Sign in to follow this  
Tetteys Jig

Wes or Redmond on Friday?

With johnno likely to come back in, it seems it''ll be one of these two who make way.

I''d be tempted to go with Redmond down the right from the off tbh. Thought he had a great second half tonight and he made the difference for us in the end. Hard to drop wes, especially at home but for me Redmond edges it.

Maybe Johnson won''t come back in.

I mean it is hard to overlook what he''s done this season but he got himself a bit of a silly suspension and the lads have gone and won 2 tough away games without him.

Tough call. But if anyone is going to get it right Alex Neil will.

It''s a difficult one - the guys have done really well without BJ, but you really do have to bring him back given the form he''s been in, and (perhaps moreso) the fact that he''ll be fresh. There could be a few knocks/tired legs from the two games we''ve just had (perhaps Wes or Tetts?) which might help make the decision for AN: we can''t afford anyone to be anything other than 100%.

I''d probably guess Tettey dropped to bench if only coping with so many games with his injury.

Only bring back Johnson if it''s really going to dismantle Middlesbrough anymore than what we''ve done the previous two away games. Two wins without and proven we''re a unit and not a one man team.

My hunch it''s now time for the strikers to put their stint in for the final 3 games.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]With johnno likely to come back in, it seems it''ll be one of these two who make way.

I''d be tempted to go with Redmond down the right from the off tbh. Thought he had a great second half tonight and he made the difference for us in the end. Hard to drop wes, especially at home but for me Redmond edges it.[/quote]Wes has looked progressively more jaded over the last three games for me. And if Vadis was fitter, or Andreu up to speed I think Wes would have been dropped by now.

Cant believe some of the replies to this post, How can you choose between Wes & Redmond when they play in completely different positions. Wes is not a winger and Redmond is definitely not a no10. With the biggest match of the season coming up on Friday its a straight choice between Johnson & Redmond with probably Johnson getting the nod with Redmond coming on when players legs start to get tired.

You can easily choose between dropping wes, Redmond or any of the midfield for BJ - as with losing him you just re-jiggle a little to accommodate and we can do so successfully.

The old adage of never changing a winning side seems to have gone out of the window and despite the last two games proving that the irreplaceable bradley johnson is indeed replaceable I do expect him to come straight back in.

I dont expect Tettey to miss this one;    he is the one player that provides a unique capability to the team,  and was missed when suspended.  I suspect he will be ready to play friday no matter what.

Wes has not sparkled in the last 3-4 games - but then none of the team truly have - but he offers that unknown spark - as such I can only agree that BJ will come back in for Redmond come kick off on Friday.   If its a not working day for wes then we use Redmond.

How did the midfield line up with Redmond in it? Was Dorrans pushed wider or did Howson play out wide as he has done recently?

Jimmy Smith wrote the following post at 14/04/2015 11:56 PM:

With johnno likely to come back in, it seems it''ll be one of these two who make way.

I''d be tempted to go with Redmond down the right from the off tbh. Thought he had a great second half tonight and he made the difference for us in the end. Hard to drop wes, especially at home but for me Redmond edges it.

Redmond was my man of the match last night, as you say he had an excellent second half, he was also getting involved in some good defensive work, which is something we don''t always seem to get from him. He definately deserves another start IMO.

It''s a hard choice, because Dorrans, Howson and Tettey have all played well, and Johnson must surely play.

As Boro have one of the best, if not the best, defensive records in our division, it will take a moment of individual skill to score against them.

I come down narrowly for Redmond. On Tuesday evening Leeds were obdurate, and resisted us, apart from a moment from Redmond in spotting Howson and a very good run down the right by Jerome. Against a mean and well organised defence progress through the middle can be difficult, and we need to get round.

There is another issue. If Grabban is fit, and the manager seemed to think that there was a possibility, he could supply the pace and movement. Is it possible that neither Wes nor Redders starts, and that we play a "normal" 4-4-2, with Olsson to supply pace down the left and Grabban and Whittaker down the right?

Don''t think he''ll shake things up that much. Grabban is still pretty fragile by the sounds of it and will be needed to play a role from the bench.