Sign in to follow this  
ruthers1

Why we MUST try and finish 3rd

Contrary to all I''ve read on here it is imperative we win our last two games and finish 3rd.

My reasoning is based on the fact that the 3rd (and 5th) placed teams play their home semi games last.

This scenario is crucial for us because of a) our brilliant away form and b) what we''ve witnessed tonight in Boro putting 10 men behind the ball (like Charlton & Wigan did too) and leaving with a 1-0 win.

If we finish 4th we will be faced with a first leg at Carrow Road where the opposition manager (who will have watched tonight''s game) is bound to employ the same tactics hoping for a 1-0 smash and grab to take back to their place where they can defend again if need be if it means getting through to Wembley.

However, finish 3rd and we can be confident of beating any top 6 team away from home in a game they''ll have to come out and attack us in.

Assuming we win a first leg deficit, especially of two or more goals will then see our opponents needing to come to Carrow Road to attack which will ensure another open game.

Hope I''ve explained that well enough - in a nutshell IMO we need to try and engineer two open games otherwise I fear for our chances of getting to Wembley.

Aarrrgghh! It''s late - sorry it should read finish 3rd or 4th. Obviously 5th and 6th is what we want to avoid for the above reasoning.

IMO we will play Derby and then get revenge v Middlesbrough at Wembley....

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]I''d prefer we finish 4th than 3rd , which would avoid Ipswich who ,if they are in the playoffs, would probably be 6th[/quote]why avoid ipswich..would you want them in the final?I would rather play ipswich over 2 legs

[quote user="city4eva"][quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]I''d prefer we finish 4th than 3rd , which would avoid Ipswich who ,if they are in the playoffs, would probably be 6th[/quote]why avoid ipswich..would you want them in the final?I would rather play ipswich over 2 legs[/quote]

why would we have to play them at all?......whoever they played in the semi finals would knock them out

I have to say I''ve thought it likely for some time but would still prefer not to play the binmen in the play-offs. Yes, we comfortably beat them in both games, but it would be an entirely different ''cup game'' feel and i just fear it''d be one of those times where you double a side but they do you in the ''cup''.

by finishing 3rd or 4th its considered an advantage to have the 2nd leg at home........I''m not even sure that in our case that that''s even true??.....you could easily see another situation like last night occurring in a 2nd leg at Carrow Road with a side coming here and defending.I wonder whether we''d be more suited to playing a 2nd leg away?

[quote user="......and Smith must score."][quote user="lake district canary"]"Why we MUST try and finish 3rd"Can''t we still try and finish 2nd?  [/quote]Has 1st suddenly gone out of fashion LDC ? [;)][/quote]Ahhh....you got me [:O] I think even the most optimistic supporter would think top is unlikely, but second is a definite possibility with Watford having to play at Brighton and Middsbro at Fulham who are not safe yet.   Maybe clutching at straws, but even Bn''mth might start to feel the pressure with three clubs hovering around them with so much at stake.  If it goes to the last game of the season, anything can happen. Could even end up a goal chase with all four clubs ending the season on 88 points.

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="......and Smith must score."][quote user="lake district canary"]"Why we MUST try and finish 3rd"Can''t we still try and finish 2nd?  [/quote]Has 1st suddenly gone out of fashion LDC ? [;)][/quote]Ahhh....you got me [:O] I think even the most optimistic supporter would think top is unlikely, but second is a definite possibility with Watford having to play at Brighton and Middsbro at Fulham who are not safe yet.   Maybe clutching at straws, but even Bn''mth might start to feel the pressure with three clubs hovering around them with so much at stake.  If it goes to the last game of the season, anything can happen. Could even end up a goal chase with all four clubs ending the season on 88 points.

[/quote]Fair comment although I think '' definite possiblility '' is a over-egging it a bit on our chances of finishing 2nd. As you say anything can happen but the neutral would say we blew our chances of automatic last night.Let''s hope you''re right and we can sneak in somehow.

I agree with the logic of the OP.

I would certainly not want to play the binners in a one off match when a bad referee could decide the match but over two legs, I would be more confident that we would beat them.

Confident of beating Wolves, Ip£hit, Derby, Bournemouth and Watford. Not confident playing Brentford or Boro, especially Boro over 2 legs

[quote user="shaunieboy77"]With the exception of maybe Boro , I wonder who fancys their chances against us[/quote]This.I''d be happy with Ipswich or Derby.

I think it''s mathematically impossible to play Boro anytime sooner than the final as we practically cannot finish lower 4th. (unless I''m getting something entirely wrong) Playing Brentford with a proper midfield would be a whole different ballgame. Yet, of the possible sides we can meet in the final I''d fancy Boro the least to play against, so I kind of hope that one of the top two to slip up and Boro to move up. If we play Boro in the final we''d need to set up to avoid them scoring first at any cost (wise thing to do against anyone else, but vitally important against that lot).

Reading up apparently season long loans are allowed to play in play offs, emergency loans are no longer than 93 days except in emergency situations.

Interesting to read first leg of playoffs is Friday 8 May unless its Ipswich v Norwich when it is Saturday 9 May at 1215 and the other playoff is moved to the Friday.

It would appear Sky dictate everything now.