Sign in to follow this  
......and Smith must score.

Nothing to lose by going for goals now.

Well what a fantastic position we''re now in.....all players fit, all players on form.

Being 8 points clear of 7th - effectively 9 given our far better GD - a Play-Off place is all but guaranteed but with Watford in particular being only 1 goal worse off I hope we go all out in the last 4 games to try to bang in as many as possible.

It''s being a bit picky but there have been a few instances where we''ve won comfortably but eased back when we could have scored more goals. Forest and Sheff Wed are two recent ones where that''s happened.

After all the hard work so far it would be a real shame if we were to miss out on the automatic places solely due to an inferior GD.

I feel that we need to make the most of Leeds and Rotheram, and put them to the sword.I don''t think the Boro game will be high scoring, and would rather not leave anything till the last day against Fulham.And I don''t want to look to blame anyone, but I wish that Grabban had put that one on one away in the dying minutes yesterday.

[quote user="morty"]I feel that we need to make the most of Leeds and Rotheram, and put them to the sword.I don''t think the Boro game will be high scoring, and would rather not leave anything till the last day against Fulham.And I don''t want to look to blame anyone, but I wish that Grabban had put that one on one away in the dying minutes yesterday.[/quote]

And if Redmond had scored in the 1st half when clean through ! could have been a different game altogether.

I think just winning is paramount. Do that and we will likely be above bournemouth come the end of the season and Watford can then do what they like.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]I think just winning is paramount. Do that and we will likely be above bournemouth come the end of the season and Watford can then do what they like.[/quote]Somehow I really don''t think its going to be as straightforward as that....

AN has already said that he intends to be fully attack orientated in the remaining matches. Would indicate a thoroughly offensive mind set, but without being gung ho. I would be delighted, but it would not surprise me at all if we win our last four games. The manager and his players are buzzing at the moment, just hope that Tetty is fit enough to last twenty more days.

The Wednesday one did feel like a bit of a missed opportunity- 10 men, dodgy at the back all game it felt like we could have grabbed another one or two but as someone else said this is being picky. We have to concentrate on winning first and if we are in control then put our foot down.

[quote user="king canary"]The Wednesday one did feel like a bit of a missed opportunity- 10 men, dodgy at the back all game it felt like we could have grabbed another one or two but as someone else said this is being picky. We have to concentrate on winning first and if we are in control then put our foot down.[/quote]

10 men? Am I missing something - don;t recall them having anyone sent off.

I do, however, agree that it looks a missed opportunity. It was very strange and unlike other games under Neil where we have continued to seek goals once we have the game under control. Wednesday were not threatening at all and I felt there were perhaps more goals there for the taking in that second half.

Pretty sure one of the Wednesday players went off injured towards the end after they had made all 3 subs.

Yes, the extra goals would be helpful but AN is solely focused on picking up the 3 points, as he should be. Just look at Derby a few months back when they threw away that 2 goal lead against Birmingham in the last minute.

I''m more than happy to see him ''shut up shop'' so to speak to ensure we get those all important 3 points. Do that 4 more times and we''ll be laughing!

Pretty sure one of the Wednesday players went off injured towards the end after they had made all 3 subs.[Y]

They ran out of subs toward the end Jim and were down to 10, to be honest not exactly sure for how long but around 15 mins at a guess.

My point really was that we were two nill up at half time, the game was pretty much won, they had had one days less rest than us over a busy Easter Weekend so it was a great opertunity to improve our goal difference.

Obviously delighted with the win but it did develop into a game where we could have forced it a bit more if we are worried about GD.

I have a horrible feeling that we''re going to miss out due to goals scored! I can see us and Watford both winning the last 4 and having the same GD but they''ve scored 4 more than us. To be it basically comes down to how many we can put past Roterham...

Just to show how paranoid I''m being the remaining fixtures are:

Us:

Leeds(a) - win by one

Boro(h) - win by one

Rotherham(a) - win by more

Fulham(h) - win by one (only because we do so badly against them, we should put a few past them but doubt we will)

Watford:

Forest(a) - win by one

Birmingham(h) - win by more

Brighton(a) - win by one

Wednesday(h) - win by more

However it crumbles I imagine that the final day is going to be horrible.

[quote user="Mr Jenkins"]They ran out of subs toward the end Jim and were down to 10, to be honest not exactly sure for how long but around 15 mins at a guess.

My point really was that we were two nill up at half time, the game was pretty much won, they had had one days less rest than us over a busy Easter Weekend so it was a great opertunity to improve our goal difference.

Obviously delighted with the win but it did develop into a game where we could have forced it a bit more if we are worried about GD.[/quote]

I agree with you Mr Jenkins. I said as much in the pub after the game. I was reasonably confident at half time in that game that we could go on and get a couple more goals and Shef Wednesday posed no threat second half but our players just eased off. I remember Neil implying afterwards that this had not been on his orders so must have been the players. I didn''t realise they also had 10 men for some of it.

As others have said its a bit picky as it was a thoroughly professional win but I really hope it doesn''t come back to haunt us come the final day if Watford stick 3 second half goals past Sheffield Wednesday!

[quote user="Bradley Johnsons left foot"]......

I''m more than happy to see him ''shut up shop'' so to speak to ensure we get those all important 3 points. Do that 4 more times and we''ll be laughing![/quote]At this stage '' shutting up shop '' must be risky. Even if we do win our last four more times we may NOT be laughing as Watford are only one goal worse off than us. We need to do all we can to improve our GD.We''re as good as guaranteed a Play-Off spot so in the big picture so if we don''t '' win big '' it doesn''t really matter if we draw or even lose a game or two.There''s been several games where we''ve eased up against a team on the ropes and I''ve got a horrible feeling that''s going to cost us.

winning is all that matters as far as im concerned, 1-0 or 5-0 as long as we get three point tomorrow.  its each games at a time, no point in looking any further.  its now four massive one of games.  if we win the next four and miss out on goals id be shocked, but i dont feel we can go gung ho in any game, not yet.

All we need to do is win the 4 games which is much easier said than done. If we do that we''ll be ok as one of Bournemouth or Watford will draw a game somewhere along the way which would guarantee us first or second. To start worrying about scoring a shedful of goals would result in dropping unnecessary poiNts by taking unnecessary risks. As I ''vs said before it''s not easy to win five on the bounce in this league and that is what the others have to do if we drop no points between now and the end.

Am I missing something here ?The only way we might not be in the Play-Offs is if we lose all our remaining games and that''s as good as certain not to happen. So what''s the problem in going for goals in those games if the very worst that could happen is missing out on the auto places?I''m not suggesting we go all out attack from minute one and it would help if we can score first but it''s pointless to settle for narrow wins, except perhaps against Middlesbrough when Watford, in particular, are breathing right down our necks and could easily overtake our GD assuming we match them points wise.