Sign in to follow this  
swjf50

Teams getting promotion

This isn''t sour grapes but I feel all of the top four would struggle in the Premiership. I have no doubt about it at all.

Even Leicester who ran away with the Championship last year will struggle to stay up, along with Burnley and QPR.

The gulf becomes bigger year after year, that''s why it is important that we get promoted whatever way is possible. Unless we are fortunate enough to get a wealthy investor we will drop further behind.

All promoted teams will need to spend heavily in the transfer market and will pay the price if their campaign is unsuccessful.

Our strike force, midfield and particularly the defence is nowhere good enough for the Premiership. All need strengthening.

We need a left winger, another play maker to compete with Hoolahan who probably isn''t quite good enough for the Prem now. As has been said before our full backs struggle at times in the Championship, also Martin and I think our strikers would be below average if we were to gain promotion.

Johnson, Howson, Tettey and Dorrans could do a good job, but as Lambert used to say, ''they need a little help''.

If we miss out on promotion, I can see Redmond and Ruddy definitely moving on. Whether Hooper does, remains to be seen. He''s not had a great season but doesn''t start as often as he would like. There''s always the chance Celtic could come back for him or a lowish /promoted prem team. Jerome is a useful Championship striker and may get ten goals in the Prem under AN. Grabban would need to sharpen up and if we lost Hooper we''d probably need to add 2 new players to our strike force. We have Wolfswnkel returning, but do we want him or do we sell him for a loss?

Johnson has had a great season and may attract attention from some clubs, so unfortunately he may leave if we fail to win the play-offs. Howson is another player who may have ambitions away from Norwich. So I expect big upheavals if we go up or remain in the Championship.

I agree the gap to the top 6/8 is insurmountable, but there really is little between the top championship sides and the bottom half of the prem.

I disagree with the OP on two counts:

Firstly, I think Bournemouth, if they get up, have the potential under Howe to ''do a Swansea'' and sustain a place in the Prem.

Also, should we be lucky enough to get a wealthy investor it won''t change our fortunes at all because Smith & Jones won''t sell up.

That might be true now but the gulf will get bigger because of the money being handed to clubs in the Premiership.

However, where do we ideally want to compete, in the top half or the bottom half of the Premiership?

We''ve had that tired old smith & Jones argument for years. Just look back on this message board and look at the investors that the likes of Ruthers have pinned their colours to in the past. My favourite was the Marcus Evans love in and how the wicked cook and her cohorts would never have invited him to "invest" in her dolls house. I guess that''s why so many posters continually reinvent themselves.

That''s not my point NN. I''m saying that IMO they will never sell up not that I want them to or have wanted them to in the past.

Well no, they won''t sell up as in take a mountain of dosh in return for the club. But if the right circumstances apply I believe they would stand aside in return for a mountain of dosh being invested in the football club. But not for a Evans like offer. Or indeed a Cullum like one.

Watford will stop up quite easily. We might even be competing for a top 6 spot.

This isn''t delusion - it''s based on the fact the Pozzo family have one of the largest scouting networks in the world, and we will be drawing from the huge pool of top drawer players at their disposal (completely free of charge of course).

The team we currently have are their second-tier players, and even some of those will comfortably make the step up. The fact that we won''t have to spend a fortune on foreign players means that we''ll be able to splash the premier league money on a few excellent home-grown players.

But is finishing 10th in the Premier league as exciting as being in with a shout of winning the Championship? Probably not.

No, you were right the first time - it''s delusion.And although i can''t speak about finishing 10th, finishing 11th and 12th in the Premier isn''t as exciting as being in with a shout of winning the Championship, no.Though the first year is always enjoyable!

Let''s hope we can get up somehow and reap the rewards for a season at least, because missing out will be a huge disappointment and a massive loss in revenue.

The team we have got now in my opinion is better than Burnley''s and on a par with Hull (better players in some spots but worse in others). That would get us 17th/18th at least. I feel with a couple of key additions, we''d comfortably survive. We have the experience other championship teams don''t as well.

We would definitely need another CB a RB, another wide option and at least 1 striker, maybe 2 (one deep lying striker). If we got them, we''d be set.

Examples of possible players would be Bamba, Trippier, Wilson, Deeney and Sako. If we had them 5 players, we''d comfortably survive.

The fact Burnley, who spent pretty much nothing over the summer, are only 2 points off being out of the drop zone shows that avoiding relegation isn''t impossible or unrealistic for promoted teams.

Frankly, some of the teams in the Premier League are awful and will survive - Hull and Sunderland are both just useless and would still be Premier League should the season end today.

Building a successful team in the Premier League requires a clear strategy and the bravery to stick with it when things are going badly - or recognise when it really isn''t working. Swansea, Southampton, Palace and West Brom are all examples of teams who have made the step-up in recently season and two of them are in the top 10 currently.

[quote user="Vicarage"]Watford will stop up quite easily. We might even be competing for a top 6 spot. This isn''t delusion - it''s based on the fact the Pozzo family have one of the largest scouting networks in the world, and we will be drawing from the huge pool of top drawer players at their disposal (completely free of charge of course). The team we currently have are their second-tier players, and even some of those will comfortably make the step up. The fact that we won''t have to spend a fortune on foreign players means that we''ll be able to splash the premier league money on a few excellent home-grown players. But is finishing 10th in the Premier league as exciting as being in with a shout of winning the Championship? Probably not.[/quote]

So did Baden Powell but that didn''t keep him in the Premier League.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]The fact Burnley, who spent pretty much nothing over the summer, are only 2 points off being out of the drop zone shows that avoiding relegation isn''t impossible or unrealistic for promoted teams.

Frankly, some of the teams in the Premier League are awful and will survive - Hull and Sunderland are both just useless and would still be Premier League should the season end today.

Building a successful team in the Premier League requires a clear strategy and the bravery to stick with it when things are going badly - or recognise when it really isn''t working. Swansea, Southampton, Palace and West Brom are all examples of teams who have made the step-up in recently season and two of them are in the top 10 currently.[/quote]

I used Hull as an example, as there are players they have who would walk into our line up. Jelavic, Hernandez and Dawson spring to mind. Past them guys though, there''s some real weak links in there.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]The fact Burnley, who spent pretty much nothing over the summer, are only 2 points off being out of the drop zone shows that avoiding relegation isn''t impossible or unrealistic for promoted teams. Frankly, some of the teams in the Premier League are awful and will survive - Hull and Sunderland are both just useless and would still be Premier League should the season end today. Building a successful team in the Premier League requires a clear strategy and the bravery to stick with it when things are going badly - or recognise when it really isn''t working. Swansea, Southampton, Palace and West Brom are all examples of teams who have made the step-up in recently season and two of them are in the top 10 currently.[/quote] I used Hull as an example, as there are players they have who would walk into our line up. Jelavic, Hernandez and Dawson spring to mind. Past them guys though, there''s some real weak links in there.[/quote]

Are you seriously proposing that two strikers with 12 goals between them would ''walk into our line up''?

I''m not sure about Jelavic, but Hernandez is pretty useless.

Hull this season remind me of Norwich last season - splashed big money on some big names in order to push on in the league but that has resulted in creating a slightly confused team who seem to lack a game plan.

The fact they can''t score goals and have a nightmare run in contribute to the resemblance with Norwich as well.

Agree Bethnal. if Burnley for example could score goals they would survive, they work hard are well organised, but 1 goal in last 7 I think, spells disaster, and that was in the main our problem last season, big gamble with RVW.

Look at Leicester started scoring goals and now have a real chance of staying up.

Teams who get promoted relying on solid defences tend to have more problems staying up than those who fire their way to promotion through scoring goals.

Hard to win games through defending alone - Leicester started their must win game against Swansea with three strikers on the pitch - their bravery was rewarded with a win. It could have all gone horribly wrong of course, but you have to take a gamble to survive sometimes.

Its that word "balance", you need a decent defence, under Hooton we were usually well organised until the other team scored, then in deep trouble, good examples for clubs with emphasis at different end of the pitch, goals win games.