Sign in to follow this  
Tetteys Jig

know what the biggest joke is?

We gave surman to Bournemouth, bassong to Watford for half a year and Ayala to boro for a combined £500k. All have been key for them 3 sides. Astonishing mismanagement really! That would never have happened on Alex Neils watch.

Surman was at best a bit part player here at the time, Ayala was pretty awful when he was here and we know the story behind Bassong.

Not to mention that Ayala was a total sicknote, Surman not a lot better.

if there''s any joke, it''s that our players turned up at 8pm last night, not 7.45pm. Plus, we failed to learn anything from the Wigan home defeat.

Despite what players we had in the past, we didn''t do the job we should''ve done last night. That''s it.

I always rated Ayala. Just a shame he was so injury-plagued during his time with us. Was always going to be a classy defender at this level given a long run without many injury absences.Surman = neat and tidy. We''ve got plenty of others like that.Bassong - yes, the decision to loan him to Watford (of all teams) was ridiculous.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]We gave surman to Bournemouth, bassong to Watford for half a year and Ayala to boro for a combined £500k. All have been key for them 3 sides. Astonishing mismanagement really! That would never have happened on Alex Neils watch.[/quote]What''s this, another bash at Neil Adams like you blamed him for our defeat last night! Get a grip you gigantic spunk trumpet, the joke''s on you! 

[quote user="quentin fulcher"][quote user="Jimmy Smith"]We gave surman to Bournemouth, bassong to Watford for half a year and Ayala to boro for a combined £500k. All have been key for them 3 sides. Astonishing mismanagement really! That would never have happened on Alex Neils watch.[/quote]What''s this, another bash at Neil Adams like you blamed him for our defeat last night! Get a grip you gigantic spunk trumpet, the joke''s on you! [/quote][:D]

[quote user="morty"][quote user="quentin fulcher"][quote user="Jimmy Smith"]We gave surman to Bournemouth, bassong to Watford for half a year and Ayala to boro for a combined £500k. All have been key for them 3 sides. Astonishing mismanagement really! That would never have happened on Alex Neils watch.[/quote]What''s this, another bash at Neil Adams like you blamed him for our defeat last night! Get a grip you gigantic spunk trumpet, the joke''s on you! [/quote][:D][/quote]

[:D][B][Y]

Didn''t blame last night on Neil Adams at all. I blamed our lack of place in the automatic promotion spaces on the ridiculous decision to appoint him in summer.

I couldn''t give a toss what the "situation" was with Bassong, we missed him big time and if we didn''t like him, don''t bloody give him to an obvious promotion rival!

Surman, we needed him, he''d have had some regular games on the left before we stumbled across the Bradley Johnson solution and more when we had a centre mid crisis like the Brentford home game. I''d have kept him after what had been a great preseason for us. He could have been a key player. Instead, we wasted £4m on Kyle Lafferty and then played him left mid. Terrible decision as it proved to be.

I''ll give you the Ayala one, we were "established" in the prem when we got rid of him after coming 11th in our second season and he''d been a sick note. It''s just a shame he''s now better than our centre halves! Imagine having him and Bassong as our back two!

I only hope now that Alex Neil can continue to do the good work he''s been doing, keep the momentum going and we can win the playoffs or somehow get lucky with autos still. I worry about us if we don''t go up this year. I can see a few key players moving on.

Did you have Watford down as a promotion contender before the season started then Jimmy?

Yep, thought they''d be up there and they had started brightly when we gave them Bassong.

A team with Troy Deeney in is always going to figure at this level. Outstanding striker.

Hindsight is great but ayala was impressive and while he was with us did the dave watson first season thing of a goal conceeding mistake a game - like dave watson he was learned from those mistakes and become a good defending.

The harder one to understand is Surman, had a couple of very good seasons with us under lambert including our first prem season when playing well and scoring, competing as well as our current midfielders - no sign of being lightweight or injury prone then.

Sadly he got a very serious injury and took a while to recover - and he does seem to be a player discarded far too quickly - as a second successful season at Bournemouth has shown.. Whether the player (or ayala wanted to stay is another matter

whether they would have played or had an impact this season or last night will simply never be known.

Surman didn''t want to stay. Adams tried to persuade him to stay but he didn''t want to. He''s from that part of the world and wanted to go back there. I was told at the time that he and his family were out and about and his kids were in Bournemouth shirts. I don''t blame the chap, I think he could have helped us last season when we lacked a bit of class at times.He is more than neat and tidy when given the chance, and for me, always linked up well with our other ''intelligent'' players.Last night we were beaten because Middlesborough''s midfield were stronger.

Add to that Chris Martins goals which would have been extremely useful.

Although Ayala had a couple of bad games here, he was still young and I could see he had potential. Who doesn''t have the occasional bad game anyway. He was probably the best defender on the pitch yesterday. So which manager let him go ? Instead we brought in Hoojfeld, Turner and a Spaniard I haven''t seen yet.

We''ve had some poor acquisitions. I''m not sure whether Andreu will be good enough for the Championship, only time will tell.

Ayala and Chris Martin were both allowed to leave by Hughton. Ayala was sold to Middlesborough for around £350k according to wiki right at the end of January 2014.At that point, Turner was well into his second season with us so not sure why he has been drawn into this discussion.As for Bassongs loan to Watford, he made 11 appearances for them: 5 wins, 2 draws and 4 losses according to soccerbase so 17 out of a possible 33. I suspect, but am willing to be proven wrong, that they have surpassed that in the rest of the season in terms of points per game - so was his impact really that massive for them? I know you will argue that if he blocked one shot, stopped one goal it could have changed one game and put us closer to them, but then you are into the realms of if''s and buts.Chris Martin is one I said at the time I thought was worth keeping. A lot of people disagreed. But considering what he has achieved since and the fact that last season especially, we were really without much quality in the striker department at all bar Hooper, I think it''s underlined that he could have at least offered us something.But then not all players can be kept, not all want to stay. We are where we are because so far, over the course of this season, this is where we deserve to be. It is as simple as that. People bang on about on paper - best squad in the league. We went up with Lambert with a squad that wasn''t the best in the league. They were the best team that season though.

If Watford win the title does Bassong get a winners medal?

I remember somewhere Peter Crouch getting one for us as he played more than 10 games. Bassong played 11 for Watford