Sign in to follow this  
Pete Raven

Your thoughts on Norwich City's season?

1 out of 10 then. Not bad for a beginner but not enough for you to be able to suggest that I''m a plastic & you aren''t.

Promising start after the first game under Adams but once our form slipped a third of the way through the season, it was hard to recover and it seemed the writing was on the wall for Adams. It was a shame in many respects we didn''t recruit AN a few weeks earlier.as if he had been we may have won automatic.

Alex Neil appeared to gain the respect of the players almost from the very beginning and seems a good man manager and tactician. I was initially sorry to see Phelan leave and thought that might have been a big mistake, but AN and his assistant have done a good job. Under them we have been reasonably consistent and only had the odd game where we''ve slipped up ie Wigan at home, the Brentford game we lost 2-1 where we experimented because of injuries and finally the Rotherham game away I thought we should have one. Add to that the Middlesbrough disappointment where we were slow to get going. I think those have been the games under AN that have cost us. However, all sides even the best ones in the Premiership slip up from time to time, so we can''t criticise them too much.

Once our best defensive line up was found we became more solid at the back and that was mainly down to having Bassong back. Under Adams we rarely kept the same defensive partnership for more than two games and none of the defenders were anywhere near as good as Bassong. Johnson''s new position on the left was a master stroke, as he has been an added goal threat and seems very comfortable there. Although not an orthodox winger by any means, his game has improved greatly under AN. All the midfield have chipped in with a good number of goals which has been very encouraging and if it wasn''t for them we wouldn''t be anywhere near the play offs. However this is a team game, so everyone should chip in. It''s been a little disappointing that our central defenders haven''t scored more from corners and free kicks. Grabban seemed to improve under AN and occasionally Redmond has looked promising although he has lacked a little consistency. If we go up, I would expect him to score more often and to improve his crossing.

Whether this season has been a ''total'' success depends largely on whether we win the play offs, but as long as Alex Neil is here next season, I''m confident of a good campaign where ever we are.

Work in progress, scraped minimum attainment level. Deserved chance for squad to redeem themselves