Sign in to follow this  
whoareyou?

Lambert to manage Borussia Dortmund?

He is being heavily linked to the job, not surprisingly i suppose.http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/ex-aston-villa-boss-paul-lambert-9050314

Champions league winner with them, must speak the language (I guess) can see this happening, a great opportunity after the season they have had for him to go in and re-establish his career.

He doesn''t speak the language (he was only in Germany for one season) - but is very good friends with the Sporting Director and has been spending a lot of time coaching there since leaving Villa.

I''m sure they will think about him as a replacement, but it will almost certainly be Thomas Tuchel to take over.

When I said on a previous thread he''d manage in the Bundesliga, a few posters shot me down.

Bethnal he does speak german https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/24022011/58/dugout-paul-lambert-answers-questions.html

Interesting he says he speaks German, if he does he isn''t particularly fluent as he always speaks English when doing interviews out there (he was on German TV quite a bit after being sacked and around the Dortmund v Juve games).

Suppose it''s been a while since he was out there, he may have forgotten it all with lack of use.

To be a football manager you only need a few phrases so he should soon be able to pick them up again

eg. he''s done greet for mee:

[quote user="jedi"]Bethnal he does speak german https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/24022011/58/dugout-paul-lambert-answers-questions.html[/quote]Yes, but is this ''Basic'' German, as in the sort of stuff that means you can go to a hotdog stand and get a bite to eat, or is it more fluent German where he could explain more complex ideas and strategies regarding how he wants to play football to a squad full of players?I could easily see a player managing to get by perfectly well with just a fairly basic understanding of the language, but managing a team would be a totally different kettle of fish.

The language thing isn''t hugely important as most of the squad speak good English anyway.

Whilst Lambert is highly thought of in the Dortmund backrooms, I doubt they would appoint him as the fans wouldn''t be too happy with someone who has a rather chequered record in the Premier League (and that is being a little flattering). Especially as they are having a nightmare of a season.

He might be offered a position as a coach, which I doubt he''d want, but I can''t see him being the next manager.

I''d be pleased for him if he got this job, only in a football sense. From what I hear of him outside of football, he''s not been the most loyal person in the world, but he is certainly one of our best ever managers and deserved a better club than Villa. It was only due to his impatience that he ended up there - his own fault.

His career and what he did for us deserves more than him having to drop down to the Championship again. I never expected Lambert to grace the Championship ever again, yet he''s being linked with Brentford next season. I could only see him reaching the top whilst he was at Norwich but his own personality has been his downfall.

If he gets this job he''s a very lucky man indeed after the dross he produced at Villa.

Indy read the link. But his reply indicates he knows more than can I have a hotdog please.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"] Thomas Tuchel.[/quote]

Top class choice - am sure he would do very well, I am still surprised some of the better prem teams have not tempted him over with big wages.

Think it is hard to judge anyone''s managerial record at Aston Villa, same goes with Sunderland. They are both clubs where the club''s fans expectation does not meet reality, and as such are managerial graveyards.

Had he continued on with us for just a season more I think he would be in a far better position now. But he''s not the first manager to think the grass is greener and certainly will not be the last.

Lambert may end up managing Dortmund but highly doubt it will be in the next few months. Thomas Tuchel is in the Klopp mould and seems to be expected to take over. Lambert may be better served finding his next job in a European league where his Villa record can be somewhat forgotten, especially given his willingness to train and coach overseas.

Louis, you''ve beaten me to pointing out that Tuchel seems to be the favourite for the job, while probably another ex-Dortmund player Paolo Souza is also ahead of Lambert as he''s been highly successful with his three clubs (Videoton, Maccabi, Basel) both in the EL and CL after his departure from England.

I feel for Lambert. With a bit of time having passed it becomes clear he made a poor (if understandable) decision and took a job where he was on a hiding to nothing. He can bounce back though, I have no doubt and I think managing abroad could be the catalyst for him.

I don''t know, I think he arrogantly thought he had the magic touch after his Norwich spell. He made an error. One that will probably mean he''ll never manage at the very top. Loyalty, on and off the pitch, is not something Lambert has in his locker.

That doesn''t really make sense- Mourinho, Rodgers, Ancelotti don''t have a rep for loyalty- in fact I''d argue only Wenger and Ferguson really do.

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"] Thomas Tuchel.[/quote]

Top class choice - am sure he would do very well, I am still surprised some of the better prem teams have not tempted him over with big wages.[/quote]Yep. Good call.[url]http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/apr/19/thomas-tuchel-jurgen-klopp-borussia-dortmund-manager[/url]