Sign in to follow this  
AidanC

Top 10

Unsure if this has been posted.

Quite surprised with this, I would have thought Johnson to be on it with the season of his life.

http://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/norwich_city_players_snubbed_in_championship_top_10_voting_1_4046188?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

It just shows that we are a team, not a rag bag of players being dragged into a false position by one or two players.

Rather than rubbish opinions that we don''t like, it might be more useful to the Norwich City cause to take them a bit more seriously. This Top 10 is the collective opinion of  Championship managers. Maybe we should look at the list and try to understand the footballing reasons behind it being as it is and why none of our players are on it.

[quote user="TCCANARY"]It just shows that we are a team, not a rag bag of players being dragged into a false position by one or two players. [/quote]So ''Boro, Bournemouth, Watford, Brentford are rag bags of players dragged into a false position by one or two players? Are you serious TC? Maybe what it shows is rather that we lack that extra bit of quality in front of goal which would have converted good chances into goals and points on several occaisons this season.

I think the reason Norwich players aren''t present is due to many other seeing that they are performing as they are expected to - and for a chunk of the season under performing.

Player of the year awards tend to go to players who have over achieved against expectations - and tend to go to forward players who score a lot of goals. Jerome would be the most likely Norwich player to get high in the rankings, but many probably expected him to score even more goals than he has (also he''s been around a while so a bit of a ''boring'' choice compared to the fresh faced Bamford).

At the end of the day, if we achieve our aim of promotion it doesn''t even matter in the slightest how many awards our players have won.

When the likes of Johnson and Hoolahan look back on their careers it''s going to be the promotions and years playing in the Premier League they''ll remember, not individual awards.

[quote user="westcoastcanary"][quote user="TCCANARY"]It just shows that we are a team, not a rag bag of players being dragged into a false position by one or two players. [/quote]

So ''Boro, Bournemouth, Watford, Brentford are rag bags of players dragged into a false position by one or two players? Are you serious TC? Maybe what it shows is rather that we lack that extra bit of quality in front of goal which would have converted good chances into goals and points on several occaisons this season.
[/quote]

Why are you so keen to talk up other teams and belittle our players?

[quote user="TCCANARY"]

[quote user="westcoastcanary"][quote user="TCCANARY"]It just shows that we are a team, not a rag bag of players being dragged into a false position by one or two players. [/quote]So ''Boro, Bournemouth, Watford, Brentford are rag bags of players dragged into a false position by one or two players? Are you serious TC? Maybe what it shows is rather that we lack that extra bit of quality in front of goal which would have converted good chances into goals and points on several occasions this season.[/quote]

Why are you so keen to talk up other teams and belittle our players?[/quote]I''m not belittling our players. I''m questioning your and other posters belittling of other teams and their players. My comment about us needing an extra bit of quality in front of goal is simply repeating what Alex Neil himself said when he spoke of us needing more clinical finishing. What that Top 10 tells us is that, while we may have good strikers, they are not among the best in the Championship this season. Do you dispute that?

[quote user="westcoastcanary"][quote user="TCCANARY"]

[quote user="westcoastcanary"][quote user="TCCANARY"]It just shows that we are a team, not a rag bag of players being dragged into a false position by one or two players. [/quote]

So ''Boro, Bournemouth, Watford, Brentford are rag bags of players dragged into a false position by one or two players? Are you serious TC? Maybe what it shows is rather that we lack that extra bit of quality in front of goal which would have converted good chances into goals and points on several occasions this season.
[/quote]

Why are you so keen to talk up other teams and belittle our players?[/quote]

I''m not belittling our players. I''m questioning your and other posters belittling of other teams and their players. My comment about us needing an extra bit of quality in front of goal is simply repeating what Alex Neil himself said when he spoke of us needing more clinical finishing. What that Top 10 tells us is that, while we may have good strikers, they are not among the best in the Championship this season. Do you dispute that?
[/quote]

"extra bit of quality in front of goal" is not the same as "more clinical finishing" so you''re not repeating what Alex Neil has said.

Whilst others may have some individual strikers who are being lauded we have a great team of attackers, it''s a pity that some of our ''supporters'' just want to criticise them.

Its an assessment by peers and professionals - if thats their opinion then all we can do is discuss.

For me our whole squad has been inconsistent and none have truly sparkled.  Wes & Redmond have sparkled for periods of the season but also had periods of distinct averagedness;   Jerome has found Grabban ahead of him at times.

It is that BJ has been less inconsistent, remains unrelentingly committed and contributed an excellent goal tally that he is our POTS,   but is that enough to be one of the top 10 players in the league?    Despite dropping down a league most of his performance metrics (passing & shooting accuracy,  tackles won,  passes per game, chances created, etc)  remain unchanged or slightly below on his prem seasons with us.   Only with shots per game and goals scoreed has he actually improved.    I am not sure other teams would see him as a top player in the league so his absence is no surprise at all.