Sign in to follow this  
ec-p

Rotherham deducted 3 points breaking news

Rotherham have officially been deducted 3 points. Tense game tomorrow then!

[quote user="ec-p"]Rotherham have officially been deducted 3 points. Tense game tomorrow then![/quote]

They will be tense but we won''t be as we have settled for the play-offs barring a miracle, so that works to our advantage IMO.

I fear that they might still ''park the bus'' as a point will still be v good for them and then target their next home game on Tuesday v Reading as the win they need to stay up.

i dont think it makes any difference. werent like they were safe already. they wana beat us no matter what just like we do.

[quote user="stoke canary"]Bit late but why weren''t Sunderland docked points last season ?? Ineligible player played 4 league games !! Stinks !![/quote]something i suspect Rotherham''s Lawyers are hastily putting in a legal document against the football league/FA?

It certainly puts a slightly different complexion on the game tomorrow, but I''d imagine we will still do the same things as we would have anyway with a playoff place guaranteed.

The team that this will concern more is Derby , who are as yet assured of a playoff place,who''s trip to Millwall tomorrow will now become all the more difficult.

[quote user="Bradley Johnsons left foot"]A "sense of injustice" may drive them on against us. I do agree with the above that them coming at us trying to go for the win will play into our hands.[/quote]

That was my immediate reaction - it will get them totally fired up.  But as you say, probably not a bad thing if it gets them to come on at us and not park the bus.

On our side, yes we clearly need to go for the win but the pressure is off to an extent because it''s out of our hands, and we''d need two of the teams above  us to mess up to even have a chance of auto promotion.  By no means impossible but unlikely.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="stoke canary"]Bit late but why weren''t Sunderland docked points last season ?? Ineligible player played 4 league games !! Stinks !![/quote]something i suspect Rotherham''s Lawyers are hastily putting in a legal document against the football league/FA?[/quote]

They can also ask why QPR were not deducted points over playing an illegal player for a whole season !!

[quote user="Wes Hooly Fan"]We haven''t settled for the play-offs[/quote]

It''s out of our hands so we can relax and play.

Makes no difference. If we have ambitions about playing in the PL next season we certainly have to go and beat weaker Champs teams like this - regardless of the situation. If we don''t win when it matters, we don''t deserve promotion IMO.

Agreed, I point back to that loss against Wigan at home. No offence to Wigan, but we should be beating sides like that at home and indeed beating them well.

The Premier League and the Football League operate separately when it comes to dishing out disciplinary action.Therefore any arguments would have to be Football League based.

Ridiculous situation in the middle of a season imo. If there was to be any points deduction it should be for next season, not create new mentalities and situations in the heat of an end of season battle at both ends of the table this season.  There is no time to appeal either, or make representations this season, so all that happens is that no-one is ceratin of the outcome, because the legal wrangling will go on after the end of the season.

We want Rotherham coming at us and making it an open game, that will create the space in which our counter-attacking will flourish. This is good news for us IMO.

[quote user="Bor Bor Bor"]We want Rotherham coming at us and making it an open game, that will create the space in which our counter-attacking will flourish. This is good news for us IMO.[/quote]I''m not sure I agree.At this point, if we are talking about preference, I would rather a team that is already dead and buried or a team who have nothing left to play for.Primarily because our desire to win would be much stronger. Against a team like Rotherham, as others have said, they will not want to be beaten. If at half time Wigan and Millwall are being beaten by a comfortable margin, they know a draw would mean that they would have to lose on the last day of the season and Millwall to win for things to go bad.They''ll set up to try and nick one against us. To go all out would be suicide for them. I also think they will have watched the Middlesborough game and seen that in the face of a well organised defense, we struggled to make many clear cut chances.Like I say, I would rather we were playing a team that is just bellow mid table with nothing left to play for, with some of their players already thinking about their next career move, or their summer holidays and spending more time with family, or generally just taking their foot off the gas a little bit with the knowledge that there is very little they have left to prove this season and a hard, rigorous pre season is there waiting for them so they may as well just take it a bit easier now.

A team with nothing to play for like Sheffield Wednesday who had nothing to play for last saturday vs Bournemouth.

Its easy to read far too much into different scenarios.

"Ridiculous situation in the middle of a season imo."

Not really though, Lakey. Rotherham benefitted from the 3 points this season, why would you deduct the points next season when it might mean they stay up this season, profiting from their failure to follow basic rules?

Surely it is only fair that the points are taken away in the same season that the points were "wrongly" accumulated?

[quote user="Bor Bor Bor"]"Ridiculous situation in the middle of a season imo." Not really though, Lakey. Rotherham benefitted from the 3 points this season, why would you deduct the points next season when it might mean they stay up this season, profiting from their failure to follow basic rules? Surely it is only fair that the points are taken away in the same season that the points were "wrongly" accumulated?[/quote]

Yes, you''re right.  But if the anomaly had been found out after the season had finished, I wonder if they would still have made the three points deduction retrospective, or even a fine as in the QPR case.    Or is it a case of the haves, have it and the have nots get sh*t upon...........QPR got the biggest prize of all whilst fielding an ineligible player, in promotion to the premier league.  Rotherham, could be getting the opposite treatment and end up with relegation to League 1.

[quote user="lake district canary"]

[quote user="Bor Bor Bor"]"Ridiculous situation in the middle of a season imo." Not really though, Lakey. Rotherham benefitted from the 3 points this season, why would you deduct the points next season when it might mean they stay up this season, profiting from their failure to follow basic rules? Surely it is only fair that the points are taken away in the same season that the points were "wrongly" accumulated?[/quote]

Yes, you''re right.  But if the anomaly had been found out after the season had finished, I wonder if they would still have made the three points deduction retrospective, or even a fine as in the QPR case.    Or is it a case of the haves, have it and the have nots get sh*t upon...........QPR got the biggest prize of all whilst fielding an ineligible player, in promotion to the premier league.  Rotherham, could be getting the opposite treatment and end up with relegation to League 1.

[/quote]ldc, that QPR should have been docked points hardly means other clubs should also be let off. I went into this a bit on the pre-verdict thread, but it seemed - and apparently indeed was - an open and shut case.All Rotherham had to do was count off 28 days from the start of the loan period to realise this player was ineligible for the game in question. So there was no valid excuse for not realising that. And the player lasted the whole of a 1-0 win against relegation rivals. If you are not going to dock points for something so clearcut then you never will.