Sign in to follow this  
Making Plans

Far too much pessimism around

What''s wrong with everyone - we are in 2nd position, a goal to the good versus Watford, 3 games to go and yet everyone is looking on the negative side.Everyone seems to think that Bournemouth & Watford are going to coast it and that they''re unbeatable. Ask yourselves how many times have we thought that the next game was a doddle - Charlton (h), Reading (h), Fulham (a), Rotherham (h), Wigan (h).It can, and does, happen.Bournemouth & Watford are just as likely to drop points as we are irrespective of who or where they are playing.What''s more, a draw for one of them will probably be good enough for us to get promotion as long as we win our 3 games.Then, as if that isn''t enough, everyone thinks it''ll be 1p5wich for us in the play offs but they have to play Wolves (a), Forest (h) and Blackburn (a) so they could just as easily finish 7th or 8th as 6th.

I am justifiably cautious.It couldn''t be any closer, I don''t think I have ever seen a promotion race like this.Someone will slip up, and we have just as much of a chance of doing so as any of the others.Whatever happens, its been quite a season!

We have just got to go out and beat Boro.

The goals can take care of themselves. If it''s a single goal win I''d take it now.

We have also come through a tough set of fixtures and the Boro game is another one. If we get promoted we definitely deserve it.

It is about time Carrow Road became an asset to the team too. Home games have been our downfall. It is up to the fans to turn up and bring the team through.

Sadly I just lost out on a couple of tickets but I''ll be there in spirit.

I''m with Morty, one thing is for certain that there will only be 2 from 4, just hope, it''s us.

The problem with this board is the people who come on here with their bold statements about what they are and what everyone else is just to cause conflict devalue what this board should be avout, good debate.

Still those anti-plastics will clearly be hoping that we are one of the 2 that misses out and then fail in the play off just to stop those they call plastics from wanting to come to Carrow Road

Whilst desperately hoping for automatic promotion I''m totally confident AN would get the players'' heads right for the play-offs. And what do we have to fear? Ipswich - doubled them already. Derby - very lucky to get away with two draws against us. Wolves - awful when they were here a few weeks ago. Middlesborough - we''ll know more about them after tomorrow. I really don''t think there''s anyone we need fear if it comes to it.

Agreed Making plans - all we can do is win our own games - 9 more points puts the onus on others to do the same - and in watfords case score more. Play without fear.

However it would be so very typical NCFC to become a record holder of the team to have accumulated most points and NOT get promoted - would go well with being the highest ever placed english team to have a negative goal difference at the season end

[quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"]We have just got to go out and beat Boro.

The goals can take care of themselves. If it''s a single goal win I''d take it now.

We have also come through a tough set of fixtures and the Boro game is another one. If we get promoted we definitely deserve it.

It is about time Carrow Road became an asset to the team too. Home games have been our downfall. It is up to the fans to turn up and bring the team through.

Sadly I just lost out on a couple of tickets but I''ll be there in spirit.[/quote]

I''d agree its about the points.  But if we win our last three games and Watford and Bn''mth do too, it will come down to goal difference and that means that final match coud well be the scenario of having to outscore Watford. It would make for an incredibly tense match, not just having to win, but at the same time wondering about Watfrd. A difficult situation for the players of both teams, knowing they have to keep scoring to secure that second place.   Hopefully we will be clear by the last match, but atm everyone is winning everything so it could well be squeaky bum time in that last match.

Funny how everyone including the media assume Bournemouth are already promoted. Dangerous game. Anything can happen in the next 3. I think we will win our remaining 3 and just hope someone slips up. Im confident.

And the betting market as well, Bournemouth are like 1 to 9 to go up now. It''s very plausible that both us and Watford could win our remaining games and then Bournemouth would need just one slip up and they''d be in the playoffs.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]And the betting market as well, Bournemouth are like 1 to 9 to go up now. It''s very plausible that both us and Watford could win our remaining games and then Bournemouth would need just one slip up and they''d be in the playoffs.[/quote]Bournemouth still have to play Sheff Wed, Bolton, and are away to Charlton on the last day.Plenty of scope for dropped points there.

Making Plans wrote the following post at 16/04/2015 12:10 PM:

What''s wrong with everyone - we are in 2nd position, a goal to the good versus Watford, 3 games to go and yet everyone is looking on the negative side.

Everyone seems to think that Bournemouth & Watford are going to coast it and that they''re unbeatable.

Ask yourselves how many times have we thought that the next game was a doddle - Charlton (h), Reading (h), Fulham (a), Rotherham (h), Wigan (h).

It can, and does, happen.

Bournemouth & Watford are just as likely to drop points as we are irrespective of who or where they are playing.

What''s more, a draw for one of them will probably be good enough for us to get promotion as long as we win our 3 games.

Then, as if that isn''t enough, everyone thinks it''ll be 1p5wich for us in the play offs but they have to play Wolves (a), Forest (h) and Blackburn (a) so they could just as easily finish 7th or 8th as 6th.

Spot on MP, we are in the driving seat, I am hugely impressed with confidence and belief within our squad and the least I can do as a fan is match that.

On Tuesday night we were in a hole, very poor first half and a missed penalty against a Leeds side who were playing very well and closing us down at every opportunity.

The way we reacted in the second half was outstanding and showed the real spirit and quality in the squad.

I would back them 100% to do the business for us and we will be going into the game on Friday with confidence and expectation.😄

As Morty says, Norwich are just as likely to drop points as any other team. There is such little difference now...

Weeks ago I thought it would come down to whichever two teams make the fewest mistakes in the run-in. We''ve ridden our luck a bit at times, however we''ve usually created our own good fortune too. We''re as good or better than anyone in the division right now - primarily we need 6 points out of the next two games before assessing what''s required (if anything) when we play Fulham.

Well said MP and Mr Jenkins

You just have to have total focus on a positive outcome, anything less, could result in a ''mental'' slip up/mistake, proving costly

At HT on Tuesday, the only worse possible situation, was if Leeds had scored at that point. Less than an hour later and we were (still) in 2nd, with one less game to play. I don''t know if this has ever been said before, but ''It is a funny old game"

I just cannot believe that we''re having to get a better goal difference than a team we''ve beaten 6-0 over the course of two games this season!

What an insane league.

Jenkins wrote

"Spot on MP, we are in the driving seat, I am hugely impressed with confidence and belief within our squad and the least I can do as a fan is match that.

On Tuesday night we were in a hole, very poor first half and a missed penalty against a Leeds side who were playing very well and closing us down at every opportunity.

The way we reacted in the second half was outstanding and showed the real spirit and quality in the squad.

I would back them 100% to do the business for us and we will be going into the game on Friday with confidence and expectation.😄 "

Nail hit firmly on the head, Jenkins, that performance showed they (players) both believe and want, its massively exciting and nerve racking at same time, Loving it............

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Jimmy Smith"]And the betting market as well, Bournemouth are like 1 to 9 to go up now. It''s very plausible that both us and Watford could win our remaining games and then Bournemouth would need just one slip up and they''d be in the playoffs.[/quote]Bournemouth still have to play Sheff Wed, Bolton, and are away to Charlton on the last day.Plenty of scope for dropped points there.

[/quote]

Kind of wish they had harder games but you''re right, they are not foregone conclusions.

The best bit about a potential Bournemouth slip up would mean an end to this annoying goal difference battle with Watford.

Don''t think it is necessarily pessimism, more just nerves about being in a very unique situation. Especially given that finishing in 3rd place usually leads to a very cruel fate in the play-offs, as recent years have shown.

I get the impression that all four clubs at the top feel that automatic promotion is the only viable route, and do not fancy there chances facing resurgent teams, that finish in 5th and 6th, in the play-offs.

That said it has been a great end to the season and has finally began to lift the shadow of the previous 18 months. Just hope we can see it through.

I can’t believe 3 teams will win all of their remaining 3 games.  That’s a swing of 9 wins.  Would be incredible if 3 of the top 4 do this.