Sign in to follow this  
king canary

OT- Bradford Fire

Some shocking revelations emerging about the Bradford fire today.

''The blaze that killed 56 football fans at Bradford City’s Valley Parade ground in 1985 was just one of at least nine fires at businesses owned by or associated with the club’s then chairman, according to extraordinary evidence published for the first time.''

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/apr/15/bradford-fire-stafford-heginbotham-martin-fletcher

Horrendous if true.

Interesting that there are some aspects which were not published. But the story about fires at Heginbothams businesses previously was known in the aftermath of the disaster.

I watched nearly every home match of that season living in the City then. An incredible season with brilliant football.

And I was at the fire standing on that occasion at the kop end. The heat was so unbearable you had to move well before the full force of the fire took hold. The whole lot up went so quickly. Maybe 15 minutes. It shocked me for years and in this 30th year I may at last decide to go to one of the yearly rememberance events in the city centre.

[quote user="sonyc"]Interesting that there are some aspects which were not published. But the story about fires at Heginbothams businesses previously was known in the aftermath of the disaster.

I watched nearly every home match of that season living in the City then. An incredible season with brilliant football.

And I was at the fire standing on that occasion at the kop end. The heat was so unbearable you had to move well before the full force of the fire took hold. The whole lot up went so quickly. Maybe 15 minutes. It shocked me for years and in this 30th year I may at last decide to go to one of the yearly rememberance events in the city centre.[/quote]Blimey, you were there? [:(]The video of the stand is used in military and offshore fire training as an example of just how quickly a fire can spread, and the consequences of poor housekeeping and flouting of fire regulations.

[quote user="sonyc"]Interesting that there are some aspects which were not published. But the story about fires at Heginbothams businesses previously was known in the aftermath of the disaster.

And I was at the fire standing on that occasion at the kop end. The heat was so unbearable you had to move well before the full force of the fire took hold. The whole lot up went so quickly. Maybe 15 minutes. It shocked me for years and in this 30th year I may at last decide to go to one of the yearly rememberance events in the city centre.[/quote]Oh dear God you poor soul. I remember the day it happened and footage was being released on the news of a couple of people on fire  escaping the stands to the pitch - the reporter was struggling to hold back tears [:(]

Well thanks Quentin and Morty. I am not seeking any sympathy though, save that for the bereaved. The 11th May always strikes a chord with me each year of course. But it has had a massive effect on many people just like Hillsborough. I can recall it all though like yesterday and people on fire or partly on fire on the pitch! You don''t forget. I think his book will be worth supporting and I hope he gets further with his investigation.

......in those days people could never contact you by mobile phone like now and you had to telephone from a red phone box to friends and family to let them know you were ok!

Ps. And Quentin, your avatar looks like a Parsons Jack Russell? I have one .....white with one brown ear.

[quote user="sonyc"]Ps. And Quentin, your avatar looks like a Parsons Jack Russell? I have one .....white with one brown ear.[/quote]Jack Russell, Lhasa apso cross, sonyc -- character and a half he is [:D]