Sign in to follow this  
Pete Raven

Your thoughts on Norwich City's season?

There''s nothing to suggest Lennon wouldn''t have done better than Adams. But given that people believe he would have there''s then nothing to suggest Lennon would have done as well as Alex Neil. So are people convinced Lennon would have got 90 points over the season or are they assuming he would have resigned in January like Adams did.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]There''s nothing to suggest Lennon wouldn''t have done better than Adams. But given that people believe he would have there''s then nothing to suggest Lennon would have done as well as Alex Neil. So are people convinced Lennon would have got 90 points over the season or are they assuming he would have resigned in January like Adams did.[/quote]We''ll never know but the appointment of Adams was certainly an anti climax for many. I wished him well but it was more in hope than anticipation.We are where we are and nobody can know if it might have turned out differently.

[quote user="Highland Canary"]The non-appointment of Lennon last May cost us automatic promotion. [/quote]Well he hasn''t exactly set the World on fire at Bolton who have hardly improved since he took over so I think it''s a bit much to say that we would have been better off with him than we are without him.On top of that, having lived on the blue side of Glasgow, I can''t stand the guy. Not that that clouds my perception as I think his record says it all - good when there''s no competition, no better than average when there is.And his recent signings of Hesky & Gudjohnsen haven''t been exactly what you would call "forward thinking"Even Deila has managed to win the Scottish title at a canter.I''ll give Lennon until next Christmas to sort Bolton out or he''ll be on his way back to Scotland.

Lennon would have challenged the board, challenged the players, maximised the potential of our key asset Hooper, and I suspect wouldn''t have lent our best defender to a team which gained automatic promotion. But at least we''ve got a lottery ticket.

I think Hooper is a decent player but he''s hardly our "key asset". If he was then he would have played near enough every game under both Adams & Neil but the fact is, he hasn''t. I would have thought that Neil, given his knowledge of Scottish football, would be well aware of Hooper''s capabilities but he has continually failed to pick him when Jerome and Grabban have been available.

Interestingly we have got more points, scored more goals & conceded fewer than we did when going up in 2011. Not sure what that proves other than we ain''t been that bad.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]There''s nothing to suggest Lennon wouldn''t have done better than Adams. But given that people believe he would have there''s then nothing to suggest Lennon would have done as well as Alex Neil. So are people convinced Lennon would have got 90 points over the season or are they assuming he would have resigned in January like Adams did.[/quote]Other than perhaps he had managed successfully at a decent level before, or indeed managed at a professional level at all.I see stats say that Alex Neil has managed 2.19 points per game compared to Neil Adams 1.54 points per game, says it all really about what an alarmingly poor decision appointing Adams was. Lennon has averaged 1.32 at Bolton since he took charge and he took over a very poor squad who were rock bottom of the League at the time.

quote user="Highland Canary"]Lennon would have challenged the board, challenged the players, maximised the potential of our key asset Hooper, and I suspect wouldn''t have lent our best defender to a team which gained automatic promotion. But at least we''ve got a lottery ticket.[/quote

Oh come on Highland.

You can''t come out with that sort of ''knowledge''. It all sounds very dramatic and assured, and in the ''know'', but your statement can never be challenged, or more importantly, proven, so in the end, it is just an opinion, like everyone else on here.

With how you portray this, you are making yourself out to be the ultimate port of all things managerial, but in reality........

That makes no sense Whoareyou. Lennon''s "record" at Celtic puts Neil''s record at Hamilton in the shade. So your leapof faith, using those yardsticks as "fact" mean that Lennon would have done far better than Neil too. So you''re logic is suggesting 100 points+. I''m not having that.

Even if you take that leap of faith that Lennon would have bettered Adams record he wouldn''t then have resigned in January would he? How good do you think Lennon is? If he''s THAT good how come all he could get was Bolton?

Every time I think about how are season has panned out I can''t help but think of Sebastian Bassong''s sulk and how much I''d like to poke him in the eye.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]How good do you think Lennon is? If he''s THAT good how come all he could get was Bolton?[/quote]^ this

[quote user="nutty nigel"]How good do you think Lennon is? If he''s THAT good how come all he could get was Bolton?[/quote]^ this

Neil Lennon''s win percentage this season - 34.21%Neil Adams'' win percentage this season - 40.74%Both average to ok, but neither good enough for an automatic promotion.

[quote user="whoareyou"][quote user="nutty nigel"]There''s nothing to suggest Lennon wouldn''t have done better than Adams. But given that people believe he would have there''s then nothing to suggest Lennon would have done as well as Alex Neil. So are people convinced Lennon would have got 90 points over the season or are they assuming he would have resigned in January like Adams did.[/quote]Other than perhaps he had managed successfully at a decent level before, or indeed managed at a professional level at all.I see stats say that Alex Neil has managed 2.19 points per game compared to Neil Adams 1.54 points per game, says it all really about what an alarmingly poor decision appointing Adams was. Lennon has averaged 1.32 at Bolton since he took charge and he took over a very poor squad who were rock bottom of the League at the time.[/quote]The point about Bolton was that they actually had a decent squad that was way underperforming under Freedman. As for Lennon''s statistics, in his first 10 games in charge Bolton racked up 18 points, so 1.8 points per game. But in the remaining 25 (which started with two wins, mind) they have only got 28 more points, at 1.12 ppg.Whether that good early run was just a case of new-manager bounce followed by a wearing-off I don''t know. It is certainly possible, given Lennon''s reputation as someone who shakes things up. Rather like Stuart Pearce, who, as Danny Mills correctly predicted, had a good initial impact at Forest but then his lack of tactical nous soon got him found out.There is more to management than some kind of Braveheart/up ''n'' at ''em approach. Despite what one or two (literally one or two) posters are claiming, Lennon''s record so far at Bolton is far from proof that he would have had us promoted by now. On the contrary it fits in with the notion that there would have been an early-season impetus followed by a falling back into the pack.

[quote user="Making Plans"][quote user="nutty nigel"]How good do you think Lennon is? If he''s THAT good how come all he could get was Bolton?[/quote]^ this[/quote]I have made this point before. Lennon left Celtic in May.There were any number of good Championship clubs that could have gone for him, such as Forest, Cardiff, Fulham or Watford..Or us. But it is a fair assumption that none did, since he hardly would have turned any of those down. It took a club in freefall to take the risk. If Lennon was the "no-brainer"  his supporters here claim how come he had to settle for Bolton? He may prove to be a good manager, but there wasn''t and still isn''t yet any firm evidence to back that up, let alone that he would have been bound to get us promoted straight away.

And as I pointed out earlier, Deila a young and inexperienced manager took over from Lennon and still managed to win the Scottish PL by a street. Think that puts Lennon''s achievements there into perspective. OK so he won a couple of Champions League games but every manager gets lucky, and pulls off unexpected results, once in a while.On the basis of what he achieved at Celtic, given the quality of the opposition of the week in, week out opposition (or should that be weak in, weak out), and what he''s achieved thus far at Bolton, it''s incredible that some people think that we would have walked the Championship if he had come here this season.

- How do you rate the season?  As I stated at the start of the season, I would be happy with a top 6 season, so 9/10 for almost getting into the top 2 !- Could it have been better? Of course it could have, we could have be in the top two !- Who was the outstanding performer? Our player of the season, that''s why he got it but a special mention goes to - Alex Neil.- What were your highs and lows? Highs - The draw at Derby and the win at Bournemouth. Lows - losing at Reading and Middlesbough -

And, of course, after the final game of the season reveals City’s

play-off semi-final opponents, how do you rate City’s chance of getting

to Wembley?  With who we are playing I think we''ve a good chance of getting to Wembley, but in the final both the other teams have given us trouble, so whom ever makes it I hope
Alex Neil will sort out how to beat them.PS. I don''t feel Lennon would have done any better than Neil Adams, but Mcnally has stated that he was looking at Alex Neil at the time so maybe the mistake is not opting for him sooner.

Have I missed something? I''ve been searching for a news item or interview following our relegation where Neil Lennon announced he would accept the Norwich City job if it were offered to him. Is there any such interview, or any other evidence that Lennon was remotely interested in becoming our manager? As I recall, the general assumption when he left Celtic was that he was hoping for an offer from a PL club. If there''s no evidence he would have taken the Norwich job, what on earth is Highland''s point exactly?

Apologies, should have read as follows -[quote user="Making Plans"]And as I pointed out earlier, Deila a young and inexperienced manager took over from Lennon and still managed to win the Scottish PL by a street. Think that puts Lennon''s achievements there into perspective. OK so he won a couple of Champions League games but every manager gets lucky, and pulls off unexpected results, once in a while.On the basis of what he achieved at Celtic, given the quality of the opposition week in, week out (or should that be weak in, weak out), and what he''s achieved thus far at Bolton, it''s incredible that some people think that we would have walked the Championship if he had come here this season.[/quote]

[quote user="nutty nigel"]That makes no sense Whoareyou. Lennon''s "record" at Celtic puts Neil''s record at Hamilton in the shade. So your leapof faith, using those yardsticks as "fact" mean that Lennon would have done far better than Neil too. So you''re logic is suggesting 100 points+. I''m not having that.

Even if you take that leap of faith that Lennon would have bettered Adams record he wouldn''t then have resigned in January would he? How good do you think Lennon is? If he''s THAT good how come all he could get was Bolton?[/quote]Lennon would have been a better choice than Neil Adams, of that I have no doubt. Would he have got us promoted? That we will never know. I will never ever understand though why the Board saw fit to take such a huge risk at a critical time and appoint a manager with zero experience. It was a joke then and is a joke now. We were the laughing stock of football at the time especially with the ridiculous comments about scouring the whole of Europe and finding no one better qualified for the job.However, I would not swap Lennon for our current manager. Once Mcnally saw sense and decided a change was needed, he did the right thing.

Well I guess a review of the season does invite hindsight. But you''re pushing it a bit with that.

McNally made two appointments. Neither time did he go to Lennon. So I can only assume that you and Highland were unhappy with both at the time but happier now than if Lennon had been appointed either time. Or are you pinning yur faith on Lennon walking in January like Adams did....

I was very happy when we appointed Alex Neil. It did not take much to see how much drive, ambition and authority he had as soon as he spoke.But you still avoid my point if how making Adams manager was an insane appointment. It was the same small-minded, ''bleeding yellow and green'' appointment that had got us into League One before....and still they made the same mistake again.

That would only make sense if you criticised the board for not appointing Neil in the summer. This Lennon love in really doesn''t have much going for it, based on what he''s done at Bolton and the amount of championship clubs who appointed managers after he left Celtic.

A terrific season so far.  Adams imo, was never going to cut the mustard long term, but he may have been just what we needed at the time of the beginning of the season. It got us off to a good start - and a start that may not have been guaranteed under Lennon or anyone else. The local factor and the galvanising effect it had after the Hughton era, seemed to kick start us with some momentum at the beginning of the season.  Nothing I have seen or heard ftrom Lennon suggests he was the answer and no-one was really complaining when we were beating all and sundry early on.  The bigger picture is rarely easy to decipher, but simply thinking that this or that manager could have come in and got us on the right track is wishful thinking. Adams did come in and he got us off on the right track - positive and attacking.  That has set us up for a promotion battle that is still in progress - so at the moment it is a story of success.  That he struggled long term was not a surprise -but the way we got AN and the subsequent good form is testament to the behind the scenes activity at the club, with credit to all, particularly Adams himself.   From where I am its been a fantastic season so far, with determined fight and passion to the cause - and it''s not over yet.

It''s been great because plastics haven''t been able to watch games on illegal internet streams. I, for one, don''t give a monkeys chuff if we get promoted because the Championship is a great league and I actually go to games (unlike most contributors to this forum).

[quote user="Yur Gonnaget"]It''s been great because plastics haven''t been able to watch games on illegal internet streams. I, for one, don''t give a monkeys chuff if we get promoted because the Championship is a great league and I actually go to games (unlike most contributors to this forum).[/quote][:)] Bless.

Its been great for me because as there have been less streams around this season, the games I have been able to go to have meant so much more to me.  You see my poor deluded friend, its not what you posture about or what you brag about that matters - its what is inside that counts - and in your case that doesn''t appear to be much.

I see. And all those recent games oop north on your doorstep that you couldn''t bother to go to? Huddersfield? Leeds? Rotherham? Organizing your sock drawer I expect. No ones interested in your ill informed plastic views.

I''m comfortable with the games I have got to this season, thanks - and like I said, for a football supporter, it''s what is inside that matters. Perhaps you need to look inside yourself a bit more and see if your motivation is really for your football club or more for your own self-engrandisement.    I''ll save you time - its the latter. Don''t bother trying to hide it because it is there in every post you write. 

It''s great that you''ve accepted what you are - a plastic. It''s the first step on your journey to supporting your local team.

[quote user="Yur Gonnaget"]It''s been great because plastics haven''t been able to watch games on illegal internet streams.[/quote]I watched virtually every game live on "illegal internet streams" up until Jan 1st. Since then, when I have not been in Norfolk, which is frequently", I have listened to "illegal internet streams" of Radio Norfolk.As far as I''m concerened I am just as much a supporter of NCFC as you are but you just happen to be lucky enough to be in a position whereby you can go to games whilst at the moment, I can''t.Now tell me, where you a supporter in 1956, did you go to games when we played in the old Third Division, did you go go to City v Ilford, did you queue for hours during the night to get FA Cup tickets in 1959, did you ever see Reg Foulks play, did your Father have a trial for City in 1938, have you been a season ticket holder through thick & thin for over 20 years, have you seen Norwich play at Mansfield, Halifax and Notts County and have you been to over 600 City games?Thought not.