Sign in to follow this  
Chip20

Re: Mcveigh

Chortle...I like it. You are right, though; it''s hugely frustrating when City resort to hoofed long balls all the time. I know long ball has its place and it can be dangerous to try to be too fancy at the back, but you have to play to your strangths and our vertically-challenged midfielders and strikers aren''t too hot at winning the 50/50 balls.

With regards protecting a lead; it''s a difficult one to sort out. Once it''s happened a couple of times it''s inevitable that players are going to get nervy towards the end of a game. The pattern of a game inevitably changes in the last few minutes as time starts to run out. The other team will be desperate to claw back the deficit and will go forward in numbers. The same pattern of attack that served you well throughout the first 80 minutes may work against you when suddenly your defence is outnumbered because the opposition have nothing to lose. I hope Worthy and the players can find an answer

I think you''ve forgotten the most complete player we''ve signed in years - Mr D. Francis. He might not have the trickery of Mcveigh or the long range passing ability of Mulryne but he was involved in every goal on Tuesday night. He has given us something we haven''t seen for years......yes, you may remember it.....the through ball. For the first time since god knows when, we were running at a team down the middle. That''s how he scored, how Holty got his penalty and how we found ourselves in the box several times in the first half especially.

Mulryne is a great passer but he has the Ray Wilkins syndrome; he stays in the centre circle and only passes to his left or right. Rivers is also a creative player, whose game is coming on a treat now he has someone like Francis to work with. Drury is another, who, once used to his extra responsibilities, will become like the Mark Bowen we used to know and love.

What we really need is: A centre half who can bring the ball out of defence (Leigh Bromby?), and a good striker who will be the Lineker to Mcveigh''s Beardsley.

Well put Oh Spanish one. A most complete and concise posting and I totally agree with all comments. Congratulations for not mentioning maracas. Is that how it''s spelt?