Sign in to follow this  
mrs miggins

Glorious Neil Lennon post match interview

'' as a manager I don''t know what I can do''  says it allNothing more than a load of contradictory whining, and some thought we should have appointed this ginger whingerThe best place for him is to become a sky sports commentator, where that sort of rubbish fits in well.

it says it all about Scottish football that this joker can win the league with Celtic yet struggle with Bolton in the championship.... 

So glad he didn''t become our manager. He is only equipped to have it all his own way as he did at Celtic where he was the big fish in the small pond.

It was all about him, feeling sorry for himself but worse than that he slated his players publicly and at a time when they would be feeling very low having lost late.

He seems to think he can bully effort and performances from his players.

Alex Neil on the other hand takes pressure off his players and takes responsibility himself. At the same time as Lennon is saying his players can''t look him in the eye you just know in private AN wouldn''t hold back on the home truths face to face.

Alex Neil upped his stock yesterday. He decided to have a go rather than settle for a draw and the ''what ifs.''

I was a big critic of Hughton. I love the approach of Neil and here is why. I''m only glad we didn''t get the cowardly prima Donna Neil Lennon.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]it says it all about Scottish football that this joker can win the league with Celtic yet struggle with Bolton in the championship.... [/quote]

How rude. You''d think the snobbery from Norwich fans about Scottish football would be gone after the job Alex Neil has done. Plenty have been made to eat their words.

The "I don''t know what I can do" line is very revealing.  It shows he is a manager who lacks focus and authority - a bit like throwing your hands up and saying "it''s not my fault, I''m just the manager".   Just astonishing really.  Emotional response to frustration, maybe, but to say something like that, even in the heat of an after match situation, is amateurish to say the least and will not inspire his players with confidence. Yes, it is up to his players have to sort it out, but the lack of focus from a manager is not something we would have needed after Hughton and Adams.  Definitely a bullet dodged.

Publicly slating a youngster is a bit of a stinky approach as well. Not impressed.

LDC I know you were a massive Hughton fan and fair play you stick to your guns....but watching Lennon and Hughton give their after match thoughts yesterday just underlined for me how both approach their work. Maybe a snapshot I know but revealing. Lennon feeling hard done by and I agree an emotional frustration. Poor professionalism again yesterday arguing with the red to give us an extra 2 minutes of added time. Karma yet again! Then we hear Hughton on the FL show speak about the opposition. No passion, his whole demeanour speaks of him being a loser somehow. Yet I admired the man. Just not someone I wanted managing my football team. AlexNeil just exudes simple authority, no cliches, no excuses, no extreme humility ....just a solid balanced man. Organisations develop a culture from the top. And this bodes well for Norwich City.

[quote user="sonyc"]LDC I know you were a massive Hughton fan and fair play you stick to your guns....but watching Lennon and Hughton give their after match thoughts yesterday just underlined for me how both approach their work. Maybe a snapshot I know but revealing. Lennon feeling hard done by and I agree an emotional frustration. Poor professionalism again yesterday arguing with the red to give us an extra 2 minutes of added time. Karma yet again! Then we hear Hughton on the FL show speak about the opposition. No passion, his whole demeanour speaks of him being a loser somehow. Yet I admired the man. Just not someone I wanted managing my football team. AlexNeil just exudes simple authority, no cliches, no excuses, no extreme humility ....just a solid balanced man. Organisations develop a culture from the top. And this bodes well for Norwich City.[/quote]

I''d agree with that except for Hugthon being a loser somehow, his record as a manager at Newcastle, Norwich and Birmingham is still strong apart from one season where a whole raft of circumstances proved too much for him.  Comparing Lennon and Hughton is interesting though, like comparing chalk and cheese - opposites in nearly every way. If we had got him, I think it would have been too far a swing away from Hughton''s approach.  All we needed was a manager who can organise and inspire and be no nonsense at the same time - and that we have.   And atm, its working.   

[quote user="Gainer the Gopher"]I''d rather hear the truth than coach-speak.

What should he have done differently strategy-wise?[/quote]How about not allowing his team to blatantly start wasting time from about 75 minutes, while drawing at home in a game that basically they should have no fear of losing.And maybe not wasting money on an Emile Heskey, who hasn''t been up to much for a fair few years now.

I''d say it is not always a bad strategy- Bolton are mid=table and not going anywhere and he has put the entire squad on notice- shape up or your gone in the summer. Bolton have massively underachieved ever since their relegation and I have to believe there is something pretty rotten in that squad. Unfortunately for them the financial situation is such that they won''t be able to spend much.

They clearly have some good youngsters coming through so I''d expect to see Lennon shipping out quite a few of their players and building around the younger ones.

Is he trying to set a record the number of times he can get the phrase "six million pound striker" into an interview?If you wanted to spend £6million, you should have stayed at Celtic.For me, this whole interview smells of a man who quit his last job because he thought he''d be able to get a better job, only to end up at Bolton. He sounds very bitter about how things are turning out.

Lennon is doing a pretty good job since taking over at Bolton and I think a lot of his frustration is down to the fact they have made a habit of conceding late goals recently.

Bolton is probably one of the toughest jobs going in English football at the moment - they are £170 in debt and invested very little into their academy when they did have cash. (Big Sam is never one for spending money on youth players).

Lennon has been pretty shrewd in getting in players like Heskey and Gudjohnson who are model pros and helping the other players in the squad develop. Also they have contributed to 4 goals in 12 games and 7 goals in 18 games respectively. That''s pretty good for where Bolton are and how little it is costing them (both are on low wage contracts).

It is worth remembering that they looked a likely relegation contender when Lennon took over and they are now in mid-table safety with a few games to spare.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]Lennon is doing a pretty good job since taking over at Bolton and I think a lot of his frustration is down to the fact they have made a habit of conceding late goals recently.

Bolton is probably one of the toughest jobs going in English football at the moment - they are £170 in debt and invested very little into their academy when they did have cash. (Big Sam is never one for spending money on youth players).

Lennon has been pretty shrewd in getting in players like Heskey and Gudjohnson who are model pros and helping the other players in the squad develop. Also they have contributed to 4 goals in 12 games and 7 goals in 18 games respectively. That''s pretty good for where Bolton are and how little it is costing them (both are on low wage contracts).

It is worth remembering that they looked a likely relegation contender when Lennon took over and they are now in mid-table safety with a few games to spare.[/quote]That''s an interesting take mate, thanks for that.Just out of interest though, do you think this was the job Lennon thought he''d end up with when he left Celtic? I get the feeling he thought his stock was much higher than it was.

I think thats a pretty fair summary Bethnal- he''s on a bit of a hiding to nothing there. Freedman obviously struggled mightily there but appears to be a decent young manager, Lennon will do well to get them back to mid-table.

Hard to know what he expected really. He must have known that he wasn''t ''hot property'' when leaving Celtic as he would have been tapped-up but other clubs if there was interest.

I think he saw that Celtic were only going to head backwards as they had less and less money and he was losing players to clubs like Norwich so he wanted to leave his achievements there intact.

I don''t think he was massively desperate for a job when going to Bolton as he started there in October, so was only out of the game a few months. If he had expected something bigger you would imagine he''d hang on a few more months and waited for the traditional sacking spree that comes around the New Year.

Personally it seems a weird choice, a club losing money hand over fist and unlikely to get back to the Prem any time soon but maybe he saw it as a good opportunity to prove himself in England.

I still find it hilarious that people look so much in to pre and post match interviews with managers. If you think for a second that this will have any effect on the players then I think you are deluded, these footballers are grown men who need to be brought down a notch or two if they have underperformed, just as Neil did with ours after Huddersfield away.

In my time supporting Norwich, Paul Lambert was probably the one who belittled Norwich the most and praised opposition teams before and after games, yet this was never ever mentioned because we were picking up results on a regular basis, but this was always used to beat Hughton with and people would take the respect he showed for the opposition (ignoring the same opposition managers giving us the same respect) as a negative and assuming it would somehow demoralise our players and boost the opposition players morale.

Yet in the same instance, there is a thread going on about how Neil Adams belittling the opposition (Reading) was stupid and could bite us in the backsides.

Make your minds up!!!