather than criminal law? But still an act for which the watcher could, at least in theory, be taken to court by the relevant company?[/quote]This has been tried a few times in the last few years, including one news report that showed a woman in tears wondering how she would pay the thousands they wanted from her, because her daughter had downloaded some music.They have pretty much abandoned targeting individuals now and have worked with the ISP''s to target the sites that share media. I don''t think the ISP''s were interested in monitoring individuals and helping with prosecutions.I doubt very much that they would consider kicking anyones door down to catch them watching a football stream.[/quote]Thanks. I asked because I think in the past I have seen some posters claim it isn''t even theoretically unlawful to watch.

Of course its illegal, but a lot of people square it away, as they see it as some kind of "faceless" crime.Even the BBC have given up trying to nab people for not having a license.

What makes you say that? In my experience the BBC haven''t given up on enforcing the licence policy - they still send people round knocking and take court action

[quote user="True Grit"]What makes you say that? In my experience the BBC haven''t given up on enforcing the licence policy - they still send people round knocking and take court action[/quote]The "offence" has been decriminalised, pretty sure they no longer prosecute.http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2589397/MPs-lift-threat-jail-licence-fee-dodgers-BBC-stripped-powers-bring-criminal-prosecutions-agreement-three-main-parties.html

[quote user="morty"]Of course its illegal, but a lot of people square it away, as they see it as some kind of "faceless" crime.Even the BBC have given up trying to nab people for not having a license.[/quote]Perhaps soon to be academic. At last Britain has a Tory government with the gumption and backbone to end the highway robbery that is the BBC licence fee. All viewers and listeners should give thanks to the totally selfless efforts of such as the Murdoch family - who have had absolutely no axe to grind here - for their campaign. Which ranks with the movements to end slavery and give votes to women as one of the great moral crusades of western civilisation.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="morty"]Of course its illegal, but a lot of people square it away, as they see it as some kind of "faceless" crime.Even the BBC have given up trying to nab people for not having a license.[/quote]Perhaps soon to be academic. At last Britain has a Tory government with the gumption and backbone to end the highway robbery that is the BBC licence fee. All viewers and listeners should give thanks to the totally selfless efforts of such as the Murdoch family - who have had absolutely no axe to grind here - for their campaign. Which ranks with the movements to end slavery and give votes to women as one of the great moral crusades of western civilisation.[/quote]Personally, and there is genuinely no sarcasm here, I have no issue paying the licence fee, the BBC produces some of the best TV in the world.

So essentially if you don''t want to pay your licence fee you don''t have to? You would get a the odd letter I guess but no court action?

[quote user="True Grit"]So essentially if you don''t want to pay your licence fee you don''t have to? You would get a the odd letter I guess but no court action?[/quote]Yeah, pretty much.It would be a civil offence. If they could be bothered to pursue it.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="morty"]Of course its illegal, but a lot of people square it away, as they see it as some kind of "faceless" crime.Even the BBC have given up trying to nab people for not having a license.[/quote]Perhaps soon to be academic. At last Britain has a Tory government with the gumption and backbone to end the highway robbery that is the BBC licence fee. All viewers and listeners should give thanks to the totally selfless efforts of such as the Murdoch family - who have had absolutely no axe to grind here - for their campaign. Which ranks with the movements to end slavery and give votes to women as one of the great moral crusades of western civilisation.[/quote]Personally, and there is genuinely no sarcasm here, I have no issue paying the licence fee, the BBC produces some of the best TV in the world.[/quote]
And without doubt the best radio. Changing the way the BBC is funded would be a disaster.

Some people who were targeted by the music companies used the excuse that their neighbours must have been leeching their wifi connection. There was no way to prove that the person who ''owned'' an IP address was responsible.The music companies eventually found it was more worth their while to encourage legal downloads (eg iTunes) instead of prosecuting people who''d ripped their CD collection to share via the internet. They''re still hot about getting stuff removed from Youtube (they''ve got them to install a sound recognition system), but they don''t bother to prosecute.The media companies are generally pressing governments to change the law in order to criminalise ie get people caught more than once banned from the internet and go after the file sharing site owners (eg Kim Dotcom). But as Morty says, there''s limited enthusiasm from ISP''s and some of the smaller ones didn''t even bother to block access to sites like The Pirate Bay.For the foreseeable future people can watch their streams in peace, but it wouldn''t surprise me if Governments tried harder to block things at the network level. The good news is that programs like Acestream are like bittorrent in that anyone in the world can originate a stream which is then shared between hundreds of people, thereby making it virtually impossible to stop.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"] All viewers and listeners should give thanks to the totally selfless efforts of such as the Murdoch family - who have had absolutely no axe to grind here - for their campaign. [/quote]

I hope that was typed with a grin - Fox/Sky have no self interest in this?!?