Sign in to follow this  
nutty nigel

Alex Neil tonight...

[quote user="Inch High aka Inchy.."]I am lead to believe that he wasn''t available then, have heard rumours that he wanted to make sure Hamilton were safe first.

There has also been speculation that McNally was overruled by the rest of the board re the Adams appointment.

All pure speculation, of course.

Now then Morty you are always the first to shoot people down for rumor and speculation.[/quote]Only if its ridiculous.I said it was pure speculation, am not calling "FACT" on anything here, am I?

Too nice a day to get into an LDC style fisty cuffs with ya Morty so i''ll say love ya xx

[quote user="Inch High aka Inchy.."]Too nice a day to get into an LDC style fisty cuffs with ya Morty so i''ll say love ya xx[/quote]Lol, whatever you say fella[Y]

I just thought we acted a little late before appointing a new manager. It''s been a tough ask for AN who has managed to get the best out of the players who have won 11 out of the last 14 I believe and still it is touch and go whether we will get automatic promotion or not. Both Middlesbrough and or Watford could overtake us if we slip up once in our last 3 games.

It is extremely tight and if I had any complaints about his appointment it would be that it was made a couple of weeks too late.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing....

Agree it''s tight and a slip up will cost us, but the same is said for Bournemouth, Watford and Middlesbrough.

Bournemouth look destined with their remaining fixture but as we know this league isn''t straightforward, there will be some shocks I suspect in the remaining fixtures.

We can only do our very best to secure an auto spot - and that is best done in the ''here and now''. Should we slip up (to win every single game is hugely optimistic.) we''ll be in the play-offs. If we were in a four way shoot-out, which manager from the play-off teams would you prefer to have leading our team?

Personally I wouldn''t dream of swapping Alex Neil for anyone else. He''s been an awesome discovery...

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Woodman"]Wonder why we didn''t appoint Alex Neil in the summer instead of Adams?[/quote]I am lead to believe that he wasn''t available then, have heard rumours that he wanted to make sure Hamilton were safe first.There has also been speculation that McNally was overruled by the rest of the board re the Adams appointment.All pure speculation, of course.[/quote]I prefer theories based on facts. We watched every Hamilton game this season. To look at players? Possibly in part, but every game? That smacks of overkill (not least because we ended up only buying one of their players anyway). No; mainly we were seeing if Neil could cut it in the Scottish top flight or whether his limit was the lower leagues. Presumably assessing his game-management skills and tactical nous. Evidently we liked what we saw enough to act when it was decided Adams was not quite up to the job.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Woodman"]Wonder why we didn''t appoint Alex Neil in the summer instead of Adams?[/quote]I am lead to believe that he wasn''t available then, have heard rumours that he wanted to make sure Hamilton were safe first.There has also been speculation that McNally was overruled by the rest of the board re the Adams appointment.All pure speculation, of course.[/quote]I prefer theories based on facts. We watched every Hamilton game this season. To look at players? Possibly in part, but every game? That smacks of overkill (not least because we ended up only buying one of their players anyway). No; mainly we were seeing if Neil could cut it in the Scottish top flight or whether his limit was the lower leagues. Presumably assessing his game-management skills and tactical nous. Evidently we liked what we saw enough to act when it was decided Adams was not quite up to the job.

[/quote]Still theories though, eh?

[quote user="morty"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Woodman"]Wonder why we didn''t appoint Alex Neil in the summer instead of Adams?[/quote]I am lead to believe that he wasn''t available then, have heard rumours that he wanted to make sure Hamilton were safe first.There has also been speculation that McNally was overruled by the rest of the board re the Adams appointment.All pure speculation, of course.[/quote]I prefer theories based on facts. We watched every Hamilton game this season. To look at players? Possibly in part, but every game? That smacks of overkill (not least because we ended up only buying one of their players anyway). No; mainly we were seeing if Neil could cut it in the Scottish top flight or whether his limit was the lower leagues. Presumably assessing his game-management skills and tactical nous. Evidently we liked what we saw enough to act when it was decided Adams was not quite up to the job.

[/quote]Still theories though, eh?[/quote]No. I only put forward one theory, rather than more than one, and in any event I am afraid you seem not to understand the meaning of the word. A theory is not speculation unsupported by evidence, and certainly not, as in your case, two pieces of unsupported speculation that are mutually exclusive. It cannot both be that Neil was unavailable and that he was but McNally got outvoted by a majority wanting Adams.A theory is a conclusion based on factual evidence. So my conclusion that we didn''t choose Neil in the summer because we were not yet sure about him, rather than for any other reason, is based on the fact that we watched every Hamilton game until we made our move.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="morty"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Woodman"]Wonder why we didn''t appoint Alex Neil in the summer instead of Adams?[/quote]I am lead to believe that he wasn''t available then, have heard rumours that he wanted to make sure Hamilton were safe first.There has also been speculation that McNally was overruled by the rest of the board re the Adams appointment.All pure speculation, of course.[/quote]I prefer theories based on facts. We watched every Hamilton game this season. To look at players? Possibly in part, but every game? That smacks of overkill (not least because we ended up only buying one of their players anyway). No; mainly we were seeing if Neil could cut it in the Scottish top flight or whether his limit was the lower leagues. Presumably assessing his game-management skills and tactical nous. Evidently we liked what we saw enough to act when it was decided Adams was not quite up to the job.

[/quote]Still theories though, eh?[/quote]No. I only put forward one theory, rather than more than one, and in any event I am afraid you seem not to understand the meaning of the word. A theory is not speculation unsupported by evidence, and certainly not, as in your case, two pieces of unsupported speculation that are mutually exclusive. It cannot both be that Neil was unavailable and that he was but McNally got outvoted by a majority wanting Adams.A theory is a conclusion based on factual evidence. So my conclusion that we didn''t choose Neil in the summer because we were not yet sure about him, rather than for any other reason, is based on the fact that we watched every Hamilton game until we made our move.

[/quote]If you are still unclear on this crucial semantic difference this may help:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTOH8QK-6HA

Interesting that we were watching every single Hamilton game- makes you wonder how long term the appointment of Adams was viewed.

Shelves are only half up, got a spirit level you could borrow?

In all seriousness I''ve got a nice 11 page thread I can post this stuff in. I just find it intriguing that we apparently spent all year scouting the replacement for the manager we''d just given the job.

[quote user="king canary"]Interesting that we were watching every single Hamilton game- makes you wonder how long term the appointment of Adams was viewed.[/quote]Just thinking ahead in case. There is always a chance with any manager that they will need replacing, so having a contingency plan makes sense. It doesn''t necessarily indicate a lack of faith in the incumbent.

Agree with that Purple but every single game seems excessive for a contingency plan- clearly though I don''t work in football so this may actually be the norm.

[quote user="king canary"]Agree with that Purple but every single game seems excessive for a contingency plan- clearly though I don''t work in football so this may actually be the norm.[/quote]It does look a bit like overkill but there may have been an element that they thought Adams, being inexperienced, was more of a risk than a known quantity, and so wanted to be sure of having a Plan B to act on immediately. And before any other club made a move. It was certainly clear from how soon after Adams "resigned" that we were talking to Hamilton and Neil that we had already made our mind up he was the man. In fact it all happened so quickly, with McNally supposedly flying up to Scotland, I wonder if we had not already contacted Hamilton that weekend, before Adams left on the Monday.