Sign in to follow this  
Jack Flash

Our Back Four

One of the key ingredients of our successful run under AN has been a settled back four. It seemed to go under the radar yesterday, but 20 minutes from the end of the match Bennett was introduced, and I assume (as I was not there) that Martin moved to right back. Wondered if anyone who was at the match can confirm that Martin did indeed revert to right back, and how did it work, compared to the back four as selected?

Yes, Russell Martin went to RB as straight swap for Whittaker who had a bit of an off day defensively. However Martin found himself supporting the attack a lot in the last 10

So do you think AN will keep the back four that finished the game, or revert to the starting four?

[quote user="Surfer"]So do you think AN will keep the back four that finished the game, or revert to the starting four?[/quote]

I think he will go with the 4 that started the game, the winger was giving Whitts a hard time (goal came from him turning him ) and the change was tactical to stop that counter attack threat while we pushed forward looking for a winner, as it happened they subbed the winger shortly after, and Martin found himself pushing forward more, and looked like he was enjoying it !!

Yes Martin switched to right back, played well there too.Once Redmond went off we lacked any real attacking threat down the right. Martin got forward a lot.Makes me wonder if he''ll revert to there once Bennet is fully fit?

[quote user="morty"]Yes Martin switched to right back, played well there too.Once Redmond went off we lacked any real attacking threat down the right. Martin got forward a lot.Makes me wonder if he''ll revert to there once Bennet is fully fit?[/quote]I was wondering this as well. I''d have to say that Bennett can more than hold his own as a centre back and the fact Martin got switched over to right back to replace a struggling Whittaker might indicate that Alex Neil has identified RM to be stronger in that role defensively. Martin can cross and score goals too and is that bit more reliable than Whittaker in his own half. I would think the only question on Alex''s mind would be on Ryan''s ability to maintain his long term fitness.

He might also wonder if RyBen makes our team better. I don''t think he does.

Lambert once put Elliot Bennett at RB when we short of cover and I recall he was quick and provided decent cover. As a wing back type full back the modern game demands for me it''s worth Alex trying EB in this position .....maybe not this year....but next year in the Prem

The whole back four looked dodgy for almost the entire first half yesterday.

There was a period of about 7 or 8 minutes, where Russ miskicked clearances from crosses 3 times in a row.

Whittaker played a ball towards Martin but sold him woefully short and was nicked by the striker which fortunately we got away with. Got turned for the goal, with a pretty terrible effort at a tackle and then couldn''t get back quick enough to cover.

Seb also played himself into trouble a couple of times, and lost his man for the goal.

Olsson was the only one I wouldn''t have picked out as having a poor first half but most of Bolton''s attacks were chipped through balls over the top, or came down their left wing.

We were much better second half, but I wouldn''t be comfortable with Norfolk Cafu at CB and Whitts at RB if we went up. Whittaker isn''t good enough for that level and Martin is an adequate if unspectacular Right Back in the Prem but not even close to being good enough at CB to do the job at that level. He''s not big enough and doesn''t read the game well enough imo.

From set plays, corners, free kicks, Bassong and Martin don''t get enough goals, whereas I think Bennett more likely to get something on target and maybe a vital goal. Johnson remains our best threat from headers as he has the ability to get over the ball and head down, whereas Bassong and Martin more often head over the bar. Having said that the defence has done a good job, evidenced by us having one of the best goals against record, but tiny improvements may make a real difference over these next four cup finals.