Sign in to follow this  
OBH

Imagine English Fans Like This?

I''ve noticed before that football fans in countries like Germany and Poland make such a great atmosphere at football matches. Why don''t fans here sing their hearts out all game like this?

https://www.facebook.com/LegiaWarszawa/videos/10153431616124578/?comment_tracking=%7B%22tn%22%3A%22O%22%7D

It''s funny as there was recently a big piece in one of the German papers asking why fans there aren''t as loud and passionate as the fans in the Premier League.

The highlighted the incredible atmosphere produced by Palace fans.

Having been to many games in both England and Germany I would say there is little difference. The main exception is of course Dortmund with their ''Yellow Wall'' but I expect if you made the Kop an all standing, 25,000 capacity grandstand it too would produce similar levels of noise.

Turkish fans are unbelievable. They make every game a real intimidating event.

Booing every time the opposition have the ball, and doing that for the entire game, constant singing etc etc.

Of course the throwing stones at team buses etc is not to be condoned but the atmosphere in their stadiums is immense, every game is like a cup final.

I went to a York City game a few weeks ago, and credit to the home fans , they sang for the vast majority of the game. Their singing fans were under a roof (not a given at some games) and on the terraces. Wether or not, this contributed to the atmosphere/singing, is open for debate, but I really enjoyed it, and I was a neutral.

My take on our own home fans, are that, by and large, they are quieter than from bygone years. Why is that? Is it to do with (fans) nervousness about the prize? Seats? Lack of variety of songs?

Obviously we will not be allowed to bring in drums (as at York) or flares (Turkey etc) but there is plenty of room for improvement here

Kick it off, a friend of mine lived near the Fenerbahce ground for a couple of years recently, said the atmosphere was incredible. Of course, sometimes they go too far and they have played to empty stadiums occasionally!