Sign in to follow this  
Derby Canary

ALEX NEIL

As we are quickly realising it seems that we have a very special, talented young Manager at a time when such finds are extremely hard to come by.We have all ridiculed our board regarding the somewhat inadequate appointments since Lambert who himself, in my opinion, was only so successful due to a coming together of circumstances. Our reaction to the appointments was not helped by the ridiculous statements by the board (eg scoured Europe) trying (unsuccessfully) to justify them.Neil seems to have incredible maturity for his young age, excels in man management, tactics and demands high standards from all around him, including himself.  We have not yet evidenced his ability to recruit the right individuals Graham Dorrans seems to be gradually improving but I am yet to be convinced re Andreu who so far struggles to make the bench. This Summer should be very interesting in this respect, particularly if we are promoted.Our latest appointment seems to have David McNally written all over it but I think it is time that we were told the source of introduction of this highly talented young man that nobody else this side of Hadrian''s Wall had ever heard of so that at least we can give them the acknowledgement they deserve!

He is a stunning talent having lifted our club. Second season syndrome may be more difficult but he does seem to have all the right attributes and he excites me even more than lambert did.

do we have a head of recruitment?

That role should already be in full drive for identifying any summer promotion signings - with overseas signings also likely to feature alongside more local talent. Fingers crossed the club has been working on this already

ps on his current signings I think they have all worked; Bassong has helped shore up the defence, For me Dorrans is improving with match fitness and showing his class and while Andreu has not had the pitch impact I think it was an astute signing to help Neil demonstrate what attitude he expects from the players, train hard, play hard & follow instructions.

[quote user="Derby Canary"]Our latest appointment seems to have David McNally written all over it......[/quote]Lol! If they''re successful they are McNally''s appointments, if they fail they''re Delia''s. We were told he was outvoted when Adams was appointed.....so why wasn''t he outvoted when he suggested this novice from a junior league?

All of us ridiculed the board?? Not all, by any means. There are some on here, who giving the board any credit would be like them trying to eat a mars bar without taking it out of its wrapper. But there are plenty on here who recognise the good work they do under very difficult circumstances. McNally/the board got us Lambert and got us A.Neil.  He/they also got us Hughton and Adams.  All have been successful appointments up to a point.  Yes, Hughton ultimately failed, but we still finished 11th in that first season. Adams was also a success at the start of this season and we were flying for the first two months of this season - and there were no complaints then. 

As for finding AN - McNally will have the main responsibility for finding candidates, as that is his job - but will have had contacts, done research  himself, delegated people to check up on different possibilities. But in terms of the actual appointment it will have been a joint effort and joint responsibility by the board to actually appoint Neil.  Also, plenty of the football world will have been aware of Alex Neil''s potential, not just in Scotland - it is just that we stepped in first to give him his chance on a bigger stage.  Credit where credit is due - to McNally, his backroom staff, the board members - credit all round, except to those who like eating mars bars with the wrapper still on......... 

I think from now on we should all refer to AN as our own

Sir Alex!

As for Dorrans, he was my MOTM yesterday. The team pressed high all match. Really in the Alex Neil mould.

And Howson was influential throughout too. We deserved the win but blimey I can''t help thinking the manager was as relieved as the crowd and team were. That win meant a lot to the whole set up....possibly the most important of the season and our 3-2 Simeon Jackson moment or from now on the Gary Hooper moment.