Sign in to follow this  
MarkU

Could we fill a 40,000 seat stadium?

What gate could we achieve?

Ipswich home leg sold out in less than two hours with many like me having no chance. Most Championship games were sold out and now we are close again to entertaining the big boys in the Premiership.

No season ticket availability and no gaps that need filling in the stadium makes you wonder what our gate could be like if money and planning was no problem?

I think Mcnally did his research into this and came to the conclusion that we could fill a 35,000 seater. However, this is only from memory.

I think if tickets were priced correctly, we could easily fill a stadium of such size. West Ham have shown that this strategy works. It would also allow more people to buy tickets who weren''t season ticket holders and were around to attend s game... something that''s hard to do at the moment.

For end of season crunch matches, Derby matches and games against Man U, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool and Man City I think we could fill close to 35,000 when you include the large away following those sides tend to bring. When you think we are hitting 26.900 in the championship it''s not a crazy reality, especially if we price it right and still have a healthy number of season ticket holders. I think if we expanded the ground to that figure we probably would empty the season ticket waiting list and have 25,000 seats alone accounted for through that,

For 40,000 I think we would struggle in a normal season sense even with the teams above, however play offs and Cup semi finals might be the exception. Against Ipswich in any of those situations would do it, I have no doubt we could sell 40,000 including away for the Carrow road fixture, the same as when the 37,000 for Wembley will sell out within a couple of days if we make it.

If you take all of the current season ticket holders, plus those on the waiting list, plus those who would buy a season ticket if they didn''t have to put money down to join a waiting list, plus those who may feel compelled to sign-up for a season ticket due to wanting to be involved in a ''new & improved'' higher-capacity stadium, I think we''d push 30,000 season ticket sales. Add in some general individual match ticket sales, plus 2,000/3,000 away fans, then 35,000 is achievable. 40,000 would be a push. We may manage a near 40,000 sell-out for games against the likes of Man Utd, Liverpool and Arsenal in the Premier League, and any derby matches with Ipswich of course, as there would be an increase in casual fans wanting to attend, but 40k would be a struggle to fill on a regular basis I think.

No we wouldn''t, we would struggle to get more than 35,000, if we were ti increase the current capacity it would not be at the expense of subsidised ticketing, too many empty yellow seats for too many games would be the price for too big a stadium.

Nope. If we could even reasonably regularly fill a 40k stadium work would already be under place!
Reality is, in my opinion, the ST holders on waiting list and a few extra casuals might see us regularly hitting the 30k mark, with big game maybe approaching the 32k. I don''t see more than that for us, personally.

Occasionally but not regularly. I rather we added, say 4 to5,000, than there regularly be swathes of empty seats.

Totally agree with Badger 4 or 5000 extra tops otherwise lots of empty seats at most games.

The odd very big game that would need 40 0000 would be once in a blue moon.

Sorry but realistic.

Absolutely no chance of filling 40''000 consistently, we''re not that big.

We could probably fill a 30-32K stadium in the Prem with the higher away support.

With seat ticket sales being an ever decreasing percentage of the clubs turnover I cannot see where it would ever be economically viable to increase the capacity or build a new stadium. The only reason I can see to invest in such is if we stay in the prem and look as though we might start turning over large profits. It would then be wise to invest any excess monies rather than pay taxes on them.

[quote user="fatty man"]Not a chance in hell[/quote]
I suppose, since your lot could do with the money, we could buy about 10,000 seats from you, if they weren''t blue.
Shouldn''t cause a problem what with your measly 17,000 average attendance.
Even out of those 17,000 - 10,000 aren''t clever enough to realise they''re watching football.
Then again maybe they''re the smart one''s - your bunch hardly play football.
I lost track somewhere. I think i''m trying to say, I hate the scum.

[quote user="fatty man"]Not a chance in hell[/quote]You are needed back on TWTD, some are so excited that you have sold out for a home game that they are wetting themselves in rapture whilst others are complaining because they will not be two spare seats next to them to put their flask and sandwiches like they usually do.

[quote user="Molly Windley"][quote user="fatty man"]Not a chance in hell[/quote]You are needed back on TWTD, some are so excited that you have sold out for a home game that they are wetting themselves in rapture whilst others are complaining because they will not be two spare seats next to them to put their flask and sandwiches like they usually do.[/quote]

seriously this is not good news, I normally like to have my flask next to me and put me feet up in front. Hopefully I''ll still be the only one in the bar

Some sources state the population of Norwich could be 280/300,000 in the next 10-20 years.

If that where to be true and assuming the incomers after a period of time chose to support their local team.

Using the unlikely possibility of an increase in city population causing an exact correlation with Norwich City Stadium demand.

27,000 > 32-35,000

Nottingham for example has a population of approx 300,000 with forest 30k and county 19K

If other locations in Norfolk also have population increases and the current catchment area of one million people becomes say 1.2 or so I don''t see why long term 40k would not be possible.

But as MW has said you make more money from TV than tickets by far these days. So better to have a 100% full small stadium which keeps the outgoings down so you get the most £ from the TV money.

When carrow road is run down and/if the demand is there we may see a new stadium like Sunderlands outside the city 10-20 years from now.

[quote user="Molly Windley"]With seat ticket sales being an ever decreasing percentage of the clubs turnover I cannot see where it would ever be economically viable to increase the capacity or build a new stadium. The only reason I can see to invest in such is if we stay in the prem and look as though we might start turning over large profits. It would then be wise to invest any excess monies rather than pay taxes on them.[/quote]That is only true in the Premier League. In the Championship last time (ie the 2010-11 season) ticket sales were the largest single item of income, accounting for £8.1m out of a total of £23m. Bizarrely it is actually more financially important for us to have an increased capacity in the Championship (or League One) than it is in the Premier League.

Maybe for a big enough game in the premier league or cup game or play off final I think it possible.
The UEA did a study on the demand and concluded that expanding the stadium by 7,000 was viable given the demand in the area, so week in week out I think we could probably pull crowds of 30,000+ but I wouldn''t expect 35,000 sell out every week.
Much of this depends on the climate of the club.

We just need to get in the premier league and after 2 seasons of staying in the league we will increase the capacity, oh has that already been said.

The waiting list has dwindled I''m afraid. We no longer have that to rely on.

My Dad put his name on the waiting list during this close season (as he retired and could finally go on Saturdays), and he was called after the first game of the season offering him a ticket.

Yes there may be some on the waiting list who are waiting for seats together but I think this is a clear indication of our ability to sell more tickets. Fine when we''re in the prem and people are coming to see all the stars, but after two years of tripe under Hughton and a relegation, the waiting list is minimal.

I think 32,000 would be the max we could hope for and not have a ridiculously looking quarter empty stadium.