Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Pressure and nerves

Not something we always like to think about, but we were undoubtedly a bit more nervous than Middsbro yesterday, with them being in a position almost of nothing to lose in really going for it and us being the team with more expectation, in second place and being at home. Having gone for it and got that goal, they were worth their win, but it does show that the pressure and nerves will be a real factor in the next two weeks - and it was shown again today at Bournemouth and Watford, one nervously drawing and the other squeaking past Birmingham. 

The pressure is off us marginally as we are now the team with nothing to lose, having dropped down a place or two and it is the other three who will be really feeling the pressure - especially with tricky games next weekend.  Our games are not a given, but really going for it with the shackles off, we should be able to win both and improve our gd in the process - and come the last day of the season, put ourselves right there in the mix for automatics.  It needs favourable results elsewhere next week, of course but Bn''mth have shown frailty - Watford only scraped through today and that is encouraging for the rest of us. 

I''m no horse race expert, but I know that the favoured horse in a race is the one just off the shoulder of the front runners, who can make a late surge to win or at least get a place. We can do that and it might just be enough. 

You''re right LDC, we''re just off the shoulder of the front runners and can indeed get a place. It just remains to be seen whether it''s 3rd or 4th

[quote user="ruthers1"]You''re right LDC, we''re just off the shoulder of the front runners and can indeed get a place. It just remains to be seen whether it''s 3rd or 4th[/quote]For me its a race that can still be won.

As you''re dead keen on keeping the horse racing analogy LDC let me tell you where we''re at - we''re 5 lengths behind the front two with only half a furlong to the finishing post.

And as for betting on it I wouldn''t wager a pound of YOUR money on us overtaking them and I suspect you won''t be putting your own money where your mouth is either?!

[quote user="lake district canary"]Not something we always like to think about, but we were undoubtedly a bit more nervous than Middsbro yesterday, with them being in a position almost of nothing to lose in really going for it and us being the team with more expectation, in second place and being at home. Having gone for it and got that goal, they were worth their win, but it does show that the pressure and nerves will be a real factor in the next two weeks - and it was shown again today at Bournemouth and Watford, one nervously drawing and the other squeaking past Birmingham. 

The pressure is off us marginally as we are now the team with nothing to lose, having dropped down a place or two and it is the other three who will be really feeling the pressure - especially with tricky games next weekend.  Our games are not a given, but really going for it with the shackles off, we should be able to win both and improve our gd in the process - and come the last day of the season, put ourselves right there in the mix for automatics.  It needs favourable results elsewhere next week, of course but Bn''mth have shown frailty - Watford only scraped through today and that is encouraging for the rest of us. 

I''m no horse race expert, but I know that the favoured horse in a race is the one just off the shoulder of the front runners, who can make a late surge to win or at least get a place. We can do that and it might just be enough. 

[/quote]You should have stopped there!

Just hope 2 of the front 3 do a devon loch or a foinavon event to leaves us ahead of the rest..

A flawed analogy. The jockey would choose to hold back and then accelerate, whereas we would not choose to lose a game of football to one of our promotion rivals. It is in the jockey''s control whereas auto promotion is now out of our hands.

I just hope we have the final day scenario that we can achieve second place if we stick five past Fulham. And then we do, obviously.

Meanwhile, "Sergeant Bin", with its invisible jockey, staggers over the line in seventh.

Now, we are not exactly breathing down their necks, as there are only 2 games to go, but all 3 teams know that they are 1 slip up from letting us back in.

The subtle difference is that we do have players that have experienced this type of pressure before, and the other 3 haven''t (Just look at the Bournemouth players after yesterdays game) FFS Bournemouth are still ina great position, but those pictures will offer our players a massive lift after Friday

Pressure in sport is a funny old thing

I didn''t see any of that. I saw us come up against the best type of pacy, direct, counter attacking side that we''ve struggled against all year and we didn''t have enough quality to break them down as they packed the penalty area for 70 minutes and everyone in this team struggles with their final ball and have all their careers.

That result was nothing to do with our players mental strength, our tactics or anything like that, we''re a championship side and as such cannot possibly be a complete team, we will have weaknesses to exploit. We''re a bit one dimentional and unimaginative in attack and our defence can''t cope with being turned and caught over the top. Us not being able to break them down was not a surprise, Arsenal struggled to break down Reading yesterday for example, unless you have top level (by the highest standard) attacking players in your team anyone will struggle against 10 men behind the ball.

No matter what division we''re in next year I''m so looking forward to us no longer being seen as a scalp and not having every single frigging team we come up against play at their best against us!

yes, Crabby, the sight of those Bournemouth players in tears at the end of their game yesterday was pretty revelaing about the pressure theyre feeling.

You might say that having been down to 10 men ,they would be pleased with the point that keeps them in second.....but those sights suggest to me a fragile mindset that perhaps shows that theyre not confident of finishing the job and winning their last 2 games.

Its not as easy is it Bouremouth when the referee is against you for once is it?