Sign in to follow this  
nutty nigel

Alex Neil tonight...

I love the way he puts himself across Nutty. Even when we played Brighton, they were interviewing him and said "I bet you haven''t had much chance to look ahead to preparing for Sheffield Wednesday" and he cooly replied "Of course I have."

I like today how he said he prepares the players as if every other team has already won. It''s key to not rely on what others do, and focus on ourselves.

Agreed with all of the above.  

Its still very very early,  and next season (wherever we play) will tell us far more,  but its increasingly looking like we could have something very very special.

[URL=http://s869.photobucket.com/user/mortymccarthy/media/11011442_10155420979770258_6796804791103400235_n_zpsbu4ijtyc.jpg.html][IMG]http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab257/mortymccarthy/11011442_10155420979770258_6796804791103400235_n_zpsbu4ijtyc.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Loved the line about ''I work on the basis they''ve already won'' when talking about other teams. Absolute focus and reminds me of Lambert in his ability to squeeze everything out of the players at his disposal.

Still 3 massive games to go but proved already those on here who slated his appointment that he was the right man for the job.

Yes he had the squad here to work with but as he said in an interview the other day, he''s kept the players instructions really simple and it''s working and massive credit to him for doing so.

[quote user="Rich T The Biscuit"]Still 3 massive games to go but proved already those on here who slated his appointment that he was the right man for the job.

Yes he had the squad here to work with but as he said in an interview the other day, he''s kept the players instructions really simple and it''s working and massive credit to him for doing so.[/quote]I don''t remember anyone actually slating him as such, but people were rightly cautious about someone who most had never even heard of.

@Morty

I don''t think people slated him as such but quite a few slated the appointment as ''the cheap option'' and showing a lack of ambition.

[quote user="king canary"]@Morty

I don''t think people slated him as such but quite a few slated the appointment as ''the cheap option'' and showing a lack of ambition.[/quote]Yeah you''re probably right, I remember saying at the time we needed a real statement of intent from the board, a manager that would show the fans, and other teams, that we mean business. And I, like most were a little underwhelmed.Just confirms that David McNally knows more about choosing a manager than any of us do.

To be fair to McNally, when he''s been solely in charge of selecting our managers, they''ve proved to be the right decisions. Whenever its been a board decision, its turned to s**t.

Whatever happens this season, Alex Neil was the right choice. He''s proved that beyond doubt.

Yep, it seems an exceptionally well researched appointment. I remember being a bit confused but also quite excited by the appointment as most of the names people were mentioning did nothing for me. There were a few too many of our fans who jumped to the conclusion that AN would be a failure before a ball was kicked though which was a disappointment.

I wasn''t disappointed when AN got the job, it was more a case of ''I''ve never heard of you but we''ve gone straight for you so we must know something''.

[quote user="king canary"]Yep, it seems an exceptionally well researched appointment. I remember being a bit confused but also quite excited by the appointment as most of the names people were mentioning did nothing for me. There were a few too many of our fans who jumped to the conclusion that AN would be a failure before a ball was kicked though which was a disappointment.[/quote]I think a bit of cautious skepticism was justified, but sometimes it really is best to just button it, and see how things pan out.I had faith on McNally, because if he hadn''t researched this properly then it would have been tantamount to boardroom suicide, this one needed to work out. The fanbase had been divided over Hughton, and it had become obvious, with no disrespect to him, that Adams wasn''t quite working out, so McNally must have been massively confident in Alex Neil''s abilities.

You''re right, Adams wasn''t working out and I don''t think we''d have even finished in a play off place with him in charge.

However, it''s only recently that I''ve looked back at results and realised just how many massive results Adams got for us during a tricky period of his tenure. Wigan away, Bolton at home, the potential banana skin home fixtures before and just after Christmas against Huddesfield and Millwall. Then the Brentford victory, Cardiff victory, Ipswich victory, Blackburn at home, Watford at home etc etc.

Whilst his resignation/dismissal was absolutely the right decision, he picked up some crucial points for us.

Thank goodness he was because it''s been a great run of results since he came in that can no longer be put down to a lucky fluke.

Mcnally does have an eye for these types of manager.

[quote user="Row D Seat 7"]You''re right, Adams wasn''t working out and I don''t think we''d have even finished in a play off place with him in charge.

However, it''s only recently that I''ve looked back at results and realised just how many massive results Adams got for us during a tricky period of his tenure. Wigan away, Bolton at home, the potential banana skin home fixtures before and just after Christmas against Huddesfield and Millwall. Then the Brentford victory, Cardiff victory, Ipswich victory, Blackburn at home, Watford at home etc etc.

Whilst his resignation/dismissal was absolutely the right decision, he picked up some crucial points for us.[/quote]Absolutely[Y]Adams walked away with his head held high, which is why I used the phrase "didn''t quite work out" rather than one like "failure"

Yeah failure is very harsh and unfair, especially as he won his last league game for us 6-1, is that right?! So yeah, hardly failure, more that it just wasn''t quite working.

[quote user="king canary"]There is a whole other 10 page thread you guys might be interested in... ;)[/quote]Nah lol.It can be summed up with "Neil Adams did a good job for us, but for various reasons it wasn''t quite good enough. And Alex Neil is the real deal and will surpass Lambert''s success. They have both contributed to a fantastic season"It certainly doesn''t need ten pages of toing and froing and penis measurement.[;)]

[quote user="king canary"]But I went out and bought a tape measure and everything! What am I supposed to do now, put up some shelves?[/quote][:D]

[quote user="Woodman"]Wonder why we didn''t appoint Alex Neil in the summer instead of Adams?[/quote]I am lead to believe that he wasn''t available then, have heard rumours that he wanted to make sure Hamilton were safe first.There has also been speculation that McNally was overruled by the rest of the board re the Adams appointment.All pure speculation, of course.

Now Morty, if Lakey had continued posting on that thread so would you. And by now it would be 20 pages with 10 reserved for measuring you twos dicks.....

;)

[quote user="nutty nigel"]Now Morty, if Lakey had continued posting on that thread so would you. And by now it would be 20 pages with 10 reserved for measuring you twos dicks.....

;)[/quote]Mine is bigger.Fact.

It would be interesting to look back on this board to see when Alex Neil became a McNally appointment. I remember when he first came people weren''t quite ready to nail their colours.

The McNally appointment/Delia appointment idea is always one of the most ridiculous talking points on this forum. Always amazed how despite having been a pretty dam successful team since the relegation to league one how desperate some folks are to turn on Delia when given even the slightest chance.

I am lead to believe that he wasn''t available then, have heard rumours that he wanted to make sure Hamilton were safe first.

There has also been speculation that McNally was overruled by the rest of the board re the Adams appointment.

All pure speculation, of course.

Now then Morty you are always the first to shoot people down for rumor and speculation.