Sign in to follow this  
Canary99

Team for Saturday?

Just curious as to what team people would be selecting for the first leg on Saturday? Mine would be:

Ruddy

Whittaker Martin bassong olsson

Tettey Howson

Redmond hoolahan Johnson

Jerome

Ruddy

Whittaker Martin Bassong Olsson

Howson Tettey Dorrans Johnson

Hoolahan

Jerome

Rudd R.Bennett O''Neill Odjijda E.Bennett Redmond Hooper

E. Bennet may be in with a shout at full back, AN may have wanted to have a look against Fulham at him with a view to dealing with the pace of Sears??

Jerome don''t think will start still got that little niggle thigh strain.i think at best he will come on later in second half

I think it will be this:

--------------------Ruddy-------------------

Whittaker--Martin--Bassong--Olsson

--------------------Tettey--------------------

Howson--Dorrans--Hoolahan--Johnson

-------------------Jerome----------------------

I think Tetty should be fine, he''s been rested for pretty much 2 weeks by the time the match comes around, I think that has been done with the fixture in mind. Wes is certain to start, he has been a thorn in ipswich''s side for years now, they just can''t keep him under control for a full 90 minutes. I''d expect Jerome to start, Hooper likely to get a run out later on depending on how things are going.

The big one for me is it wonder if either Bennett wil feature in defence?

I should think Jerome and Tettey are being wrapped in cotton wool this week and will defintely start if fit.  It was also interesting that Bassong, Howson and Hoolahan were taken off on Saturday once the game was won - I''d expect all 5 of them to be in the starting line up and Whitaker as well if he''s fit.

I thought Elliott Bennett did well, as did Gary O''Neil, but I think Ipswich might be a bit too physical up front for Bennett at right back.  The priority is for us to come away from there with either one foot in the final or at least a fighting chance of getting there.  We know we can score against them, but equally I think they are very capable of scoring against us.

My squad, starters underlined:

Ruddy, Rudd:

Whittaker, E Bennett, Olsson, Bassong, Martin, R Bennett;

Tettey, O''Neil, Johnson, Howson, Dorrans, Hoolahan, Redmond, Odjija-Ofoe

Jerome, Hooper, Loza

O''Neil or Loza might be the one to miss out of the final 18.

I really, really do not want us to go back to playing Dorrans, Howson, Tettey and Johnson in a midfield 4 because despite us scrambling decent results I do not feel the team has played quite so well since we tried shoehorning all 4 into the team and i feel the side lacks pace. If we have no pace it makes it much easier for the opposition fullbacks to push up the pitch. I therefore want to see Redmond starting to get their fullbacks worrying about our attacking threat. Relatively relaxed as to whether Jerome or Hooper start but I feel on recent form the latter deserves to play. I would also be tempted to play Ryan Bennett who is far, far stronger in the air than Martin.

Ruddy

Martin Bennett Bassong Olsson

Howson Tettey Johnson

Redmond Hoolahan

Hooper

Although Redders has been very inconsistent this season I certainly think that by having him in the team it will stop the binners pushing forward their full backs too much.

They are very susceptible to any pace and having him in the team will be a great asset. If we went ahead and they felt that they must at least get a draw at home he would really be a threat on the break.

Best finisher? Probably.

Best centre forward? Maybe not.

I''m still getting over my buddy Jim Smith selecting both Tettey and Johnson in the same team. [;)] The only stranger thing that could happen would be for Crafty to vote Labour......

Assuming Whits is still injured I''d go with : -

Ruddy

Bennett E, Martin, Bassong, Olsson

Redmond, Howson, Tettey, Hoolahan, Johnson

Jerome

And a subs bench to put the scare shtless all binners wherever they may be....

Dorrans could bring some much needed calmness to the midfield, but is it good to play him, Howson and Hoolahan against a physical side? Not so sure.
Think we''ll miss Grabban''s movement, Jerome doesn''t offer that and it''s seemed to cause the scum problems both times this season.
Basically I can''t make my mind up on the team.

Sorry, missed this thread:

So what do we go with then? We have headaches everywhere but goalie in my book.

Ruddy in goal but then a back 4 of Olsson, Bassong, Martin and then one of Whittaker, R Bennett or E Bennett, what do we go with? I can see away from home against the long ball threat of Ipoo us going with R Bennett with Martin in at right back.

In midfield, i''d like to see us go with Tettey, Johnno, Howson, Dorrans and Redmond. Howson and Dorrans pushing on with Tettey sitting.

Up top i''d stick Cam Jam in first game. Plow a lone furrow and hope he''s having one of his better games.

Then impact from the bench can come via Wes, Hooper and maybe Whittaker if we need to shore up things further. Vadis, Rudd, O''Neil and E Bennett to make up the other bench options.

If Whittaker is fit he''ll play. AN has built his success on a settled back 4 and he isn''t going to change it for the play-offs if he can avoid it.

Although i think Dorrans is a classy operator I''d probably leave him on the bench and have Redmond in.

Jerome upfront.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]Sorry, missed this thread:

So what do we go with then? We have headaches everywhere but goalie in my book.

Ruddy in goal but then a back 4 of Olsson, Bassong, Martin and then one of Whittaker, R Bennett or E Bennett, what do we go with? I can see away from home against the long ball threat of Ipoo us going with R Bennett with Martin in at right back.

In midfield, i''d like to see us go with Tettey, Johnno, Howson, Dorrans and Redmond. Howson and Dorrans pushing on with Tettey sitting.

Up top i''d stick Cam Jam in first game. Plow a lone furrow and hope he''s having one of his better games.

Then impact from the bench can come via Wes, Hooper and maybe Whittaker if we need to shore up things further. Vadis, Rudd, O''Neil and E Bennett to make up the other bench options.[/quote]

Don''t think we have massive problems it''s just who best to go with in a couple of areas. At RB, if the 1p5wich winger is pacy I''d go with RM instead of Whitts especially if not fully fit, so RB and Basso at CM (is Turner available as sub?).

Midfield the question for me is whether we start with Hoolahan or Redmond - to start with both would be very attacking.

Up Front there''s no doubt we go with Jerome if fit. Yes he lacks Grabbans movement but his strength and power give us a long ball out and he puts any defence under pressure.

Ruddy

E. Bennett R. Bennett Bassong Olsen

Dorrans Tettey

Howson    Redmond   Johnson

Jerome

My thoughts are;

GK - Ruddy

RB - E Bennett

CB - Martin

CB - Bassong

LB - Olsson

Holding Mid - Tettey

RM - Dorrans

CM - Howson

LM - Johnson

No. 10 - Hoolahan

CF - Jerome

Bench:

Rudd

Wittaker (if fit, if not then O’Neil)

R Bennett

VOO

Redmond

Hooper

Loza

If no injuries and to pile on the pressure, take off Dorrans bring on Whits, move Benno into right midfield, then take off Tettey move Howson back in front of back four, move Johnno into centre midfield and put Redmond on the left and finally to spring a surprise, I would change Hoolahan for Loza, not Hooper as I believe Loza can run at them with pace and some trickery, plus he knows where the goal is as much as Hooper does, but this one is a tough call.

Elliot bennett had 1 game against a quite frankly terrible fulham side, Id stick with martin/Whittaker.

Ruddy

Whittaker Martin Bassong Olsson

Tettey Dorrans

Redmond Howson Johnson

Hooper

Think hoolahan will keep his spot but personal preference I prefer Howson in that lineup.

redmond a been quality of late and provides something completely different in terms of width and direct threat.

[quote user="Its Character Forming"]  At RB, if the 1p5wich winger is pacy I''d go with RM instead of Whitts especially if not fully fit,  [/quote]

Why?

Martin always struggles against pace.

[quote user="Ray"]My thoughts are;

GK - Ruddy

RB - E Bennett

CB - Martin

CB - Bassong

LB - Olsson

Holding Mid - Tettey

RM - Dorrans

CM - Howson

LM - Johnson

No. 10 - Hoolahan

CF - Jerome

Bench:

Rudd

Wittaker (if fit, if not then O’Neil)

R Bennett

VOO

Redmond

Hooper

Loza

If no injuries and to pile on the pressure, take off Dorrans bring on Whits, move Benno into right midfield, then take off Tettey move Howson back in front of back four, move Johnno into centre midfield and put Redmond on the left and finally to spring a surprise, I would change Hoolahan for Loza, not Hooper as I believe Loza can run at them with pace and some trickery, plus he knows where the goal is as much as Hooper does, but this one is a tough call.[/quote]

Any team that can afford to leave the likes of Redmond, Hooper and O''Neil on the bench should already be in the PL and not be facing the lottery of play offs.The barren spell under poor old Adams has cost us dearly.

BroadstairsR,

I tend to agree, just shows the depth of the squad, one which as you say, should probably already be in the Prem, but sh*t happens and NCFC (any section of it, players, fans, management, etc.) don''t control the world but do control the way they think about it. So as is mentioned in another thread, it is now a mental thing.

The winners will probably be the team that has the greatest belief they will win, because they both no doubt think they can. It''s about understanding the part the brain (mindset) plays. Hopefully MM is telling his players what he doesn''t want them to do (e.g. don''t let him inside, etc.) and AN is telling ours what he does want them to do (keep him outside) it makes a massive difference to the message the subconscious recives and subsequent physical performance.

agree that the depth of squad should have meant our season was already over - it isnt and we have done well to recover to the second best option.

My only point is that is was not just about the Adams spell; after he left this squad DID get into a position where finishing in the top two was in our hands - we worked hard to get into that position but failed to take our chances (wigan, boro, rotherham).

This IS last chance saloon and the squad have to step up to delivering to their ability, when it matters now.

As to the team, with elliott at RB if Whits is injured, I would go. Our stengths are our goal threat and work effort, the weak spot the inconsistency across our back four,especially at cb - but the best four are the team formed since Feb.

Ruddy

Whits Martin Bassong Olsson

Tettey

Howson Wessi Dorrans BJ

Jerome

Lots of people suggesting Elliott Bennett at right back.  For such an important game, we need experienced players in all positions.  Yes, he did very well against Fulham, but Saturday is not the game to be taking a gamble, especially when you could play Martin there and Ryan Bennett or Michael Turner at centre back if Whitaker isn''t fit.

Up front, we need Wes firing on all cylinders and I think Hooper plays better with Wes feeding him.  I suspect though that Jerome will start, to cope better with Berra and Smith, who are physical, but slow.