Sign in to follow this  
YankeeCanary

Money & It's Influence In The Play-Offs

I know it''s something we can only speculate on ( or not ) but when four clubs have the financial carrot dangling under their noses with a three match hurdle to jump to attain the pot of gold, do you believe the thinking at the board level for the four clubs involved will revolve around additional financial incentives for the team? It is difficult to believe that it won''t be considered as a motivational factor when the cost may be so small compared to the prize, which is so very large. Additionally, is someone like Marcus Evans likely to "push the boat out " more in this regard because he may deem it more costly to try and maintain another push next year without spending even more money, particularly given the tight reins that he has maintained for Ipswich to this point? Further, if you believe additional financial incentives will play a role in the board level thinking, do you then believe it will have an influence on how the players go about their task, or not?

Good point Yankee. As many of our players took what was rumoured to be a 40% wage cut this season my guess is that they will have some huge promotion bonuses as part of that deal.

Yes, Nutty,  I had seen that reported before for Norwich but, as the players at the other three clubs don''t have the same situation as many of the Norwich players, who have just come down from the Premiership last season, how do you suppose the Boards at those three clubs would attempt to lay out some details for their respective players as opposed to simply saying, "You will realize great financial rewards within your contracts if we are promoted" ?  I mean a lot of those players have not been on a higher pay scale and, if promotion is achieved, may not be retained anyway so you would expect, to some extent, their Boards to play things a little close (r) to the vest.

I realize none of us know the inner details of such matters as to how the Boards of the other contending clubs without recent Premiership experience go about leveling the playing field financially for their players. I''m sure ( as I''m writing this ) that I am pondering questions that cannot be answered , by us at least. I suppose, however, what I ''m wondering, bottom line, is that in a situation like this would there be a greater awareness by the Norwich players with recent Premiership experience of the financial rewards to be had and, if so, does that give them a small incentive edge? Of course I realize, at the end of the day, it''s football and, when they trot out on the pitch at Portman Road, all of this won''t be present. However, it may be a psychological presence/advantage in the days leading up to the match. I hope so. 

I''m not sure how it regards with contacts etc. but didn''t Vincent tan get in trouble for offering out of contract bonuses to Cardiff players for surviving in the PL?