Sign in to follow this  
Pete Raven

Your thoughts on Norwich City's season?

It’s been another season to remember for Norwich City, and next week we are producing a special series of Pink Uns marking the team’s achievement in reaching the play-offs.There will be a special pictorial look-back at the campaign, courtesy of our photographer Paul Chesterton, who also chooses his top three pictures of the season.And as well as contributions from our columnists, we want to share your thoughts with City’s yellow army.There are plenty of questions.- How do you rate the season? - Could it have been better? - Who was the outstanding performer? - What were your highs and lows? - And, of course, after the final game of the season reveals City’s play-off semi-final opponents, how do you rate City’s chance of getting to Wembley? Whatever your thoughts, we’d love to read them. And what better way to show your allegiance to the Canaries than by sending us a photo from the season?Please email us with your thoughts and pictures to norfolksport@archant.co.uk, pop a letter through the post box at Prospect House, Rouen Road, Norwich, NR1 1RE, or reply to this post.Deadline is Tuesday lunchtime.

"Whatever your thoughts we''d like to hear them".

Can''t say fairer than that Dan. If you think its some kind of failure you have been offered the platform to say so ;)

That was a small snippet of what I wrote. Some reason it''s gone.

Objective was to get promoted. It''s still possible.

Said season as a whole was split. but did wel to get back on track and showed a lot of quality along the way. The manager is a genius.....

Really can''t be bothered to go into all that detail again mate. Daughters no home from nursery.

This season has been memorable because of Neil Adams. The football club didn''t listen to fan concerns when he got the job full time. Even when it became clear that Adams was out of his depth the ''official'' supporter groups weren''t advocating for change. So fans eventually took matters into their own hands when they protested outside

the ground after the Reading game.This was the season that supporters finally put their foot down and said no to the appointment of rookie managers. We eventually made a good choice, but by then it was too late to make a sustained challenge for the automatic spots.

" Could it have been better? "

Come on SDP, surely the powers that be, could come up with more thought provoking questions than that?

Personally, I thought it has been a rollercoaster ride, almost a game of two halves, but the lads have always given us 110%

[quote user="93vintage"]This season has been memorable because of Neil Adams. The football club didn''t listen to fan concerns when he got the job full time. Even when it became clear that Adams was out of his depth the ''official'' supporter groups weren''t advocating for change. So fans eventually took matters into their own hands when they protested outside

the ground after the Reading game.
This was the season that supporters finally put their foot down and said no to the appointment of rookie managers. We eventually made a good choice, but by then it was too late to make a sustained challenge for the automatic spots.[/quote]Weren''t they?Did they?

The season that a new forum threatened the Pink''Un and posters'' signatures were removed to prevent them from advertising the new forum. Norwichtalk has died on its Keith Harris, let''s have our signatures back please Sports Desk Pete.

[quote user="93vintage"]This season has been memorable because of Neil Adams. The football club didn''t listen to fan concerns when he got the job full time. Even when it became clear that Adams was out of his depth the ''official'' supporter groups weren''t advocating for change. So fans eventually took matters into their own hands when they protested outside the ground after the Reading game.

This was the season that supporters finally put their foot down and said no to the appointment of rookie managers. We eventually made a good choice, but by then it was too late to make a sustained challenge for the automatic spots.
[/quote]

Just a couple of points in there 93V.....what ''official'' supporter groups are you talking about and surely you are not telling me that the handful of 25 or so who demonstrated after the Reading game influenced Adams to stand down ?

Considering the mess we made of the seasons after PL relegation before, and the mess Cardiff and Fulham made this time, I think this season has been an achievement. We narrowly missed autos and can go into the play-offs in full confidence.

Looking at what they''ve done elsewhere the Board dodged a few bullets last summer when fans favourites Mackay, Lennon and Rosler were all the rage on the message boards. Neil Adams managed the very difficult first half of the season well and since Adam''s resignation Alex Neil took us on an incredible run that oh so nearly ended in the auto spots. It''s been a fantastic season overall on the pitch with great excitement and many brilliant goals that will long live in the memory. And of course two wins against the binners, one each for the two managers, meant that as we approach the play-offs there really isn''t anything to complain or get depressed about.

The fact that this is the first reply where someone has actually enjoyed the exciting matches and brilliant goals shows the extent the media soap opera surrounding the game has become more important then the enjoyment the game provides. None of us supporters would come close to achieving what the Board and managers have done this season. But we don''t have to. All we have to do is enjoy it but it seems, even in this wonderful season, many still can''t do that.

Anticipation ,,,😮, excitement ,,,, 😀disappointment 😓

Anticipation 😮,,,,, excitement ,,,😃,,,, disappointment ,,,😒

Anticipation ........😳.................

OTBC !!! Let''s finish the season on excitement !!!! 😎😜😍

Enough has been said about Neil Adams - wanted the best for the club but wasn''t up to the job. AN is a very good young manager - but still with more to learn IMO. It been frustrating given that we beat Watford 3-0 twice, and took 4 points from Bournemouth (both PL clubs in a couple of days or so). The problem has been consistency. My concern is this - AN has done a wonderful job in playing catch-up and getting us back in the mix. However, for some reason, each time we had the chance to take advantage and move ahead (think Wigan, Boro, Roth) we slipped up. Did we bottle-it? That may be too harsh but it was a recurring theme. Every time we were in prime position we lost games or dropped points that we should really have won. The type of games that the promoted teams managed to get a result. We have done that when chasing - but each time we were there thinking this is our chance! Bump! Back down to earth. I am hoping the highlight to this season is yet to come by winning the playoffs. We have shown that we are capable - we just need to do it when it really matters. It is time for the players to step-up and also to see if Alex Neil can take us that next step further. COYY.

I agree with most of that NN, while Neil Adams was a perplexing choice he did manage the initial transition well, so it seems, although it fell away quite quickly. the irony is that we were all calling for a more experienced manager and got someone even younger.

In terms of Pete''s questions:

- How do you rate the season? As things stand now a 7/10. Buoyed by the two derby wins and finishing in the play offs plus some memorable performances, but slight tinge of disappointment that having done the hard work on two occasions we let it slip just when it looked like we would power away in the automatic positions and put pressure on the others. But we were so cr*p when we came down that in the circumstances to be where we are is a good solid achievement.

- Could it have been better? Well obviously yes, automatics would have been nice and where achievable in the end.

- Who was the outstanding performer? Has to be Bradley.

- What were your highs and lows? High= win at Ipswich, low = home defeat to M''Boro after winning the two previous away games and being right "on the shoulder" coming into the final straight

- And, of course, after the final game of the season reveals City’s play-off semi-final opponents, how do you rate City’s chance of getting to Wembley? Good, in fact excellent regardless of who we play in the semis. the final will be tough if it is M''Boro but we don''t need to be scared of anyone and AN will be determined to be the guy who goes down in folklore as the man who rescued the season and pulled us up to the PL by the scruff of the neck.

My summary would be in much the same vein as NN, Hungry and Tumbleweed. I think the tag of being the best squad has been our albatross (something AN commented on soon after his arrival). Tight margins, fell just short, but great excitement and entertainment and hey!, we''re still in it!

Hope that Adams would be the answer, expectation with the squad assembled and disbelief of a rookie appointment replacing Adams!

Neil doing an excellent job till now (so did Hughton in his first 20 odd games, so forgive me if I still have some convincing to do), promotion was always the goal set by the board and the benchmark for us fans to use for a successful season.

Failing to go up will make it a tough from next season onwards.

Great to be part of a promotion chase rather than battling relegation and an exciting end to a good season.

Quote from Mcnally sums it up:

“Our priority at the start of the season was to finish first or second, of course, and we’re going to be third or fourth, but considering where we were in the autumn when we were 10th or 11th for a period we have to be thrilled we have this opportunity.”

tells you everything.

Not really as said earlier considering the chances we had to pull away and messed it up really can''t be dismissed with where we were last autumn.

Still it''s exciting and if we are in this league next year we have consider the board have failed!

Play offs look about par.

Transition from mostly not winning to winning never easy, some slack should be cut to Neil Adams. Momentum a huge factor in football.

Alex Neil inherited a good set up. Something of a free hit. Tactically addressed midfield pivot, Martin at Centre Back, Hoolahan''s role and a free-roaming striker who stretches wide and behind. Good spine.

Return to winning good for the galleries. Feel good factor back. Somewhat unlucky at the sense of disappointment missing automatics. Suspect Alex Neil''s temperament well suited to the Play-Off format.

Parma

Last time we got relegated from the Prem, we started the season with high expectations which were quickly extinguished by reality. This time we were in it almost til the end, but we''ve still got a shot at promotion.

Since the season won''t be over for at lesst a few more games, regardless of how they turn out, I''d say I''m at the very least satisfied. If we get the 3rd promotion spot, I''d say it was awesome.

August - hopeSeptember - confidenceOctober - concernNovember - despairDecember - frustrationJanuary - reliefFeberuary - beliefMarch - expectationApril - disappointmentMay - ?

Could have been worse...but should have been better.Whilst i do agree that Adams stopped the club doing a Fulham or Cardiff ( though i suspect that many could have done similar simply by allowing the players to express themselves again after the Hughton experience), it still beggars belief that the Board made a decision to appoint a manager with zero experience of managing professional players, in what is a vital season for the club.I have no idea what the outcome maybe of us not being promoted in terms of players having to be sold but at least we now have a manager with a single minded determination to win games.

Agree with the above post....

at the moment we are in limbo stuck between two worlds.

We missed the big prize with failure 2 weeks ago....

But at the same time knew we had done enough to qualify for the Play offs....this left us all with feeling of anti climax !!

But come the end of today we will know who,what, where and when.....the anticipation and excitement will start to resurface as we all get behind our club ready to go to war again.....

Do we really care who ? off course not we are capable of beating anyone over 2 legs in the league.

Dead rubbers and games we dont need are the worry.....

But one thing for sure I am glad we are playing a dead rubber today and not got the thrill :) of the binners,Derby,Wolves or the Bee''s this afternoon....

OTBC

Not many have Nutty''s perspective so most people''s opinions on the whole season will be dependant on whether we can reach Wembley and if we can win the final should we do so.

I feel pretty positive right now after the way we tackled the Fulham game today. We had a big of a hangover going on but that appears to have been addressed as we accepted our lot.

Neil Adams possibly suffered from being too heart and soul and reading between the lines I suspect the pressure got to him in the end. But, he was big enough to realise this and stand down amicably.

I also suspect the pressure and expectation NA put on himself also affected the players in a similar way but this passion and sense of team spirit did ensure we kept the core of our squad together and this was his achievement. His defensive signings didn''t come off and the loss of Bassong could equally be laid at the feet of the player himself and a lack of professionalism. Had we had Bassong all season he and the rest would now be back in the EPL.

Alex Neil was a revelation from the start and the only negatives on his CV were self generated in that he got us to the cusp of success only for us to fall at the key hurdles against Wigan and Boro.

This is now the question he faces: can he see this side over the line for once?!

It is interesting how things worked out today. Derby crashed against a Reading team finally unshackled from the FA Cup and having seen what they are capable of one has to wonder how their cup run affected the final table as Watford and Bournemouth played them at just the right time.

The fall of Derby meant we play 1p5wich instead of Brentford and I''m not unhappy about that. Brentford are a potentially more dangerous side with goals in them and they will be feeling buoyed by their late success and wanting to give their manager a send off - they might just beat Boro.

Ipswich, like us against Fulham today will feel it is their turn and they are very capable of beating us over two legs. We have to ensure we give them nothing to hold onto from the first leg as they can be obdurate if nothing else. I hope our 4-5-1 will do the business. For me, we still owe them for years of hurt back in the 1970''s so there is no way this poster has ''win fatigue'' against the old enemy. We need to be grounded, wary and determined.

It is disappointing not to achieve automatic, especially as it ended up so close that in other circumstances BJ''s own goal could have been the worst moment of his life, as it is he deserves his Pots. I hope he hasn''t put himself in a position to miss a final if he picks up another booking or two?

The non-appointment of Lennon last May cost us automatic promotion. But the change in manager has bought us a lottery ticket. We have a one in four chance of our number coming up.

[quote user="Highland Canary"]The non-appointment of Lennon last May cost us automatic promotion. But the change in manager has bought us a lottery ticket. We have a one in four chance of our number coming up.[/quote]probably corrrect[Y]