Sign in to follow this  
XXL16

Charlie in midfield

I cannot see pre-season game but from the report, sounds liked Simon Charlton did a good job there, with the current situation as Jarrett just back from injury, Hughes and Safri still struggle at fitness, also Damien Francis "uncertain" future in Norwich, we need Simon Charlton to play in our midfield.

Personally at first I think Nigel play Simon on the central of midfield is only emergency, or liked what Gary Holt''s role in the club before: when Nigel ask who want going to play the right back sport, Gary Holt said YES and he will try -- a versatile player in this football club. Of course from last season at the St. Mary''s Stadium, Simon did come on for Hucks and play wide left in midfield, did not disappoint anyone with a quite solid performance, just unlucky not to score that bullet header.

But when Damien Francis situation going from bad to worst, I would think the reason Nigel want to play Simon in midfield, it simply told Damo, "Hay, stay the club or go away, we have player who is not playing midfield but still can replace you by any minute, even if you are our top scorer last season!"

Nigel did not disappoint himself, because if Jarrett was the man to replace Damo as attacking midfielder, then Charlton, possibly replace Gary Holt as the defensive midfielder! Also you know how tough was a player liked Charlie was, passing, hit long balls and he can tackle -- remember I said even Thierry Henry cannot get pass the little man!

Good play Nigel, also great play Charlie, it would be superb to make more competition of places in a small squad.

Hi silver fox, you are right! I didn''t have a chance to see what Charlie performed against Southend, Colchester and Inter, but just believe the judgement of a manager who bring us from First Division to the Premiership! Nigel should see the better side of Charlie in our midfield.

I wouldn''t say Holt played very poor last season, but perhaps he really did not make our midfield looked aggressive -- I believe this is what Charlie can do it very well, because he spent many time in his career to play defender, surely he knew when he had to stop the midfield or forward to go by making fouls. Honestly we can accept bookings, not sending off.

With Damien now gone, Jarrett will officially replaced him as the attacking midfielder, and perhaps if Safri is fit, he can replace Charlie, or also Safri had to play in WC qualifier that means he need to be away from us for some time, we need midfield cover and hopefully Charlie can do the job for us!

I just have feeling about we have made another new signing in midfield!!!

IMO Charlie has never had a bad game for NCFC. He lacked height in a central defence role, but was superb at LB.

Worthy - give him a regular place. He has loads of experience and controls/motivates other team members.

He gave Damo a huge hug before he came on against Inter. He just seems like a very fair bloke, who is totally committed and a very talented hard working professional.

Wow - I never realised this but I think I''m a Charlie fan.

"Wow I never realised this but I think I''m a Charlie fan."

When we signed him you would not believe how many Southampton fans told me what a good solid player he is"

I think he has proved that and could have a big part to play for us this year.

Mark .Y.

This is all very true!! Simon Charlton has been amazing for us. I can''t think of any bad games last year... and when he was put left midfield against Southampton last year there was a few eyebrows raised, but he played really well, and nearly scored!

Against Inter he was centre midfield and again, me and my mate thought he was brilliant. Good passer, good positioning, solid tackle, good organisation. He is going to be a very important player for us this year... whenever he will be called upon.

We even started signing... (to the transformers theme tune) "Transformers, Charlton in disguise!!"..............terrible I know

I actually posted about this yesterday, and divulged our Transformers song, son, but it doesn''t appear to be here! May have been on another thread, though, I lose track...

Charlie was great in midfield, it was bizarre and unexpected! He will be a valuable asset in this league this year - obviously not a long-term prospect due to his age, but with his new-found ability to play just about anywhere (well, a lot of positions anyway!), we''ve got something to get excited about again!

Charlton did a fantasic job against inter, His touch was good, and even moving up front he was making positive runs.(also watching him dive into the net was quite funny). At the moment it is surely the right thing to do to stick him in midfield.

A messageboard that countless times gets on Worthys back for playing players out of position now wants him to play a left back in midfield , we need at least one more midfielder when Francis goes lets just buy one and stop all this mix and match stuff . Charlton should be in the side in my opinion and was treated badly last season when he did little wrong, play him at left back or give him a chance in the middle with Shackle (anybodys better than Fleming) but leave the midfield to midfielders.

[quote]A messageboard that countless times gets on Worthys back for playing players out of position now wants him to play a left back in midfield , we need at least one more midfielder when Francis goes lets...[/quote]

There''s nowt wrong with "converting" players... don''t forget that the one and only Thierry Henry was a midfielder until Wenger got hold of him, and Fergie is now moudling Alan Smith into the next Roy Keane...

I was very impressed with Charlton against Inter. He controlled the midfield well with Jarrett - passed it around well, was quick and committed in the tackle and looked like he was happy to shoot when he got the chance! I hope Charlie gets a regular spot this year because he would be quality in the Champ!

Yes Charlie did play well against Inter but he isn''t a central midfielder and should not be put there unless in an absolute emergency - remember the disaster of Doherty being tried out as a striker after a couple of fair run-outs? I think Charlie should be picked ahead of Drury who still seems very hesitant in going forward which leaves the large gap between himself & Hucks that Charlie referred to.

[quote]Yes Charlie did play well against Inter but he isn''t a central midfielder and should not be put there unless in an absolute emergency - remember the disaster of Doherty being tried out as a striker af...[/quote]

Utter bobbins, breaker... Donkerty has played for both Spurs and Ireland as a striker, and has even managed to score a few goals... Worthy bought him as a centre-back, but gave him a go up front... it wasn''t Worthy''s fault the man is seemingly talentless...

I''ll be honest and say i thought Charlie was superb in midfield -- I remember one interception where he read the ball superbly well and stopped a pass at point blank range. The guy would be an excellent player to bring on if, say, we were 3-1 up away from home () to sure up the midfield, without a doubt.I think the way the full backs were overlapping against Inter looked quite classy, and Drury seemed less inhibited knowing that Charlton would drop back and cover him. I would say we were the better team for periods of the second half, although I''m sure Inter could have stepped it up if neccessary.The one thing we are still lacking is a decent ball into the box! Whilst LJ and Colin were quick, the balls just weren''t good enough -- although this is against Inter''s defence of course!With Marney in midfield, and Jarrett (who looked excellent too) I think we have a stronger team than last season without a shadow of a doubt. In fact, I might get slated, but I thought Doherty was ok in the centre of defence too! He''s not a quick/skillful player, but he is strong and reads the game very well. Even his clearences seemed less hurried than last season.Finally (long post I know), but did anyone see that Green''s increased "communication" (read shouting) had a very positive effect on removing the panic from our defending?! Bring on Coventry!Ian

[quote]"Wow I never realised this but I think I''m a Charlie fan." When we signed him you would not believe how many Southampton fans told me what a good solid player he is" I think he has proved that and c...[/quote]

Hi Mark .Y., I think not only Southampton fans, Bolton fans also will praise about Charlies'' performance too, how solid he was and he was the few Englishman who can break into the Bolton''s multi-international squad.

[quote]IMO Charlie has never had a bad game for NCFC. He lacked height in a central defence role, but was superb at LB. Worthy - give him a regular place. He has loads of experience and controls/motivates ...[/quote]

Hi Cheeky Monkey, I agree Charlie was lack of height at central defence, but the problem was Nigel must use Fleming as one of his center half, so that''s why Simon Charlton cannot break into the first team.

I think if Charlton-Shackell''s combination would be excellent!

Good point about Greeno, I Canary, I mentioned to Jamie early on, after a few crosses and corners, etc, that Greeno seemed to have a better command of his box, probably the only thing previously stopping him from progressing further...

Flem seemed his normal self, though - losing the ball, then shouting at everyone else for it!

[quote]This is all very true!! Simon Charlton has been amazing for us. I can''t think of any bad games last year... and when he was put left midfield against Southampton last year there was a few eyebrows rai...[/quote]

Hi Jamie Wright, I watched the Southampton game on TV in Hong Kong, honestly Charlton did a very good job on that game, of course you cannot expect he made runs liked Hucks on the left, but liked you said he passed the ball well and never afraid to make hard tackles, also knew how to make fouls to slow down the opposite attack, someone said before when he was in the team, Adam Drury will have more desire to overlap because he knew someone who can cover his position, we knew how well can Adam made a good cross and surely it was important for Thorne and Deano to benefit this season.

[quote]Charlton did a fantasic job against inter, His touch was good, and even moving up front he was making positive runs.(also watching him dive into the net was quite funny). At the moment it is surely th...[/quote]

Hi Gamera, what''s about Charlton "diving to the net was quite funny"? Can you describe it a bit details? Or just for fun.....

[quote]I actually posted about this yesterday, and divulged our Transformers song, son, but it doesn''t appear to be here! May have been on another thread, though, I lose track... Charlie was great in midfie...[/quote]

Hello Evil Monkey, do you have the song of the "transformer"? Maybe I need to build it up!!!