Sign in to follow this  
ViewfromtheJarrold

Russell Martin new 3 year contract! JOKE!

[quote user="tellitasitis"]why did he get an ironic cheer from fans around me against Arsenal when he slid on the ground to kick a ball out for a throw in? I will tell, BECAUSE HE GOT HIS KNEES DIRTY, not bad considering it was the LAST game of the season.[/quote]

Funny, I always thought the point of football was to stay on your feet......and you can''t run after an attacker or get into a good position while you''re lying on the ground.........perhaps you would be better off watching Rugby if you want to see dirty knees ?  [:^)]

ViewfromtheJarrold,

Once again you do appear to be in a very small (one) minority, but may be you have a far better insight into the game than the rest, including but not limited to, Lambert, Hughton, Adams, Neil and Strachan.

To pick one area where IMO I believe your thinking is flawed; if a player runs alongside an attacker rather than jump in with a tackle, it''s because that is the best thing to do, jumping in and missing the tackle or being beaten means the attacker is through on the keeper, if he shepherds him that allows other defenders to get into position and stops the attacker causing too much damage.

Pointing is part of what a captain should be doing, marshalling the troops, that''s what a good captain does. Also he has the best pass completion % in our current defence and they ar not all sideways.

Yes he makes the occasional mistake, they all do, even the Man City & Chelsea defenders do that.

Finally, you use the word lucrative, how do you know that?

Interesting if you read the thread on the press conference posted by "Morty", you will see Seb''s comment on how he likes playing with Russell as he is a "leader" and easy to understand.... maybe Seb is back to his best as he is playing alongside RM as opposed to Turner or other ?

say no more !

Say no more !! sorry didnt realise you got the final say, I never said I wanted to see him dive in did I , I said it would be nice to see him make a tackle, or even a block, he runs alongside a winger and constantly allows crosses into the box, that is not good defending ! pointing around the pitch does not make you a leader or captain, maybe if he concentrated on his own game he wouldnt get caught out so often, best pass rate, my granny could pass a football 10 yards to a midfielder who has come short looking for it, his pass rate should be near the 100%, its not like he is in the middle of the park under pressure trying to thread a ball through to a striker !

Yes Martin is picked for his national team.. Scotland. Name a decent Scottish defender he is keeping out of the team, they play Fletcher up front who has 7 goals in 44 games for his club... now its time to say no more !

Being new i hope my view won''t be instantly dismissed?? Russell Martin was a decent full back and provided acceptable cover as a centre half, however it is clearly not his best position and i feel that with Ryan Bennett fit again (for a week or 2 at least) he would be the better option. That being said, given where we are and how things stand it would probablybe best not to change too much as it seems to be working!!

View from the Jarrold appears to have an ally in Tellitasitis and i expect they both hated Gary Doherty as well, but when you reach a crucial point of the season as we have i think it is time to pull together and back the whole squad. I am sure that if we get promotion then Russell Martin will not be a first choice centre back or even full back but as i said he provides decent cover - nothing more!!OTBC

tellitasitis,

IMO you are not living up to your name, RM plays 6.1 long balls per game, SB, 3.8, do you really not see some of the long cross field balls he plays? As for running alongside a winger, firstly he is currently and has been for a while playing at CB, but that aside, if he or any full back tackles too early he gets beaten and the winger crosses, of course the winger sometimes gets a cross in, that''s what they are paid to do!

Turning to blocks, as you brought it up, he makes 33% more blocks per game than SB. When it comes to tackles, SB makes 0.9 per game and RM makes 0.8,

You can say what you like about your Granny, but he still has the best pass completeion % than any other regular defender and that includes the long balls, which by definition are more likely to go astray.

On top of all that he has 5 assists and 2 goals, SB has 0 and 0, RM also hits 3 times as many key passes when compared to SB.

I''m not saying all the above makes either of them a good or not so good a player, but it helps understanding when it comes to WHY he has been given a new 3 year deal. Maybe when we go up we may splash the cash and buy a couple of top flight CB''s but the two we have are not that far behind. Remember those that play for the big prem clubs also have far less to do because their midfield is also of a superior quality and provide greater cover.

Also, you may find that the players are 100% behind having RM as their captain, which should tell you a lot.

Anyhow, it''s all irrelevant as the club have given him the deal, so job done.

Tellitasitis, have you just opened a new account as Watling eye?The syntax and punctuation of your posts are extremely similar.

I think it is just because we can both writ proper??!! I am not sure i actually agree with all that tellitasitis says but i am impressed with all the stats you have come out with! We can discuss the merits of RM all day (and it appears we may just do that) but i am just hoping for 3 pts Saturday, if RM scores the winner i expect View & tell will be as happy as the rest of us!!!!!

At least its taken the heat off Ruddy -a hero in my eyes!!! 

[quote user="morty"]Tellitasitis, have you just opened a new account as Watling eye?The syntax and punctuation of your posts are extremely similar.[/quote]

Exactly what I was just thinking. Why would anyone do that? [:|]

[quote user="Ray"]tellitasitis,

IMO you are not living up to your name, RM plays 6.1 long balls per game, SB, 3.8, do you really not see some of the long cross field balls he plays? As for running alongside a winger, firstly he is currently and has been for a while playing at CB, but that aside, if he or any full back tackles too early he gets beaten and the winger crosses, of course the winger sometimes gets a cross in, that''s what they are paid to do!

Turning to blocks, as you brought it up, he makes 33% more blocks per game than SB. When it comes to tackles, SB makes 0.9 per game and RM makes 0.8,

You can say what you like about your Granny, but he still has the best pass completeion % than any other regular defender and that includes the long balls, which by definition are more likely to go astray.

On top of all that he has 5 assists and 2 goals, SB has 0 and 0, RM also hits 3 times as many key passes when compared to SB.

I''m not saying all the above makes either of them a good or not so good a player, but it helps understanding when it comes to WHY he has been given a new 3 year deal. Maybe when we go up we may splash the cash and buy a couple of top flight CB''s but the two we have are not that far behind. Remember those that play for the big prem clubs also have far less to do because their midfield is also of a superior quality and provide greater cover.

Also, you may find that the players are 100% behind having RM as their captain, which should tell you a lot.

Anyhow, it''s all irrelevant as the club have given him the deal, so job done.[/quote]

This.

[quote user="quentin fulcher"][quote user="morty"]Tellitasitis, have you just opened a new account as Watling eye?The syntax and punctuation of your posts are extremely similar.[/quote]

Exactly what I was just thinking. Why would anyone do that? [:|][/quote]Its what people do, its Olympic grade ballbaggery, but its just what happens here.

Agree with Bor Bor Bor, Rusell is a model professional, good captain and team captain and he epitomises everything which is wonderful about our club.

Really pleased for him and us.

If he was a faultless defender, he''d be at a bigger club then us. As it is, he has been a cracking signing for us and is more than adequate for what we need from him. If hope if we went up, we''d buy a quality cb to challenge him for his place though.

At last some support in the name of Tellitasitis!Realism has been blinded by the fact he is a jolly good fella!We are aiming to get to the Premier League......Who here would really be happy with him as our first choice Centre Back in the Premier League???????Deluded!

It''s not a valid question unless his contract states "I will be first choice centre back."  Do you know that it does?  What''s that?  No, you don''t?  Well, shut up then.

[quote user="ViewfromtheJarrold"]Answer a question with a question?I repeat who would be happy with him as a first choice centre back in Premier League?[/quote]So you have solid info that if we get to the Premier league, he will be one of Alex Neil''s first choice centre backs?You''re making a fuss about something that hasn''t happened.He has proven himself a good enough right back at Premiership standard, and a centre back at International standard.

I''ll put it out there...
I fully expect us to strengthen in defence if we get promoted. However, even if we do I have no problem in Martin being first choice CB. Why? Because of the stats listed previously, and because if he''s being picked ahead of the likes of Turner, Bennett, Cuellar and Co - it''s probably because a team of professionals who watch these players train every day think he''s the best out of them.
It''s also worth noting as Philip stated earlier that it''s not just about the individual players abilities, but how they fit into a certain type of playing style or formation.

in Gods name why would I open another account, I clearly don''t mind saying what I think and going against the grain.

some of you on here have far too much time to sit and ponder !! you are no Miss Marple are !!!

The stato on here has come up with numerous stats on how RM is better than Seb, begs the question why he SB was wanted by the team 3rd in the div and recalled by the team 2nd yet RM has never been linked away from CR.

Get over the whole, he''s a decent bloke, he is Mr Norwich it is pathetic, do you want a team of vicars or something?

He says the right thing and keeps his head down because he knows he is lucky to be where he is.

Anyway lets just hope that RM is on that open top bus with thousands of us applauding him, if that happens then we will ALL be happy, only time will tell after that

Lets cut to the chase, did Russel Martin nob your wife or kick your dog or something?

[quote user="Bor Bor Bor"]It''s not a valid question unless his contract states "I will be first choice centre back."  Do you know that it does?  What''s that?  No, you don''t?  Well, shut up then.
[/quote]Oh dear Bor(ing) Bor(ing) Bor(ing) does the big bad man VFTJ no agree with you??? Why don''t you scweam and scweam and scweam and stamp your feet and cwy and shout at the big nasty poster...SHUT UP THEN! Get a life you loser!I never have said that his contract states he will be first choice, I simply ask the questions Will you be happy if he is? - He might be or He might not be BUT I would suggest that a 3 year contract, which is more than likely to be with improved conditions, would lend to the fact that he would be!We are, and should be planning to play in the EPL next season, and if that is the case RM would not be in my team and without doubt he would not be my captain.This ''He''s a good guy attitude'' is the sort of attitude that gave Lee Croft player of the season one year and allowed Darryl Sutch to player 200 too many games for us.  We need winners and leaders everytime over nice guys!Bor(ing) Bor(ing Bor(ing) I would suggest your internet time is over for the day and you should get your ovaltine and head to bed...Its a big term next term it will be time for your 11plus exams!!

did Martin *** my wife ? sorry morty I can''t think of the 3 letter word you are referring to. and I don''t have a dog, anyway if he kicked it I would expect to find it somewhere wide of where he was aiming.

Did anybody else notice how ''Tellitasitis'' replied to Ray''s post which was directed at ''Viewfromthejarrold''... Perhaps forgot to log out of one account and in to the other. Deary me, I do pity him.

Equally, there is nothing to suggest that Norwich will be in the premiership next season, nor is there anything to suggest that Russell Martin will be first choice in that said Norwich side. Yes, typically a new contract offers equal or better terms, but you''d very rarely (intact, I doubt there is even such a thing) that states he must play, regardless of whether or not he has a new or improved contract... I suspect he signed the contract having be made fully aware that he must earn his place in the side and perhaps, just maybe, he fancied the challenge of doing that.

tellitasitis,

I quote you;

"The stato on here has come up with numerous stats on how RM is better than Seb, begs the question why he SB was wanted by the team 3rd in the div and recalled by the team 2nd yet RM has never been linked away from CR."

This quote shows how little you know, whilst it may not have been made public, there have been many Prem clubs interested but the player himself has never followed up on the interest, which says a lot about him and his professionalism, which is probably why it hasn''t been made public and you don''t know about it.

He could have been playing Prem league this year for a number of teams but chose not to, that''s loyalty, loyalty that gets rewarded and the stas probably indicate why SB was only wanted by a Championship club.

Did anybody else notice how ''Tellitasitis'' replied to Ray''s post which

was directed at ''Viewfromthejarrold''... Perhaps forgot to log out of one

account and in to the other. Deary me, I do pity him.[:)]

tellitasitis,

Again to quote you;

"some of you on here have far too much time to sit and ponder"

IMO you may be judging others by your own mental ability (a dangerous thing to do) it may just be that some of us think at a quicker pace (and in more depth) than you do?

Accepting this is possible I am not criticing you for that, that''s life some might say, however I will criticise you for being judgemental.

Ray pls enlighten us all to your inside knowledge, RM turned down prem clubs, name them, they didnt follow up for a reason and if you think he stayed because he loves Norwich you are deluded, maybe he did not want to be a bench warmer in the prem, which is what he should be at best.

I love the fascination with me also posting as someone else.. really ? and the point of that would be?

maybe RM is **** ing my wife because he has had enough of you lot lapping him up !!!