Sign in to follow this  
Lessingham Canary

Team for home leg ?

Personally i would like to see us take hold of this game at Carrow Road from the first minute, don''t really want the lottery of penalties, and certainly don''t want them sneaking a lucky goal and getting their noses in front, so whats the best line up for the job ?

Mine would be (won''t mess with back 4, too risky imo)

****************** Ruddy **************************

Whitts **** Martin **** Bassong *** Olsson

Tettey, ******Howson ***** Johnston

************* Hoolahan ****************

***** Hooper **** Jerome *******

Reasoning is Wes always pays better with 2 strikers ahead of him, so Dorrans and Redmond on the bench, which does leave the conundrum of Mings, but feel they should be more worried about us, than us worry about them, over to you ?

Ruddy

Whittaker R Bennett Bassong Olsson

Tettey

Howson Johnson

Hoolahan

Jerome Hooper

But suspect Martin and Dorrans will be in for Bennett and Hooper. Can''t see even Neil not starting Wes on Saturday.

I thought we looked good when Redmond moved into the no. 10 spot in the second half, his movement was good and he added some creativity.

What was surprising was that when Wes came on and played loosely on the left we looked even more creative.

Yes Wes lost the ball, and yes some of his passes seemed wild, but maybe only because no one had made the right run. It seemed rather luxurious, but it was a lot closer to "the beautiful game" than the single tactic of the men in blue.

Why are there no English teams in the latter stages of the European Cups? Because the European teams are 10 years ahead of us. They must have spluttered Sangria all down their white shirts at the thought that a team can have a chance of getting into the Premiership with Hoofball.

The sad fact is that even those at the top of the Prem often play Hoofball too, but when someone like Van Persie brings the longball down and scores it is called a brilliant goal.

Midfield is the question, and the balance of creativity and shield.

Only two players did enough to keep their place, tettey was controlling while Redmond provided the only real consiatent threat in the game. It would be harsh to drop him.

Wes for dorrans changed nothing yest, while howson was excellent first half while quite second. BJ was disapppintingly quiet and poor and most seserving to be dropped.

Ruddy

Whittaker martin. Bassong. Olsson

Tettey

Redmond howson dorrans bj

Jerome

Same team as yesterday but with one defensive midfielder and our other centre midfielders further up the pitch, particularly Dorrans who should be feeding off Jerome & vice versa.
Essentially. the team ZLF just posted.

Bor- are you saying a 41311 formation, with Dorrans in the ''10'' role?

If so, genuine question, why him above Hoolahan in that role?

With the amount at stake in this game maybe its the time to stick with what you know. However sometimes big decisions are the difference between greatness and mediocre. Therefore I would play what I consider the best team to cope with the Ipswich direct play from defence to attack and play our best players to try and dominate the ball on the ground.

I truly believe we are a superior team and as such we should play our best players in this game. We may not have that luxury in a few seasons if we don''t make it count right now.

Therefore I would go for:

Ruddy

Whittacker Bennett Bassong Olsson

Dorrans Tettey Howson Johnson

Hoolahan

Jerome

Hooper as an impact sub!

OTBC

I think it will be this:

-------------------Ruddy--------------------

Whittaker--Martin--Bassong--Olsson

--------------------Tettey-------------------

Redmond--Howson--Hooly--Johnson

--------------------Jerome------------------

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]Midfield is the question, and the balance of creativity and shield.

Only two players did enough to keep their place, tettey was controlling while Redmond provided the only real consiatent threat in the game. It would be harsh to drop him.

Wes for dorrans changed nothing yest, while howson was excellent first half while quite second. BJ was disapppintingly quiet and poor and most seserving to be dropped.

Ruddy

Whittaker martin. Bassong. Olsson

Tettey

Redmond howson dorrans bj

Jerome[/quote]

Sorry but I really don;t understand how you can say that Wes for Dorrans changed nothing?

I though that after Wes came on we finally got a grip of the second half, kept the ball a lot better and from that point onwards looked the only team likely to win. Ok we didn''t create masses but as always we do not keep the ball as well without Wes in the side and against this Ipswich side keeping the ball and knocking it around is the way to go.

Too much worrying about them in the first leg and not enough concentrating on our own abilities. if we play our best players we can out football them. When we actually knock it around they can''t get near us. For me that means Wes and Redmond start and possibly also Hooper. I''d also like Bennett ahead of Martin but don''t see him doing that at this stage.

Ruddy

Whitaker Martin Bassong Olsson

Howson Tettey Johnson

Redmond Jerome/Hooper Hoolahan

We know what Wes can do to them - he HAS to start for me. As Dean Ashton said on Sky moments a go, he could be key for us at home and I totally agree - he loves playing them.

I suspect none of us would wish the game to be decided on penalties which, I assume, will be Ipswich''s tactics. Wes has to start on Saturday if we''re serious about taking the game to Ipswich.

There is some rubbish posted on this thread. Wes must start on Saturday he is the most creative player in our squad. The only other change would be Ryan Bennett for Martin, Bennet is a better header of the high balls which is what we will face on Saturday.

Wes to replace Redmond with Dorrans or Howson operating on the right.

[quote user="Lessingham Canary"]Personally i would like to see us take hold of this game at Carrow Road from the first minute, don''t really want the lottery of penalties, and certainly don''t want them sneaking a lucky goal and getting their noses in front, so whats the best line up for the job ?

Mine would be (won''t mess with back 4, too risky imo)

****************** Ruddy **************************

Whitts **** Martin **** Bassong *** Olsson

Tettey, ******Howson ***** Johnston

************* Hoolahan ****************

***** Hooper **** Jerome *******

Reasoning is Wes always pays better with 2 strikers ahead of him, so Dorrans and Redmond on the bench, which does leave the conundrum of Mings, but feel they should be more worried about us, than us worry about them, over to you ?[/quote]

Haven''t you heard though? Hooper isn''t a striker and HASN''T played STRIKER all year...

Please lets start with somebody who can put the ball in the net , Hooper starts or we will be relying on goals from midfield again , Jerome fills me with zero confidence .

And the guy that has only scored 2 goalsfrom against a team that wasn''t in the bottom 6 at the time fills you with confidence? Half of his goals came against the bottom 3. 4 others came against the bottom 6 and he 2 of those were PKs...

Hooper is not a lone striker, he needs support around him, how do you think Neil Lennon played him at Celtic?, with Hooper and Jerome up front and Wes in behind them we will create chances, and hooper can finish, simple as.

Hard to accommodate everyone really.

I thought Martin was rubbish last time out, but we''ll need our captain this game. I''d consider moving him to right back and putting R Bennett in to deal with the aerial threat of Ipswich. It''d mean dropping Whittaker.

I''d go as it were the other 3 of the back 5

In the middle, Tettey and Howson are assured to start in the deeper lying roles but then the other three slots are a headache. Wes has the magic touch that could prove key, Redmond has pace and skill like nobody else in our side, Dorrans has class and would be a reliable extra man in the middle and assure our dominance at least possession wise, Johnson is the big game player who has consistently come up with the goods for us. I think of the 4, i''d have to drop Dorrans.

Up front, i''d be tempted with Hooper, but i''ll have to stick with Jerome as it''s a tall, physical Ipswich we''ll be up against and Jerome will give them a lot to worry about even if he doesn''t score, this could bring our free scoring midfield into play.

On the bench, i''ll have Rudd, Whittaker, Dorrans, Hooper, Josh Murphy, O''Neil and E Bennett.

It''s clear Vadis isn''t going to be used, so we might as well put Josh there who will be chomping at the bit after his hattrick midweek vs Liverpool under 21''s.

If we''re chasing a goal, he''d be a great option to bring on.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]Hard to accommodate everyone really. I thought Martin was rubbish last time out, but we''ll need our captain this game. I''d consider moving him to right back and putting R Bennett in to deal with the aerial threat of Ipswich. It''d mean dropping Whittaker.  [/quote]

Bennett has started 1 game since Neil has been here.

Is he going to drop any of his regulars for this massive match? Hard to see it. Even harder to see how he can say to Whittaker that he misses out after Martin was "rubbish".

Also, that 1 game that Bennett did start was away at Rotherham where Martin had a poor game at right back.

We should be attacking them from the off. 4-4-2 diamond for me.

GK Ruddy

LB Olsson

CB Bassong

CB Martin

RB E Bennett

DM Tettey

RCM Howson

LCM Bradders

AM Hoolahan

ST Hooper

ST Jerome

We''ve had so much success playing 4411/451 I can''t see or why people thing neil is going to make such dramatic changes?

Think and hope it''s

Ruddy

Whittaker martin Bassong olsson

Howson Tettey Dorrans Johnson

Hoolahan

Jerome

Now I know martin didn''t have his best game but think he''s been consistant and he''s a leader, will definitely play.

-----------------------Ruddy-----------------------

Whittaker---Martin---Bassong---Olsson

-----------------Tettey---Dorrans---------------

------Howson---Hoolahan---Johnson-----

---------------------Redmond-------------------

Subs: Rudd, R.Bennett, E.Bennett, Vadis, Murphy, Hooper, Jerome

Imagine the actual team will be similar to this but with Jerome/Hooper in for Redmond, however think the 1p5wich defence are particularly vulnerable to pace/movement - so just putting this one out there as a different suggestion.

As above but with Hoops to start, expect it will be Jerome though.

[quote user="Jim Moriarty"]-----------------------Ruddy----------------------- Whittaker---Martin---Bassong---Olsson -----------------Tettey---Dorrans--------------- ------Howson---Hoolahan---Johnson----- ---------------------Redmond------------------- Subs: Rudd, R.Bennett, E.Bennett, Vadis, Murphy, Hooper, Jerome Imagine the actual team will be similar to this but with Jerome/Hooper in for Redmond, however think the 1p5wich defence are particularly vulnerable to pace/movement - so just putting this one out there as a different suggestion.[/quote]

I''ll eat my hat if we start with Hoolahan and Redmond as our forwards!  We will need Jerome or Hooper up front. Jerome will be needed to provide a physical presence for our long balls from the back (which will inevitably happen when Murphy and Sears close down our defence and Ruddy to make them clear the ball down field.

I agree we need speed and quick feet up front to get in behind their slow defence, but Jerome showed he very good at that when he set up our goal last weekend for Howson.  Equally if we need a goal later on, or when legs tire, Hooper works very well with Hoolahan with neat passing in and behind their defence.

As far as im concerned 8 of the 11 picks itself.  Back five will stay he same, Tettey, BJ and Howson will play if fit.  The other three spots are up for grabs between Hooper, Jerome, Wes, Redmond and Dorrans. Who Neil picks will obviously also have an infulence on the system.

Cant Start Hooper and Jerome as we wont have a striker on the bench (senior player) and Neil clearly hasnt favoured a front two.

[quote user="Highland Canary"]^^

This[/quote]

I imagine you only got excited because you saw Lennon''s name in that post[;)]