Sign in to follow this  
ec-p

ironic - Snodgrass & Fer

Isn''t it ironic that our 2 big name leavers may be relegated this season. Feel for Snoddy as he barely kicked a ball, I can see Fer running from QPR at the first opportunity.

Can wave to them in passing, when we go up!

Feel for Snodgrass, although his CV will show 2 consecutive relegations, it will also show he was injured, Fer on the other hand for his swipe at our club, if we go or up or not, needs to look at where the other 4 fingers are pointing when he points at us !.

[quote user="Lessingham Canary"]Feel for Snodgrass, although his CV will show 2 consecutive relegations, it will also show he was injured, Fer on the other hand for his swipe at our club, if we go or up or not, needs to look at where the other 4 fingers are pointing when he points at us !.[/quote]

It was a shame for Snodgrass and I was really looking forward to seeing how he got on at a different premiership club, having had severe reservations about him at Norwich.  He always deeply influenced things at Norwich - and not always in a good way.  To me he tried to dominate things too much sometimes at the expense of others - and that is something that is not condusive to good team work. 

Fer was injured at a critical time of the season for us and we missed Howson amd Tettey too, making a cohesive midfield difficult - our three best midfielders at that time rarely played togerther at the same time.  Johnson, the main stand in, was not at that stage confident or effective enough in central midfield - and as we have seen this season is more comfortable on the left.  So regardless of his attitude, we didn''t see the best of him.

Things could have been very different with these two players last season, had the situation been different - like if Holt had stayed for instance - but apart from that, I am glad they both left and we got top dollar for them, so best scenario all round imo.

Fer did nothing wrong! I reckon we were more keen to sell him for the £10m than he was to leave to QPR in all honesty.

He didn''t make a song and dance, he spoke about us highly whilst starring in his cameo role with the Dutch at the World Cup where he created NCFC club history and then even played a part in one of our opening games.

I do kind of think it''s a shame we couldn''t keep him but £10m is £10m and he is good enough to play in the premiership.

I would''ve preferred to keep Snodgrass over Fer, his crossing and free kicks could have made the crucial difference.

[quote user="ec-p"]I would''ve preferred to keep Snodgrass over Fer, his crossing and free kicks could have made the crucial difference.[/quote]

Obviously if he wasn''t injured all season!

Not sure on Snodgrass tbh. Yes he''s a good set piece taker but I didn''t like him constantly cutting in. I felt our strikers never really connected with him. Not sure whether it''s the strikers or Snoddy''s fault, but I much prefer direct wingers like Redmond

No doubt in my mind that with a fit Snoddy and Fer in addition to what we have now, we would already be celebrating automatic promotion......two excellent players.

[quote user="lake district canary"]It was a shame for Snodgrass and I was really looking forward to seeing how he got on at a different premiership club, having had severe reservations about him at Norwich.  He always deeply influenced things at Norwich - and not always in a good way.  To me he tried to dominate things too much sometimes at the expense of others - and that is something that is not condusive to good team work.[/quote]I really must take issue with these comments Lakey. Your continued support for the ultra-negative Chris Hughton and your disdain for Robert Snodgrass made no sense at the time and makes no sense now. The way Hughton committed players to defend meant Snoddy was always the player the team turned to to relieve the pressure and invariably he was always surrounded by two or three opponents. Hughton''s reluctance to drive men forwards meant that when Snoddy did get free and cross the ball, there was usually only one striker to aim for who again, was surrounded by defenders so attack after attack broke down. Where you saw a selfish player, I saw a hardworking, talented guy who always wanted to be in the thick of things and never hid. An exciting attacking player in a dour and boring team.We can never know but I believe if we still had Snoddy and his set pieces, we would be safely entombed at the top of the league by now. Alex Neil would have loved him......

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="lake district canary"]It was a shame for Snodgrass and I was really looking forward to seeing how he got on at a different premiership club, having had severe reservations about him at Norwich.  He always deeply influenced things at Norwich - and not always in a good way.  To me he tried to dominate things too much sometimes at the expense of others - and that is something that is not condusive to good team work.[/quote]I really must take issue with these comments Lakey. Your continued support for the ultra-negative Chris Hughton and your disdain for Robert Snodgrass made no sense at the time and makes no sense now. The way Hughton committed players to defend meant Snoddy was always the player the team turned to to relieve the pressure and invariably he was always surrounded by two or three opponents. Hughton''s reluctance to drive men forwards meant that when Snoddy did get free and cross the ball, there was usually only one striker to aim for who again, was surrounded by defenders so attack after attack broke down. Where you saw a selfish player, I saw a hardworking, talented guy who always wanted to be in the thick of things and never hid. An exciting attacking player in a dour and boring team.We can never know but I believe if we still had Snoddy and his set pieces, we would be safely entombed at the top of the league by now. Alex Neil would have loved him......[/quote]

We''ve discussed this many times and there are obviously different view points on the whole Hughton/Snodgrass issue. For me the whole era was like watching a disaster movie - almost from day one of Hughton''s reign, where the dreaded "negativity" word crept in straight away. It was almost as if we got what we expected to get. If people - players and fans - hadn''t been so euphoric over the Lambert era and the squad so used to his approach, Hughton might have stood a better chance of instilling his way of doing things more successfully - say if Hughton had followed Roeder for instance - people might have been grateful for someone to instill some shape and meaning to things. It still wouldn''t have been that pretty, but might have been effective and maybe in the longer term successful. If he stays at Brighton morer than two years, we shall see how he develops.  But I have many times accepted his faults as well as what I see as his good points, something people seem to forget.  

As for Snodgrass, My views are still the same - some brilliant play, but a lot of effort, huff and puff, wasted by constantly failing to deliver an early ball in an effort to get a shot in himself.....or fall over.  That is why I want to see him at another prem club under a different manager to see if I am right.......     Would AN get the best out of him? Probably, because AN wouldn''t stand for any selfish dribbling in to dead ends all the time and would knock him into shape for the sake of the team.  There we can probably agree about Hughton - being a little weak in dealing with the players.   AN would not be weak, in fact, quite the opposite.

Personally I believe Hughtons negative tactics created a lot of issues with the players, who were doing as they were told but not buying into his game plan, that rubbed of on Snodgrass who used to wear his heart on his sleeve, resulting in him moaning at other players, and of course that famous incident with fans. Also I used to get frustrated with Howson and Johnson, they could run with the ball, but had to get rid of it once they hit the halfway line, it was like they got an electric shock if they were to cross that line, Hence our strikers were left isolated on tpoo many occasions.

Fer lost interest easily in games, and getting £10m was great business, his comments since said it all, for me anyway, and I hate going against players past or present.

[quote user="lake district canary"]As for Snodgrass, My views are still the same - some brilliant play, but a lot of effort, huff and puff, wasted by constantly failing to deliver an early ball in an effort to get a shot in himself.....or fall over.[/quote]You''re entitled to your opinion of course Lakey but I still think you share the same tunnel vision with fans who look for every time Bradley or Wes make a poor pass, Whits is skinned by a winger, Ruddy fumbles a ball or Bassong is too casual. They then turn to their mates and say "I told yer". They tend to ignore all the good things these players do.And who exactly was Snoddy intended to get the early ball in to? There was never anyone up there.

Snoddy was undoubtedly a talented winger who was hampered by the system of play he was ordered to perform, and it was easy to highlight some of his issues because we spent 70% of the games focusing our entire play through the guy!In RvW we had a striker that was NEVER going to want early balls whipped in, yet could have thrived on the sort of play that Snoddy was capable of, by playing clever balls past the defence for him to run unto - we instead gave him f**k all ammunition and then wrote him off as useless...Johnson has shown this season that he''s FAR better when played on the left instead of the holding role that Hughton focused him into (and which clearly highlighted his erratic passing from central areas) and Howson also looks a million times better when given more leeway to keep things ticking over.If we''d kept Snoddy we''d have had him and Redmond this season with the option to play 2 proper wingers in more of a 4-3-3 formation where wanted/needed.I also think Fer was a damn good player for his age, and whilst I agree that at times he may have appeared disinterested, with the shockingly poor brand of football that Hughton wanted to play, I can''t blame him in some ways (I was just as disinterested in watching us play like cr@p under CH)!

Both good players, and did their best for us. No problem with either of them.

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="lake district canary"]As for Snodgrass, My views are still the same - some brilliant play, but a lot of effort, huff and puff, wasted by constantly failing to deliver an early ball in an effort to get a shot in himself.....or fall over.[/quote]You''re entitled to your opinion of course Lakey but I still think you share the same tunnel vision with fans who look for every time Bradley or Wes make a poor pass, Whits is skinned by a winger, Ruddy fumbles a ball or Bassong is too casual. They then turn to their mates and say "I told yer". They tend to ignore all the good things these players do.And who exactly was Snoddy intended to get the early ball in to? There was never anyone up there.[/quote]There is nothing wrong with criticising players as I have done with Wes and Johnson in the past - with justification. It is never completely black or white with me and am always happy to see players develop and improve - and to their eternal credit Wes and Johnson have developed and improved overall.   Snodgrass is one that used to drive me mad with his predictability.  You knew exactly what he was going to do when he got the ball - and often it led nowhere. And its just not true there were no runners to cross to.  There were numerous occasions when forwards made a run, had to check back, the defenders get back and the chance for an early ball had gone. Snodgrass gave the impression to me that he thought he was the main man - but didn''t have the overall game to back that up. Yes he scored, yes he had heart, but also, yes he ran into dead ends time after time after time, failing to provide chances for others.  Everything good or bad seemed to go through him.  That epitomised our season for me - and it was one of Hughton''s faults imo that he wasn''t strong enough to deal with issues like that. And why Snodgrass thought he could take that penalty instead of RVW, I''ll never know. It just summed him up for me.

I''m really not sure why this is supposedly "ironic".
Both players have no doubt increased their salaries, or are at least being paid the same for a PL wage, more than the reduction our players took when we got relegated.
At £10k a week minimum, I would imagine, that''s a tasty half-million for pretty much f*ck all. Especially in Snoddy''s case, which is a shame as I think he''d have proved a few of his critics wrong had he stayed fit.
So if it is ironic, it''s ironic in the same way that Alanis Morrissette''s "Ironic" is ironic, i.e. not ironic.
Trust that is clear.

I think there is a possibility that Lakey is the Executive Director of the Chris Hughton National Fan Club. Repetitively ad nauseam looking for a way to deflect criticism from the "Hughton approach", always looking for an opportunity to insert Chris Hughton''s name into a discussion, here is Lakey once again up to his old tricks. He wanted Chris Hughton to have a third year at Norwich and now, by God, he starts waxing eloquent about what he may achieve if he STAYS more than of two years at Brighton. Lakey, have you taken a look at what Brighton have yielded in points since Hughton arrived. It''s barely more than a point a game. Does that sound familiar? At the moment, Brighton are going backwards having obtained a single point out of the last 15 on offer. If it wasn''t for the sad efforts of the bottom three then Brighton would surely be in a battle to survive given that they face two top teams to finish out the season. If his first few months next season start out in a similar fashion I would be genuinely surprised if his Brighton stay reaches twelve months, never mind longer than two years. Perhaps you should start scouting around for more opportunities for him at a lower level Lakey.  

Fer was grossly over rated. £10m was money in the bank for a player worth closer to £2m.

This.

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]I think there is a possibility that Lakey is the Executive Director of the Chris Hughton National Fan Club. Repetitively ad nauseam looking for a way to deflect criticism from the "Hughton approach", always looking for an opportunity to insert Chris Hughton''s name into a discussion, here is Lakey once again up to his old tricks. He wanted Chris Hughton to have a third year at Norwich and now, by God, he starts waxing eloquent about what he may achieve if he STAYS more than of two years at Brighton. Lakey, have you taken a look at what Brighton have yielded in points since Hughton arrived. It''s barely more than a point a game. Does that sound familiar? At the moment, Brighton are going backwards having obtained a single point out of the last 15 on offer. If it wasn''t for the sad efforts of the bottom three then Brighton would surely be in a battle to survive given that they face two top teams to finish out the season. If his first few months next season start out in a similar fashion I would be genuinely surprised if his Brighton stay reaches twelve months, never mind longer than two years. Perhaps you should start scouting around for more opportunities for him at a lower level Lakey.  [/quote]

Nice little speech yankee, except for one thing.  I didn''t bring Hughton into the conversation. Lappinitup did.Try again another day, won''t you.

Read what I wrote Lakey....not what you think I wrote. I didn''t say "you brought him into the discussion", I said you are , "Repetitively ad nauseam looking for a way to deflect criticism from the "Hughton approach", always looking for an opportunity to insert Chris Hughton''s name into a discussion".   You found another opportunity ( the suspicious part of me suspects you created it ) and embellished it by talking about what Hughton may achieve at Brighton if he stays more than two seasons. The essence of what I stated was understandably ignored by you.

[quote user="YankeeCanary"] Read what I wrote Lakey....not what you think I wrote. I didn''t say "you brought him into the discussion", I said you are , "Repetitively ad nauseam looking for a way to deflect criticism from the "Hughton approach", always looking for an opportunity to insert Chris Hughton''s name into a discussion".   You found another opportunity ( the suspicious part of me suspects you created it ) and embellished it by talking about what Hughton may achieve at Brighton if he stays more than two seasons. The essence of what I stated was understandably ignored by you.[/quote][:D] Misunderstood you, did I?  Oh well, I guess the English language is slightly different over there.  The only reason I started talking about Hughton is because Lappinitup brought his name into it, but you have it your own way.  The reasons for Snodgrass''s performances last season and the criticism he used to get - not just from me - is part of a wider debate and obviously Hughton is part of that debate. If you want to make it personal, that''s fine, but you''re wasting your time trying to devalue what I say, because frankly, I don''t care what you think, mainly because your chief aim is to portary me in a negative light.  Your trying to highlight my references to Hughton as part of something else is frankly pathetic. Play the post not the poster.

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="YankeeCanary"] Read what I wrote Lakey....not what you think I wrote. I didn''t say "you brought him into the discussion", I said you are , "Repetitively ad nauseam looking for a way to deflect criticism from the "Hughton approach", always looking for an opportunity to insert Chris Hughton''s name into a discussion".   You found another opportunity ( the suspicious part of me suspects you created it ) and embellished it by talking about what Hughton may achieve at Brighton if he stays more than two seasons. The essence of what I stated was understandably ignored by you.[/quote]

[:D] Misunderstood you, did I?  Oh well, I guess the English language is slightly different over there.  The only reason I started talking about Hughton is because Lappinitup brought his name into it, but you have it your own way.  The reasons for Snodgrass''s performances last season and the criticism he used to get - not just from me - is part of a wider debate and obviously Hughton is part of that debate. If you want to make it personal, that''s fine, but you''re wasting your time trying to devalue what I say, because frankly, I don''t care what you think, mainly because your chief aim is to portary me in a negative light.  Your trying to highlight my references to Hughton as part of something else is frankly pathetic. Play the post not the poster.

[/quote]

Lakey, there is no need for others to devalue your input. You do that on your own without help from anyone. The OP made a comment ( in a completely different context to what you turned it into ) and you, and you alone, took that comment and broadened into a comment about six different players and how that might have made it different for Norwich last season. Nobody else did that but you. Your motives are as transparent as a window freshly cleaned. That''s why Lapp reacted. Incidentally, if you believe yourself a model of someone who plays the post and not the poster then have a stab at the point I made, namely, "At the moment, Brighton are going backwards having obtained a single point out of the last 15 on offer. If it wasn''t for the sad efforts of the bottom three then Brighton would surely be in a battle to survive given that they face two top teams to finish out the season. If his first few months next season start out in a similar fashion I would be genuinely surprised if his Brighton stay reaches twelve months, never mind longer than two years."

P.S: Lakey, speaking of not playing the poster, now that my turn for selections is over, will you be coming back to participate on Ray''s Funds this week? [:D]

Wouldn''t worry about it at all.

What was it £8 million for snoddy and close to £10 million for fer?

Brilliant business for championship bound players

I was disappointed when Snoddy went, he had more passion for Norwich in the little finger than Fer had and I''d happily have Snoddy back if we went up and Hull got relegated.

As for Fer, well for me when it looked obvious we were going to struggle to retain our place in the PL he went missing or got ''injured'', in other words couldn''t be bothered to do his job properly as didn''t want to get injured so he missed out on the World Cup of get the move he wanted. Fair play to McNally for getting that much for him.

One of the Nationals summed him up for me in a write up before he got injured, think they gave him 2 or 3 out of 10 and said the most commitment he showed to the QPR performance was to get embroiled in an argument with the fans.

Yes I''m sure there are many players out there like that at other clubs but for me, he showed what he was he was all about and it wasn''t NCFC.