Sign in to follow this  
yellow 63

1970s Match Of The Week clips

Can''t put a direct link up but around the 54 mins mark,including a Paddon specialhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGsLAqd97SU

I can''t recall too much about Graham Paddon other than he was left footed and seemed to make decent things happen. Figured he must be valuable because even though West Ham took him off us, we fetched him back.

Based on my sketchy boyhood memories I guess Bradley Johnson''s playing style is probably quite similar to Paddon''s; what do others think about that comparison?

Scored some crackers did Graham,like the Man Utd game 1st half in colour and cameras not able to cope so black and white for the latter stages.If anybody could get a direct link sorted would be appreciated as i haven''t clue how to,some good stuff on that blokes channel

Graham Paddon was my absolute favourite boyhood player being a devout canary (more than even ManU''s Georgie Best!)

I think there is a certain similarity to Johnson (who even grew that beard!) - both workmanlike, get up and down, work ethic that inspires others and sweet left peg when it comes to firing rockets into Binners'' nets.

''A BBC telerecording''!

Thanks for sharing that Nutty - I think I just went back in time! I remember that Watneys sign, pass backs to the keeper etc. - didn''t know Terry Allcock played anywhere other than striker though.

In the 70''s I went to school in Thorpe with the sons of three of those players; Joe Mullett, Terry Allcock & Kevin Keelan. Us boys were in the school football team together & I often looked over to the touchline to see Kevin Keelan watching us trying to do our best.

Great memories...

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

For all the other old codgers out there here''s my first ever game at Carrow Road and our first ever game on MOTD : -

http://www.eafa.org.uk/catalogue/923

[/quote]"Modest Norwich against a thoroughly and formidable professional Sheffield Wednesday"     How times have changed !    

[quote user="damn that Ralph Coates"]Graham Paddon was my absolute favourite boyhood player being a devout canary (more than even ManU''s Georgie Best!)

I think there is a certain similarity to Johnson (who even grew that beard!) - both workmanlike, get up and down, work ethic that inspires others and sweet left peg when it comes to firing rockets into Binners'' nets.[/quote]I would rate Paddon a slightly more creative player than Johnson. I was behind the goal at Highbury when Paddon scored three past  a shell-shocked Arsenal keeper in a League Cup tie.* I think it was the game when Duncan Forbes went off with a punctured lung. I am not sure which was the more surprising - beating Arsenal 3-0 or Forbes admitting that even he couldn''t play on under those circumstances!*It was the year we got damned by Ralph Coates in the final...

[quote user="damn that Ralph Coates"]Graham Paddon was my absolute favourite boyhood player being a devout canary (more than even ManU''s Georgie Best!)

I think there is a certain similarity to Johnson (who even grew that beard!) - both workmanlike, get up and down, work ethic that inspires others and sweet left peg when it comes to firing rockets into Binners'' nets.[/quote]

Paddon was my favourite player of that era too.  Made things happen, neat and skilful with an unstoppable shot that made the ball bend all over the place in mid-flight.  Goalkeepers had little chance if he struck it right as they had no idea which way to dive.  Great memories of the genesis of top flight football for the first time in the club''s history.

Love that 60s clip of the Sheff Wed game - in the first few minutes you can hear OTBC sung as it should be sung...sounded so much better.