Sign in to follow this  
Keith Scott

Hull City

Anybody noticed similarities between their current season with our last one in the premier league? The inability to halt the poor form from the last few months of their previous season bleeding into the next, despite exciting summer signings, including a big money striker of whom much was expected but has delivered next to nothing. The lack of goals. The nightmare run of fixtures in the last few games. The awful 1-0 home defeat in (on paper at least) their most winnable fixture, which looks to have all but guaranteed their relegation. Hope i''m wrong though as I would love to see Newcastle get relegated, then their fans would really have something to moan about.

Think Hull have gone now to be honest. Tough fixtures remaining.

£42.6m spent in the last 2 transfer windows is not a very good return.

Snoddgrass injured all season, Ince signing hasnt worked. Not enough goals from Hernandez & Jelavic.

Any team relying on Alex Bruce and Paul McShane will struggle at this level.

Feel for Snoddy that he never got to play, he may have made the crucial difference with a few free kicks etc. Would rather Villa or Newcastle go down but it looks certain to be Hull bar a miracle.

Hull look doomed. That''s what you get when you sell out to some rich maniac dodgy businessman. No sympathy whatsoever.

You couldnt be more wrong. They didnt sell out. The allam family are Hull through and through. They have poured money not just into the club but into the whole city. Half of the University was built through Allams money. The only thing you see is that he wants to change the name and assume he is a bad guy. He bought the club for £1 because of the huge debt he was taking on. He probably stopped them from falling down a couple of leagues and who knows perhaps going into administration.

[quote user="Henners1991"]You couldnt be more wrong. They didnt sell out. The allam family are Hull through and through. They have poured money not just into the club but into the whole city. Half of the University was built through Allams money. The only thing you see is that he wants to change the name and assume he is a bad guy. He bought the club for £1 because of the huge debt he was taking on. He probably stopped them from falling down a couple of leagues and who knows perhaps going into administration.[/quote]Not down yet, Tottenham have not been great last few games and West Brom beat Man Ure a couple of games ago.Keep the faith, as with Leicester and Viler it just takes a spark sometimes to turn your form around or to play crap, get a couple of lucky deflections and win like Sunderland did at Everton.

Regardless, they still sold their soul. I''m just a bit jealous in a way though as we''ve never had a load of money thrown at us or any bailouts. It annoys me to see badly run clubs bailed out and then see them overtake us.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]Regardless, they still sold their soul. I''m just a bit jealous in a way though as we''ve never had a load of money thrown at us or any bailouts. It annoys me to see badly run clubs bailed out and then see them overtake us.[/quote]I don''t agree with that. They did what they had to do to keep their club going. Allam took on the debt. It''s not like they took the administration route.I know dirty businessman have a bad name in this day and age, especially if they''re foreign. Allam is neither dirty, nor foreign. In fact he is a local business person who saw it as an opportunity to keep a local club afloat. Sound familiar?IMO, the only reason he gets slated with the bad owner brush is his ideas on renaming the club.

[quote user="The ghost of Michael Theoklitos"]IMO, the only reason he gets slated with the bad owner brush is his ideas on renaming the club.[/quote]

That is enough reason.  Changing something for no good reason is just someone trying to put their stamp on the club with no regard for tradition or history of the club.  We are always going to be the canaries, just as Hull could be the tigers, but to change the name to "Norwich Canaries" which is similar to what "Hull Tigers" would be, would be met with almost universal dismay amongst our supporters too.  We are "Norwich City" and "The Canaries" and the two names live happily side by side. So too can the names  "Hull City" and "The Tigers".  Not all change is good or done for the right reasons. Ask cardiff.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]Regardless, they still sold their soul. I''m just a bit jealous in a way though as we''ve never had a load of money thrown at us or any bailouts. It annoys me to see badly run clubs bailed out and then see them overtake us.[/quote]Oh get a grip.I actually quite like Hull, I rate Bruce and I like the way he sets his teams up for the most part, he knows when to get them to mix it, and when to get them to get the ball down and play.They have been seriously unlucky with injuries this season - which has robbed them of fielding perhaps their best side more often than not. The only arguable mistake was selling Shane Long, but even then he is not exactly prolific, otherwise much of last seasons squad was retained and added to.It''s just further evidence that the premier league is a harsh league and is unrelenting and unforgiving.QPR on the other hand, when you have professionals saying the same things as the fans, that''s something else. But then QPR has been like that from even before their recent owner. They have tried to buy their way into the premier league and so far failed at each attempt to stay there.

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="The ghost of Michael Theoklitos"]IMO, the only reason he gets slated with the bad owner brush is his ideas on renaming the club.[/quote]

That is enough reason.  Changing something for no good reason is just someone trying to put their stamp on the club with no regard for tradition or history of the club.  We are always going to be the canaries, just as Hull could be the tigers, but to change the name to "Norwich Canaries" which is similar to what "Hull Tigers" would be, would be met with almost universal dismay amongst our supporters too.  We are "Norwich City" and "The Canaries" and the two names live happily side by side. So too can the names  "Hull City" and "The Tigers".  Not all change is good or done for the right reasons. Ask cardiff. [/quote]So, what would you rather have. A club with a slightly different name, or no club. I take your point - and I do agree with you to a certain extent. But if I had the choice between having someone come in and saving us from going out backwards - but renaming us to "Norwich Canaries", I''d take that any day over having no club.In the end, he lost out and wasn''t allowed to rename the club. Cardiff are now back playing in Blue. Perhaps owners are learning from their mistakes not to alienate the people who come through the turnstiles?

Interesting fact about Hull City is that the local council bought the KC Stadium for them. I wish a few more councils would see how important their local team was to the community, even if they are in the lower leagues.

At this moment in time we have to consider te possibility of us not going up and therefore we need prefer the conceived weaker of the threatened sidesI would like to see Newcastle except for the fact that, once they get their act together, they will be the strongest and, like us, probably the favourites if they are in the chumps next season. Hull for me then.

The Hull Stadium looks like a council-backed affair; I remember wandering across the park there to see Hughton''s clueless Norwich unable to beat 10 men. That was a sign of things to come!

Hull have got free Wi-Fi inside though. Which is nice...

Heh, i was probably a bit harsh on them to be fair!

I just saw the story about Ramirez being injured and it mentioned Diame!

I completely forgot about him, what a player!

If they come down with the likes of Snodgrass and Diame in their side, they could do some real damage!

That is the challenge with rich owners who see the club as their possession and will do with it what they wish. Look at Cardiff Dragons as another example. And the same fans who want the owner to invest millions on players are typically the same fans who want who want "their club" left alone.

It is bizarre that fans see wealthy owners as benevolent Santa Claus style figures who will throw money at the team but respect the traditions and history of the club, but little in football support is rational.

We are lucky to have the owners we have.

Even early on this season i had a funny feeling they would come down,many similarities with us in our relegation season. I think they will reflect upon the sale of Shane Long and the injury to Snodgrass. Not beyond the bounds of possibility we would get him back if we went up, although after such a bad injury its anyones guess how he will be able to bounce back