Sign in to follow this  
KeelansGlove

Worthys frustrating selections

Is it me or does Worthy get some sick satisfaction from winding up the supporters ?

Last season it was Holt and it looks like this season it will be Fleming. We conceded 77 Goals last season by far the most in the premier league and the one constant from our defence was a certain mr C Fleming who proudly watched all 77 goals into the back of the net (with the exception of Green of course who did have a decent season) I thought Shackell , Doherty and Charlton all looked good from time to time but nobody could dislodge Fleming regardless of how many goals we conceeded.

Please lets move on Mr Worthington, hopefully build a defensive unit that does not need huge tinkering if we are lucky enough to get promoted and keep Mr Fleming as back up, he may well do a job this season but I dont think to many would be quick to give him another contract if we were promoted this year.

Time moves on for us all, I see Fleming as similar to Iwan in the promotion season, a valueable squad player who will give 100% when called upon but unlikely to play too many games.

Thanks for all the good times Flem , please move aside for the new generation.

LJ - Shackell - Doherty- Drury

You Know it makes sense !

OTBC

[quote]Is it me or does Worthy get some sick satisfaction from winding up the supporters ? Last season it was Holt and it looks like this season it will be Fleming. We conceded 77 Goals last season by far t...[/quote]

It would take a hell of a manager to wind up the fans by making all the wrong selections while winning the league at a canter at the same time!

There''s a flaw in your argument - how can Fleming be responsible for 77 goals because he was ever present, and therefore crap, but Green, who ''proudly watched them go in'' isn''t responsible because he''s good. What you''re saying it, you don''t rate Fleming. Never mind that he was part of the best defence in this league last time he played in it.

I suspect Worthy picks the best players available to him. If he didn''t he would be deliberately undermining his own position and deliberately masterminding our relegation in an attempt to get himself fired...

I also though Shacks was good last season, but that was then... perhaps he''s not quite right in pre-season training yet, who knows?

I agree!

Don''t think we will seeing Shackell tomorrow (to make things worse). Worthy is nothing if not stubborn and once he has got it into his head that a particular player is ''good'' or ''bad'' that''s it (until such time as the fans really make it uncomfortable for and he will then ditch the offending item - Holt late last season for example).

The Shackell debate may well define Worthy''s tenure in the job. IF he is dropping Shackell just for the hell of it (and that would not entirely surprise me) then he is really setting himself up. Shipping goals in the Premier is one thing, shipping them in the fizzy league is unacceptable. EOS.

We are all human and all prone to making mistakes, Fleming was quite clearly out of his depth last year and not getting any younger, I think if we were to play him regularly this season we would not get the chance to put together a defense that could continue for the next few seasons.

[quote]We are all human and all prone to making mistakes, Fleming was quite clearly out of his depth last year and not getting any younger, I think if we were to play him regularly this season we would not g...[/quote]

Agreed totally, there is simply NO value in playing Flem whatsoever. He is not getting any younger, he is much much slower and may not even be upto the pace of this league - if he is played he could be a liability and we can''t afford that in what is a vital season for the club. There is no room for sentiment in football, as Worthington showed with Iwan. So why is he giving the opposite impression with Fleming?

I completely agree too KG.

Frustrating is the word. Shackell looked good, organized the defence, made some superb interceptions by being in the right place.

Simultanenously he made Fleming look like the novice -error prone, bad positioning, zero organizational skill etc. etc.

Now we''re doomed to another season of watching him flail around in the defence while we''ve got a far better replacement sitting on the bench. We all know that if Shackell gets a game, it''ll be Doherty that gives way.

We need to think about the future- Fleming, bench, now!!!

And so it begins.....

Lets all tell Worthy how crap he is because he''s not picking the fans favourite!

Anyone who''s reading this far on this thread, read the Shackell thread, its much more mature!

Why would Worthy purposely do the worst for the team?  Think straight boys!

OTBC!

Chunky

We haven''t even played a game yet guys!!  Lets see what happens tomorrow before having a go at Worthy, we all know Fleming was out of his depth last season but let''s give him a chance to prove himself.

I don''t think Worthy would pick what he considered a poorer team on purpose just that history has shown he has a tendancy to pick players on sentiment rather than picking the best team on the day. Hopefully he has learnt from this mistake.

I dont see how this thread is immature, history back us up in the fact that sometimes we disagree with managers team selections and reading other threads over the last few days I am quite confident that the general consensus is 1) that if we were the manager we would play Shackell and Doherty in central defence, purely on the basis that we think these are our best 2 centre halves. 2) there is a strong possibility that Worthington disagrees with us and will play Mr Fleming.

we haven''t started the season yet, and you''re already criticising worthy''s selections. Give him a chance. Give all the lads a chance, Fleming has been a great servent to this club, and diserves his chance as much as Doherty or anyone else for that matter. Doherty may be young, but is (on last seasons evidence) no faster than flem. Also if Doherty was 2 stone overweight why couldn''t he lose the weight last year? and why did we sign a fatty. Hopefully Doherty will do a Iwan and suddenly become brilliant and slimmer in his second season. All I''m saying is if we don''t win the first three games, don''t start getting on Flemings back. Holty was bad last year but stood no chance once the boo boys got stuck in. I think players should be booed for lack of effort or loyalty. Goodbye Damien and good riddance. Flem will always give his all and as was previously mentioned he was part of the best defense in the division in the championship season.

OK, we''ll wait 10 games and then comment. But I''d be very surprised if he''s developed over the close-season from the liability that he was last season. So much for Worthy building the team for the future upon the young spine of Greeno / Shax /  Deano.

I think the most worrying aspect of all this is not if he plays Flem but if he doesn''t play Shackell.

Our defence was crap last year and the only bright light was the emergence of Shackell both as player and as a leader. If that progress is stiffled this year then I would be very, very, concerned about a certain Mr W

[quote]it is he that watches them train, knows their attitude, see how fired up they are etc. He chooses the best 11[/quote]

I have seen nothing different this season to the way Fleming played last year.  He chases all over the place trying to tackle opponents, is caught out by them, and is left stranded leaving the other defenders to cover for him; and that happened all the time against Inter.

Clearly Worthy is impressed by this attitude on the training ground, but it takes a big man to drop your captain and put in a better defender, not sure Worthy has it in him to drop Fleming.  Your captain should be one of your best players and Fleming is far from that.

I have only seen Louis-Jean and Colin play against Inter, but they both looked more competent than Fleming.  Charlton has always looked a better all round defender than Fleming, but there again he had the audacity to challenge the captain last season, and was dropped for it.  Shackell is already doing what Fleming should be doing and that is marshalling the defence and pushing them out.  Doherty has not been a revelation, but I would still put him in ahead of Fleming.

I don''t care what Fleming does on the training ground or what he writes in the papers to try and impress the boss, all I am interested in is his performance on the pitch, and for a long time that performance has not been up to scratch.