Sign in to follow this  
Dean Coneys boots

Not feeling confident

Promotion is obviously gained and lost over a season. But for me the first 20 minutes against Middlesborough were telling. They came at us with confidence and hunger and we, for all our obvious skill, choked. The players looked like rabbits trapped in headlights until the goal went in and it was all too little and too late...

My point being that we had moments to grab it and didnt take them. Rotherham also springs to mind. So whilst I think we have the best team in the playoffs I am not certain we have the strongest mental unit. And that could be defining. Still- I prefer the champ!

It''s easy to blame it on the Middlesbrough game but we lost far to many game earlier on the season to teams that offered nothing. Seriously how did we lose at home to Wigan???

Bournemouth fully deserve their promotion to the PL, they have played attacking attractive CONSISTENT football all season, we got to #1 in the league and took our foot off the pedal.

I don''t think we''ll get promoted via the playoffs, my gut isn''t confident. Ipswich are long overdue a victory against us, We''ve already lost twice to dirty cheating Middlesbrough and Derby are a team of talented players who I thought pre-season would be challenging for the title - with Chris Martin back - I fear them.

I realise this is negative and most will slate my feeling and opinion - but we''ll see come May 25th.

Yes cannot blame it on the Boro game our home form has been pretty dire all season Birmingham 2-2Charlton 0-1Rotherham 1-1Leeds 1-1Brighton 3-3Reading 1-2Brentford 1-2Wigan 0-1Derby 1-1Boro 0-1With home form like that its pretty much miraculous we even made it to the lottery of the play offs . Three of the four slip ups with Alex Neil in charge were at least against top six rivals. Neil Adams really was a woeful choice by the Board and its his time in charge that has cost us this season . All so obvious from the moment he was appointed and all so avoidable , we should be a top flight side again by now but now most likely we have to try again next season .

Some of you/us need to ''man up'' and have some trust in our manager/players. If the players have as little faith as some on here, we might as well not bother.

All supporters will have doubts, but we''ve shown we''re good enough to beat the top 2 so I would fancy us in a one-off game against anyone in this league, particularly with AN at the helm. IMO we could do with a good performance at the weekend to take into the play-offs and show we mean business.

Whatever happens, this season has been far better than the last two, it is almost a shame that the PL is where you ''have'' to be as you fight tooth and nail to be somewhere that is rather, in all honesty, a bit too predictable.

[quote user="CanaryOne"]we should be a top flight side again by now but now most likely we have to try again next season.[/quote]Would you care to explain why? Other than rank defeatism?You think anyone, other than Boro, is looking forward to facing us? And I reckon Mr Neil might have a solution to that little fly in the ointment should we both make it to Wembley.Seriously, I have to wonder about some of you defeatist ''supporters''!

I think the form book and largely what has happened in the season goes out of the window in the playoffs... That sort of the reason why I dread what could happen with an Ipswich fixture.

But there is another side to that, we''ve been strong against the better teams and aside from Middlesbrough no one else in the current top 6 has taken the full 6 points... In fact, if we matched any of our previous results against the other teams we would make it to the final, though I''m assuming away goals count in the case of Derby.

We also have to look at how strong we have been away from home, an incredible record under Neil and one that will hopefully be carried on with Tetty coming back into the fold. If we are able to pinch a win or draw in the away leg I''d fancy us to be able to ride the momentum into Carrow road against any of the sides:

Ipswich: we battered them, should have been 3 and they never really created a stand out chance after Sears 1v1 over the 90 minutes, I think they would be depending on trying to get something a Portman road if they get us.

Derby: we literally dropped the ball in the net for them, on another day Jermoe and Bassong could have made it 2 or even 3-1 if they had been on target.

Brentford: we had an off day with a heavily depleted midfield... Yet we''re still unlucky not to draw, we certainly owe them one for that

Middlesbrough: we know there game, they would try and come on hard and fast for the first 10 and use their size to force something and then shut up shop, but again but for a poor goal and Howson missing a guilt edge header that game should really have been at least a 0-0

One thing we do have that others don''t is probably the strongest bench in the league, especially if we make it to the final and Grabban returns. Hooper has done enough now for me to warrant a start, let''s see if he can be the man to step up and show us why we paid 6 million for him!

[quote user="Andy Larkin"][quote user="CanaryOne"]we should be a top flight side again by now but now most likely we have to try again next season.[/quote]Would you care to explain why? Other than rank defeatism?You think anyone, other than Boro, is looking forward to facing us? And I reckon Mr Neil might have a solution to that little fly in the ointment should we both make it to Wembley.Seriously, I have to wonder about some of you defeatist ''supporters''![/quote]If only the best team always won the play offs (then that may be Boro as they have beaten us twice) . Did you watch last seasons play off final ? Derby played QPR of the park for almost the whole 90 mins QPR went down to 10 men nicked a last minute goal and got promoted . The play offs are a 1 in 4 lottery .

Andy Larkin: You think anyone, other than Boro, is looking forward to facing us?
I imagine Ipswich will be, they''ll be looking for revenge.

[quote user="Ginja"]Andy Larkin: You think anyone, other than Boro, is looking forward to facing us?
I imagine Ipswich will be, they''ll be looking for revenge.
[/quote]
Strangely enough, I don''t think Ipswich would be looking forward to facing us. In fact, most of their supporters online have said since we done the double over them (again) that they wouldn''t want to face us in play-offs.

Our players have the skill but not the mental strength to succeed in the playoffs.

The squad will have to be broken up and rebuilt if we are to suceed next season.

Ipswich fans I know say they''d fancy a one-off nothing to lose final but reckon we''d beat them over 2 legs. Wouldn''t fancy our chances against Boro 2 legs or 1.

Some of you worry warts that are afraid to face Ipswich are a trifle premature. Ipswich fans know they will have their work cut out to get a point at Blackburn and, if they don''t, Brentford ( and possibly even Wolves with a good score ) will be looking to replace them.

[quote user="CanaryOne"][quote user="Andy Larkin"][quote user="CanaryOne"]we should be a top flight side again by now but now most likely we have to try again next season.[/quote]Would you care to explain why? Other than rank defeatism?You think anyone, other than Boro, is looking forward to facing us? And I reckon Mr Neil might have a solution to that little fly in the ointment should we both make it to Wembley.Seriously, I have to wonder about some of you defeatist ''supporters''![/quote]If only the best team always won the play offs (then that may be Boro as they have beaten us twice) . Did you watch last seasons play off final ? Derby played QPR of the park for almost the whole 90 mins QPR went down to 10 men nicked a last minute goal and got promoted . The play offs are a 1 in 4 lottery .[/quote]All well and good… it doesn''t explain ''why it is now most likely we have to try again next season'' though… does it?

[quote user="Andy Larkin"][quote user="CanaryOne"][quote user="Andy Larkin"][quote user="CanaryOne"]we should be a top flight side again by now but now most likely we have to try again next season.[/quote]Would you care to explain why? Other than rank defeatism?You think anyone, other than Boro, is looking forward to facing us? And I reckon Mr Neil might have a solution to that little fly in the ointment should we both make it to Wembley.Seriously, I have to wonder about some of you defeatist ''supporters''![/quote]If only the best team always won the play offs (then that may be Boro as they have beaten us twice) . Did you watch last seasons play off final ? Derby played QPR of the park for almost the whole 90 mins QPR went down to 10 men nicked a last minute goal and got promoted . The play offs are a 1 in 4 lottery .[/quote]All well and good… it doesn''t explain ''why it is now most likely we have to try again next season'' though… does it?

[/quote]Its quite simple theres only a 1 in 4 chance in the play offs so its more than likely we will be in this league again next season . Add to that the play offs are basically cup football and we do not excel at that do we .

[quote user="CanaryOne"][quote user="Andy Larkin"][quote user="CanaryOne"][quote user="Andy Larkin"][quote user="CanaryOne"]we should be a top flight side again by now but now most likely we have to try again next season.[/quote]Would you care to explain why? Other than rank defeatism?You think anyone, other than Boro, is looking forward to facing us? And I reckon Mr Neil might have a solution to that little fly in the ointment should we both make it to Wembley.Seriously, I have to wonder about some of you defeatist ''supporters''![/quote]If only the best team always won the play offs (then that may be Boro as they have beaten us twice) . Did you watch last seasons play off final ? Derby played QPR of the park for almost the whole 90 mins QPR went down to 10 men nicked a last minute goal and got promoted . The play offs are a 1 in 4 lottery .[/quote]All well and good… it doesn''t explain ''why it is now most likely we have to try again next season'' though… does it?

[/quote]Its quite simple theres only a 1 in 4 chance in the play offs so its more than likely we will be in this league again next season . Add to that the play offs are basically cup football and we do not excel at that do we .[/quote]Or you could turn your pessimism into optimism and say that we have just as good a chance as the others… and save the negativity until the end of the second leg at our place.

I am starting to wonder about this squads mental strength - when it comes to must win games we could not do so against Fulham away last season, wigan home, boro home or rotherham away when it was needed. While the manager has the balls it seems we may not be able to stand up when it matters most.

As it has been all season, this squad is good enough to gain promotion and its in their hands - but will they turn up and claim it?

Can''t see us winning the playoffs. Like others have said our players tend to choke when it really counts. Got a feeling this is Derby''s year. Their team is filled with quality and the way they have come back in the last couple of games and gained valuable points to me suggests destiny may finally be on their side after narrowly missing out the last few seasons. Why people want to avoid Ipswich i have no idea. They have the worst squad in the top 8, McCarthy is peforming miracles but we would beat them comfortably over two legs.

I hope all you ''I can''t see us winning'' whingers will offer any tickets you''re due to people who aren''t quite as fickle and who will actually have some faith in the side. Se of the negativity on here really beggars belief.

Well.....people can say what they feel like on here. That is what a forum is about. Negative maybe. I feel like a few people here. I have serious doubts we can do it. Time an time again this year just at the point of taking a big step and a decisive step playing wise we have fallen. Boro being just the latest. Even Rotherham although that was after the Lord mayors show really. We have had chances. I have such little faith we can do it that I''ve already given up emotionally. But that is me protecting my hope because my hope has been dashed a lot. That is football.

But....what a great year. Alex Neil, many performances, great results away from home. My belief in the team has returned in fact. It''s just that this has perhaps come just a little too late as we cannot just quite convert our potential as a good team into the points needed. Next year we may we''ll win it and do a Newcastle if w Evan keep a strong nucleus and spine.

I really hope we can excel in the play offs but I just feel we might fail .......whatever I will be right into it once it starts. I think the Boro disappointment has not left me and this makes me fearful for us. I don''t agree we are bottles but something is missing. Maybe Alex N can provide something extra that can get us over this final hurdle. But I won''t be blaming him or the players if we don''t. I reckon Derby will do it.

My issue is that people seem determined that we have bottled it at the crucial point - forgetting the wins at places like Leeds and Bolton which were, at the time, as ''crucial''. IMO the fixture list (and it then being moved) did us no favours with the boro game, they had a massive advantage being home in their two preceding games, but you just have to put up with things like that sometimes and we started too slowly. But bottling it? No, I don''t buy that at all.

I think the players are physically shattered after the colossal effort they have put in over the last few months, rather than being bottlers. I do find it insulting that they are labelled thus.

[quote user="sonyc"]Well.....people can say what they feel like on here. That is what a forum is about. Negative maybe. I feel like a few people here. I have serious doubts we can do it. Time an time again this year just at the point of taking a big step and a decisive step playing wise we have fallen. Boro being just the latest. Even Rotherham although that was after the Lord mayors show really. We have had chances. I have such little faith we can do it that I''ve already given up emotionally. But that is me protecting my hope because my hope has been dashed a lot. That is football.

But....what a great year. Alex Neil, many performances, great results away from home. My belief in the team has returned in fact. It''s just that this has perhaps come just a little too late as we cannot just quite convert our potential as a good team into the points needed. Next year we may we''ll win it and do a Newcastle if w Evan keep a strong nucleus and spine.

I really hope we can excel in the play offs but I just feel we might fail .......whatever I will be right into it once it starts. I think the Boro disappointment has not left me and this makes me fearful for us. I don''t agree we are bottles but something is missing. Maybe Alex N can provide something extra that can get us over this final hurdle. But I won''t be blaming him or the players if we don''t. I reckon Derby will do it.[/quote]A good sensible post.I certainly won''t be blaming the players or AN if we don''t make it. They''ve had a fantastic second half to the season and I think there''s every chance we will do even better next year if we''re still in the Championship.Of course all true City fans want us to do it this time but there must be some doubts if only in the simple mathematical 1 in 4 chance of making it. It is a lottery and the best team overall doesn''t always win. City have been a bit flat over the last couple of games and the recent lack of goal scoring opportunities is worrying too. It''s true that past performance is no guide to the future but I would also feel more confident if we''d won more than just two KO competitions in our entire history.Naturally the '' on message '' police dismiss all such concerns as being '' miserablist '', '' defeatist '', etc, but the Play-Offs are hard to win and we''re by no means the '' shoo-in '' that some people seem to think we are.