Sign in to follow this  
Jacks Back

Best place for pre-game drinks?

Any good newsagents usually - in the fridge - think they used to be called shandy bass from memory

from Suffolk and not knowing where the best place for a pint is....

wear your colours and go to the Cat and Fiddle on Magdalen street ;)

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]from Suffolk and not knowing where the best place for a pint is....

wear your colours and go to the Cat and Fiddle on Magdalen street ;)[/quote]

And a warm welcome awaits one and all.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]from Suffolk and not knowing where the best place for a pint is....

wear your colours and go to the Cat and Fiddle on Magdalen street ;)[/quote]

I''m fully aware of the various places to go, just not which one is best. As i go to games with my family, we just go into Yellows for pre game drinks. The atmosphere isn''t exactly buzzing in there.

We tried weather spoons on the last derby game but the queue was too long to even get in

For Ipswich fans - good luck finding anywhere (I think Complete Angler on the river, near the station is one of the only pubs that''ll let you in).

For Norwich fans - Anywhere down Thorpe Road is good for atmosphere and a good pint... The Coach and Horses and The Fat Cat Canary are too decent pubs that way.

[quote user="Lewis Esquire"]For Ipswich fans - good luck finding anywhere (I think Complete Angler on the river, near the station is one of the only pubs that''ll let you in).[/quote]Just so there''s no misunderstanding............"Officers have been working closely with

licensees in Norwich to identify a suitable venue for away supporters;

however they have all self-declared themselves as home only. Therefore,

there is no designated away pub for ITFC supporters."
http://www.itfc.co.uk/news/article/message-to-fans-from-norfolk-police-2452909.aspx

I can understand why the sc*mmers have been so annoyed about not being given an away pub.

Seems like having them wondering around norwich will only cause more trouble. Just shove them in a tiny pub and keep them out of the way

[quote user="Lessingham Canary"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]from Suffolk and not knowing where the best place for a pint is.... wear your colours and go to the Cat and Fiddle on Magdalen street ;)[/quote] And a warm welcome awaits one and all.[/quote]

It  must have been closed for about three or four years now.

A bunch of binners had arranged to go to the townhouse on Thorpe road. Problem was they advertised it online and now the police have told the pub they can''t serve alcohol until 11.30

[quote user="FenwayFrank"]A bunch of binners had arranged to go to the townhouse on Thorpe road. Problem was they advertised it online and now the police have told the pub they can''t serve alcohol until 11.30[/quote]So it''s not just us slate and chisel old boy types who can''t grasp the niceties of this digital stuff then ?  [:D]

Hi Jack.

The Wetherspoon''s just gets too full. It''s not worth it if you actually want a pint.

Coach and Horses is a great pub but again, it gets absolutely rammed so would probably steer clear of there too.

The Jubilee up the hill gets full but it''s a relatively small pub so usually won''t wait more than ten minutes for a pint. Good choice of about 8 ales. They''re opening from half ten.

The Fat Cat and Canary on Thorpe Road is a great pub with great beers and as it''s a little bit further away from the ground is a good shout. Still gets really full but nowhere near as bad as ''spoons or The Coach.

Red Lion is also a good shout down Riverside Road.

Hell, they all get full and especially on a derby day. Guess it will come down to how far you want to walk from pub to ground. My choice would be Jubilee, Fat Cat and Canary, or Red Lion.

Out of interest, does anyone know what Hollywood Bowl is like on matchdays? I''ve not been down there on a matchday since it reopened but it used to be good back in the day when I worked there on matchdays.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, Virtuoso (formerly The Ketts Tavern) is an ideal choice. We are open at 9am for beer and food and have a free car park for those who eat and drink with us beforehand. We have a vast range of 28 beers on cask and keg so I''m sure we could find something to suit your palate! We are not the closest to the ground (15-20 mins) but have a good NCFC crowd to get everyone in the mood (no scummers welcome btw!).

For anyone not able to get to The Carra we will have the game on live and guarantee the best atmosphere around. OTBC

[quote user="KettsKev"]As mentioned earlier in the thread, Virtuoso (formerly The Ketts Tavern) is an ideal choice. We are open at 9am for beer and food and have a free car park for those who eat and drink with us beforehand. We have a vast range of 28 beers on cask and keg so I''m sure we could find something to suit your palate! We are not the closest to the ground (15-20 mins) but have a good NCFC crowd to get everyone in the mood (no scummers welcome btw!).

For anyone not able to get to The Carra we will have the game on live and guarantee the best atmosphere around. OTBC[/quote]

How long has it been the Virtuoso??  What does that mean?   Have they changed the name of Kett''s Hill to "Virtuoso Hill"?   Lovely old tavern with bags of history and tradition.....was it doing that badly as the Ketts Tavern?    I remember when it was called the "Kett''s Castle" and at least it had still had something to show its heritage in it''s reference to Robert Kett.   None of my business, of course, and I hope it goes well, but why remove the reference to "Kett" which is after all part of the local heritage?

[quote user="Wes Hooly Fan"]Stop whining LDC. Their business name has nothing to do with you.[/quote]Sorry pal, but kindly butt out. I''m just asking the question - one related to local history. After all, the answer might be a good one and help people understand why the name has changed.   Robert Kett is synonymous with that part of Norwich, and that pub for me has always been something of a historic icon, having gone past it every day for many years.  I''ve already wished them well with it, but an explanation might help me and others understand.

You were rude and aggressive towards someone who was merely trying to tell fellow posters about their pub. It''s their prerogative what they call THEIR pub.

Although I hardly think they''d care much for an opinion from an armchair plastic from Cumbria.

[quote user="Wes Hooly Fan"]You were rude and aggressive towards someone who was merely trying to tell fellow posters about their pub. It''s their prerogative what they call THEIR pub.

Although I hardly think they''d care much for an opinion from an armchair plastic from Cumbria.[/quote]I wasn''t meaning to be rude to them and if I was I apologise - they can call the pub what they want and I am sure it is still a terrific pub and having been there several times over the last few years, I can vouch for it - but I get a bit fed up of seeing history and  tradition disappearing from places.   I suspect though it''s like the N&P, people will be calling it the River End in a hundred years from now. The Ketts will probably still be known as the Ketts locally for a long time.    After all, there will be some people that will still be calling it "the Castle".........

[quote user="KettsKev"]As mentioned earlier in the thread, Virtuoso (formerly The Ketts Tavern) is an ideal choice. We are open at 9am for beer and food and have a free car park for those who eat and drink with us beforehand. We have a vast range of 28 beers on cask and keg so I''m sure we could find something to suit your palate! We are not the closest to the ground (15-20 mins) but have a good NCFC crowd to get everyone in the mood (no scummers welcome btw!).

For anyone not able to get to The Carra we will have the game on live and guarantee the best atmosphere around. OTBC[/quote]
To throw in a sweetener, I''ll be there from 11:30am and will throw in a free pint for anyone who approaches me and says the password of "LDC''s a bellend."

do the police segregate the fans at derby games telling you which pubs to drink in ? Dundee derbies both teams fans mix in all pubs lol no trouble .

We changed the name from The Ketts to Virtuoso to let everybody know that things were a bit different and to encourage them to look at the website or pop in. Our ethos of running a NCFC oriented community local with great ales and lagers hasn''t changed but offering home smoked food and craft beers meant we were appealing to a wider market and wanted them to notice the changes.

I still refer to myself as KettsKev and those that knew the pub before will still think of it as The Ketts so the history will remain.

Btw LDC - no offence taken. I am one of only a few people who seem to get your sincerity. Next time you are in The Fine City pop in and make yourself known. It woould be nice to put a face to the name.

OTBC

[quote user="KettsKev"]We changed the name from The Ketts to Virtuoso to let everybody know that things were a bit different and to encourage them to look at the website or pop in. Our ethos of running a NCFC oriented community local with great ales and lagers hasn''t changed but offering home smoked food and craft beers meant we were appealing to a wider market and wanted them to notice the changes.

I still refer to myself as KettsKev and those that knew the pub before will still think of it as The Ketts so the history will remain.

Btw LDC - no offence taken. I am one of only a few people who seem to get your sincerity. Next time you are in The Fine City pop in and make yourself known. It woould be nice to put a face to the name.

OTBC[/quote]

Cheers KK.  I often park near there when going to matches having known the area since childhood, often go to the Adam & Eve, your pub or sometimes the Red Lion.  Will defiinitely drop in next time in Norwich.  [Y]