Sign in to follow this  
ec-p

Redmond to Southampton

According to the Daily Mirror, Southampton are reviving their interest in Redmond. I guess any transfer would depend on which division we are. Wish he was more consistent, on his day he is brilliant. If we fail to go up I expect he will leave, bring on the Binners at home. Otbc!

I''d take the money and run.

Still not doing enough on a regular basis.

Hardly ever tried to take on the full back on Saturday.

Bags of pace, skill and potential but still not consistent enough, although he probably has improved this season.

It''s frustrating because there''s a great player in there somewhere but we hardly ever see him.

I would take £8 he is hopeless. Doesn''t run at people in one on one situations, can''t cross, can''t shoot. In fact he can''t do much at all.

He is another headless chicken winger that is a symptom of the English scouting system. Scouts believing that they can turn great athletic ability into a footballer. They can''t! Being able to see out of the corner of your eye a run and then place the ball on the end of that run is something you are born with or not.

He does not have it and never will have!

His potential is a good as Sterling''s (and he seems to be less of a liability professionally ) , the figures quoted for Sterling are astronomical ! I think if Redmond had as much game time as Sterling and he played to his full potential he would be worth a small fortune.

Sterling who is an England starter, playing for Liverpool, scores goals and gets lots of assists?

Redmond has played more first team games than Sterling, and yet he is still regarded as having "potential". He''s not doing the business on a regular basis, therefore if someone offers upwards of £8m I would happily consider it.

You could say he always looks brilliant for U21''s - Is that because the quality of footballer is less than those playing in the Championship? I would say so..

He should be killing it in the championship if he''s suited for PL, surely?

I would argue that he doesn''t fit in to our formation/play and therefore will need to move to further himself - which will free us up to get the right players wide - Dorrans not the answer so far though.

Personally would rather Hoolahan over Redmond in the starting 11, but prefer to see him centre - so awkward puzzle to sort out that.

He has a cutting edge that none of our other players offer. He is still young so still inconsistent but especially if we go up, he''ll be vital. We will have less possession if we go up so we need people like Redmond to make our attacks count.

If we stay down, it wouldn''t be a disaster if he left. We''d be more possession based and controlling the game, something that isn''t really Redmonds bag. We''d build around the solid 4 of Tettey, Howson, Johnson and Dorrans and go from there I think.

It does pi$$ me off how quickly some of our supporters are to want ship out our players. It was only a few months ago that a several on here were advocating getting rid of Johnson when a possible bid was muted.
We have a decent squad which has got us to third in the league and with a real chance of going up. They can''t be that bad surely!? The point is where would we find better for the money? It wouldn''t be easy.
Personally I''d happily transfer out some of our support. 

When I first saw Redmond play my initial thought was that we''d landed £20 million of potential. Now I''ll admit that my assessment was enthusiastic (to say the least), however I think his overall performance has improved and will improve further.

Whilst I can understand why people are frustrated at his inconsistency  I can''t help but feel that if we sold him, he''d go on to have a couple of blinding seasons leaving us to wonder why we let him go.

He still has 3 full years left on his contract - defo keep him for ar least another 12 months - would want £10M to shift him

Thinking about this again, like Spurs they play narrow packing the midfield wiith overlapping full backs

He would not get a game, just a bench warmer - no needs to stay with us no matter what league we in

I still believe that Redmond''s biggest problem was courtesy of playing in a Hughton team for too long. This isn''t an opportunity to take a dig at Hughton but to address where I think it comes from.

Redmond SLOWS our attacks down. We have the fastest player on the pitch that will consistently, stop, give the rest of the defence time to settle in their positions, and then try to beat his man with a few stepovers and get a cross in to a packed box. He''s like the anti Aaron Lennon who used to just leg it and hit the ball first time hoping someone was in there.

For Redmond to fulfill his potential, he is going to need to strike the (very) fine balance of when to attack at full pelt and when to hold up and wait. Not hold up nearly every time.

I''m in the camp of we have a very good player (potentially) but am also of the opinion that unless this is realised fairly soon, we will be best placed to switch for someone that can be the player we need, not that player in a few years'' time.

There''s no denying he''s got talent, but whether we can hold onto that or it is realised in time for us to benefit remains to be seen.

He could be a really decent player, but often doesn''t actually make our own starting XI so that surely tells us something either about our style of play or him as a player - maybe both.

If we don''t go up it seems likely he''ll leave so it would be up to us to get as much for him as we can - IMO there''d definitely be more important players for us to try to keep hold of - but we should still very much have the PL In our sights and not be thinking about who may or may not come in or leave.

Totally agree with the first part of this, part of football coaching is to try and create 1 on 1 situations in a football match and then to get at the man in these situations.

Saturday was a perfect example of what is wrong with redmond. He was played the ball in front of him and with a defender making backtracking to stay goal side while Ipswich were pressed up to near the half way line. This created a perfect opportunity for Redmond to just play the ball past him and get on his bike as the defender would have needed to turn and try to recover.

Redmond should have gone straight at him and been clear through. However he stopped the ball and then faced up to the defender to wait for support.

He does this time and time again on the edge of the box, most the time deciding to pass to whittacker behind him. He should be getting at the man into the box as the defender will be dreading this situation and having to make a tackle in the box.

He is a poor footballer or one low on confidence.

I wouldn''t want us to sell Redmond just yet. He worries defences. His end product has improved and will carry on doing so. A marvellous option, whether as a starter or from the bench. He is consistently the stand out performer when he plays for England Youth. That is telling, so maybe AN can bring that standard out of him before next season.Besides, I am sure that Birmingham must have a considerable sell-on clause so financially it wouldn''t make sense to me as NA''s value is sure to rise IMO.

People can''t have it both ways. At one time he was a headless chicken, charging in and hitting mostly wayward shots and people said he needed to calm down amd start being more accurate with crosses etc. He did that, but now to me looks to have gone too far the other way.  Maybe he listens too much to others and needs to just forget what anyone says and just go out there and express himself - as he does for the U21''s.     We all know he has the ability, maybe its just time for him to say right, this is it, I''m going to do it the way I think best.  If he does that in a positive way, the rest will take care of itself.

[quote user="Wes Hooly Fan"]I''d take the money and run.

Still not doing enough on a regular basis.

Hardly ever tried to take on the full back on Saturday.

Bags of pace, skill and potential but still not consistent enough, although he probably has improved this season.

It''s frustrating because there''s a great player in there somewhere but we hardly ever see him.[/quote]Agree with all this. He was so frustrating on Saturday.When he first came to Carrow Rd I thought " How can a guy this good be playing for us ? " but he''s nowhere near consistent enough. It''s strange how he can turn it on at international but not club level.If someone''s going to offer silly money then I''d take it like a shot.

Redmond''s been here for 2 years and has yet to impress if we fail to go up we should sell him for as much as possible. We already have a more effective right sided midfielder in the squad who is more than the continuing potential of Redmond. Vadis who has been unavailable all year can replace Redmond and prove to be more effective, see his goals when playing for Bruges. Even if we go up Redmond should be replaced with a more reliable option.

Redmond is still only 21 so it''s a bit soon to write him off. Since we''re still in a recovery phase from the reigns of our previous two managers, it would be wise to try and keep him to see how he develops under a better manager. A lesson should have been learned from writing off players such as Chris Martin, and Redmond has the potential to be a class above.

I agree with Matt Juler - Redmond doesn''t appear to have the sharpest mind does he?

Anyone with his talent who is capable of listening to a coach would be a world-beater by now!...

I am not a Redmond fan - I verbally show as much when at the football.

But even I was surprised to read he has contributed 12 assists this season... I thought it was nearer 4 before ''googling'' his stats.

His return, judging by the stats has actually been quite good. Plus he''s home-grown. If we could keep him for another season, we should, because of fairplay rules be able to demand £20 million for him. I know this sounds crazy, and I wouldn''t pay a quarter of that for him if I was a club but... he''s English, he''s home grown, he''s young and he''ll fill the quota needed shortly in the Premier League.

Like it or not, I think Mings played Redmond well on Saturday, closing him down, good anticipation and tackling, yes a bit of holding too but less than many of the scum players. I noticed more than once when Redmond tried to go past Mings and lost the ball. So as the game wore on, he was trying to approach it differently rather than just repeating, which strikes me as not stupid.

When we were effective down the right on Saturday it was when Redmond was able to take on another 1p5wich defender e.g when he was able to take the ball inside and shoot for one of our better chances, or was able to lay the ball on for Whittaker on the outside etc, either way cutting Mings out of the game. People act like Redmond should be able to waltz past any defender he''s up against, it''s not that simple.

I just had to dust off my password for this forum because of this thread. How can it get to the second page without anyone pointing out the fact Redmond is 3rd in the assist table in the Championship. That isn''t a bad return for someone "with potential"

http://www.teamtalk.com/championship/top-assists

Bar a couple of games he has been 19 and 20 years old in a Norwich shirt.

He''s an England U21 international.

Alex Neil rates and trusts him.

I think we should cut the kid some slack and back him to the hilt.

CC - if he''s just turned 21 I''m surprised. I''ve seen significant improvement this season. He tends to weigh up the options rather than just running headlong to try to beat the full-back. Sometimes this does mean "holding the play up" but you can''t have it both ways. He''s getting better at playing the simple ball sometimes, which makes his overall contribution more effective because he''s less predictable.

Saturday was a good example where he was up against a very good full-back who he struggled to beat one-on-one - by working well with Whitts he still gave us a significant attacking threat down the right and created quite a few chances. People being ridiculously harsh IMO.