Sign in to follow this  
SwindonCanary

Chris Hughton

Not an anniversary that Chris Hughton will exactly be celebrating but as

fate would have it a year ago this weekend he was sacked by Norwich. Let''s rub it in !

Bar a decent ten match run he was woeful for two seasons and unravelled almost everything that Lambert had achieved. A better appointment would have established us like Swansea are now.

He had the art of pulling a rabbit out of the hat, not sure if that''s a good or a bad thing, in the long run a bad thing I think.

Great guy but average manager who just happened to have a play style that was never going to sit right with fans here or at most clubs.

English fans like high pressure blood and thunder effort and slick attacking movement, Hughton employs stand off zonal defending and rigid stick to position attacking...we were never going to love it :P

He''s got a lot going for him, if he was braver and had a more progressive approach to the game he could''ve been great here, shame really.

We''re in the Championship now and not the Premiership.

We''re not a small unfashionable club in the Premiership - we''re a Man Utd or Arsenal in this division. Us going to take on Brighton at their ground is exactly Man Utd or Arsenal visiting us in the premiership. In Hughton''s first year in charge we had victories over Utd and Arsenal. It makes me very wary of them (Brighton). Do Brighton have the skill and resources to beat us ? In that first year under Hughton we were hard to beat . Does this Brighton side have similarities of our 2012-13 side? Do they have a Holt, a Hoolahan, a Pilkington ?

I am trying to concentrate on our team only - but Hughton is no mug - I consider his first year with us as successful- they''ll be hard to break down.

What do other''s think of this Brighton team - am I anxious over nothing ?

If we play our game and the system we''ve been using (with Tettey sitting deep) then we''ll win. Fail to move the ball quickly, then we won''t be getting the 3 points..

[quote user="Crabbycanary3"]Who should that have been CC?[/quote]

It was this attitude that kept Hughton in the job and got us relegated!

Believe it or not there''s a whole WORLD of football managers and coaches out there.

http://www.pinkun.com/norwich-city/alex_neil_is_out_to_prove_chris_hughton_right_at_norwich_city_1_4021000

Mr Hughton showing his class, this is why I like him.

Far from doing "as much damage to the club as Rodent", CH did almost as much for the club as Lambert (there''s even a case for saying "more than"). It was his success in keeping us in the PL for a third season that freed us from debt-slavery to creditors and put the club in probably the soundest financial position it has ever enjoyed.

[quote user="westcoastcanary"]Far from doing "as much damage to the club as Rodent", CH did almost as much for the club as Lambert (there''s even a case for saying "more than"). It was his success in keeping us in the PL for a third season that freed us from debt-slavery to creditors and put the club in probably the soundest financial position it has ever enjoyed. [/quote]Spot on[Y]

Although I think it''s a bit much saying that westcoast, I do think a lot of credit should be given for his first season with us. To finish 11th with the team we had was a phenomenal achievement. His second season was always going to be difficult with a new set of players, it was clear that he didn''t recruit as well as he should''ve done in many aspects, however, we did make very good profit on them....well except one individual...

[quote user="mrs miggins"]Although I think it''s a bit much saying that westcoast, I do think a lot of credit should be given for his first season with us. To finish 11th with the team we had was a phenomenal achievement. His second season was always going to be difficult with a new set of players, it was clear that he didn''t recruit as well as he should''ve done in many aspects, however, we did make very good profit on them....well except one individual...[/quote]

Disagree. The legacy of Lambert''s regime propelled us to Christmas but after that we were poor. He had the biggest war chest in the club''s history in the following summer and look where we ended up.

With regards to who should have replaced him I think it is crazy to argue that there was no one available and good enough out there across our vast planet! If you paid me hundreds of thousands of pounds a year to research it I could give you at least twenty names better than Hughton.

Thank God he''s long gone but the unnecessary damage was done.

Personally I think CH is a decent bloke who did his best for us. Like most on here I thought he was retained for about 4-5 months too long. It wasn''t his fault the board dithered. I for one am not thinking "let''s stick it to him" - I just want us to win today and then win the next one. It''s not personal...I don''t see a reason to hate CH. Lots of people move on and that''s life. He certainly didn''t come to NCFC with an agenda to ruin the club!

I''ve got over what he did or didn''t do for us while he was here. I''m more concerned about the damage he could inflict today if he sets his team up to frustrate us (which he inevitably will) and we fail to break them down and don''t get 3 points.I hope AN has enough to get us the win.

People forget that Hughton was on a hiding to nothing the moment he tried to take over from Lambert - because he wasn''t Lambert.  The players struggled with that, the fans struggled with that - and Hughton had to rebuild things the way he wanted to in spite of all that, in the pressure cooker of the lower half of the premiership.    We finished 11th the first season and he tried to build on that.  Fair enough it didn''t work out - my view is that the negativity and downward spiral set in at an early stage, even in that first season and Hughton never really got the players fully on board.  The new players that came in, came into a slightly negative scenario that second season - and surprise, surprise they struggled too. Like it or not, Hughton was good at Newcastle and Birmingham and is doing well at Brighton.  That suggests to me that the Norwich episode was a poisoned chalice at the time and anyone who had tried to follow Lambert would have struggled. 

Be that as it may, today, we have a good idea how he will set up his team, our players will know how he will set up his team - and they have to counter that to get the three points.  The great thing is we have a manager who''s no nonsense approach couldn''t care less about what happened in the past and will get the players motivated well enough, regardless of who they are up against.

Oh bullship, Lake! He was the wrong man for the job. He should never have been hired. They should have looked for a manager whose system fit the players we had. We finished 11th in spite of this, and it was so very boring. But when he got more time and money to shape things his way, it was a disaster.

Who should we have hired? Alex Neil. That would have been the find of the century at that point.

[quote user="Cantiaci Canary"]Bar a decent ten match run he was woeful for two seasons and unravelled almost everything that Lambert had achieved. A better appointment would have established us like Swansea are now.[/quote]

[Y]

[quote user="Gainer the Gopher"]Oh bullship, Lake! He was the wrong man for the job. He should never have been hired. They should have looked for a manager whose system fit the players we had. We finished 11th in spite of this, and it was so very boring. But when he got more time and money to shape things his way, it was a disaster.

Who should we have hired? Alex Neil. That would have been the find of the century at that point.[/quote]I think he was the right man for the job. A calm and level headed manager, with a good record, who could steady the ship after we had lost one of our greatest ever managers. It was essential for us to stay up that season to finally pay off our debts, and he did it, so he deserves some credit. Saying we should never have hired him is bollox as i didn''t hear anyone complaining when he joined.

[quote user="Herman "][quote user="Gainer the Gopher"]Oh bullship, Lake! He was the wrong man for the job. He should never have been hired. They should have looked for a manager whose system fit the players we had. We finished 11th in spite of this, and it was so very boring. But when he got more time and money to shape things his way, it was a disaster.

Who should we have hired? Alex Neil. That would have been the find of the century at that point.[/quote]I think he was the right man for the job. A calm and level headed manager, with a good record, who could steady the ship after we had lost one of our greatest ever managers. It was essential for us to stay up that season to finally pay off our debts, and he did it, so he deserves some credit. Saying we should never have hired him is bollox as i didn''t hear anyone complaining when he joined.

[/quote]

We should never have hired him [:D]

[quote user="Herman "]You''re a bit late.[/quote]I''m trying to forget he was ever here [:)]

Hiring him was the correct decision. I doubt many managers we could attract could''ve kept us up that first year. Not sacking him after losing to Fulham at home in December 2013 was the big mistake, we were obviously on a downwards curve, the fans had had enough, he had signed completely the wrong players for his way of playing and to compensate in his desperation made us ultra defensive with static tactics regardless of opposition.

Sometimes managers are meant just to do a certain job and not stay for ages and build something, Hughton was one of those appointments. I still can''t believe he wasn''t sacked after that game, it was the perfect time, an international break to find a new man, half a season to save us and a transfer window coming up. That was such a c0ck up!

.[quote user="Mr Jenkins"]He had the art of pulling a rabbit out of the hat, not sure if that''s a good or a bad thing, in the long run a bad thing I think.[/quote]Given that it was him that had stuffed so many of the poor things in there in the first place, it was hardly much of an achievement when one was occasionally wrestled out.

I think he was the right appointment, we went well enough in his first season. He ran out of ideas last January and the board should have backed or sacked him then. It''s that simple.