Sign in to follow this  
Oswald Cobblepot

I might be unpopular for this . . .

. . . And as much as it pains me to say it, well done and credit to Ipswich today. Really gave us a run for our money, especially in the first half. Despite their limitations and their god awful style of play, they played to their strengths and probably had most of us worried at half time. Battled hard and stopped us from finding out rhythm. Fortunately our better quality shine through and the quick start to the 2nd half put us well and truly on top.

Now let''s go do a job on ''Boro, we owe them one!

Che sera sera . . .

OTBC!

Can''t actually disagree with that. Their style made it very hard for us to play against. I reckon the ball was in the air for at least 90% of the first half.Our class got us through in the end. The sending off may have helped a little[;)]

Bet you wouldn''t have posted that had we lost!

So how and why am I unpopular then Gainer? Considering I don''t post that often and I don''t recall having ever done or said anything controversial in the past I''d be interested to know what you are alluding to?

And yes, I have no sympathy for the Scum and of course I''m absolutely delighted that we beat them yet again. However a little appreciation to the fact that they gave us a good game and certainly made us work for it doesn''t hurt, does it? I have no doubt that they would probably be rubbing our faces in it and giving us all kinds of abuse had they beaten us. I like to think us Canary fans are better than that tho and can show a little humility too. It has been a great day and a good game of football played out in the right spirit by both teams and supporters.

Just as well you don''t post often then! Again I ask you, would you have posted that had we lost?

No probably not as I''d be thoroughly upset and disappointed.

Sorry. I shall avoid posting any views remotely not in line with yellow and green tinted spectacles in future. Good enough for you? Jeeeez

You are the voice of reason Oswald.  The opposition was indeed fierce today and we did well to come out on top.  It was far from easy and we were not allowed to settle into a good rhythm throughout the match, even in the second half when they were down to ten men.   Our craft and creativity was enough, but the win was as hard a fought and brave as it could be - because of the opposition. Well played to both teams - but the better team won.

Playing how they do, to be honest I think they''re only two decent midfielders away from getting promoted. If they tried to open up and play some football I think they''re way off though.

A lot of their fans are calling for a change in style next year, for some reason, like they suddenly think the players are capable of it. If McCarthy holds his nerve and doesn''t give in to the fans I can see them going up in the next two years. Mings and Sears are by a long, long way their best players though so if they lost one of those over the summer they could be in trouble anyway.

The coming seasons will define Marcus Evans'' time there. He won''t get a better chance out of nothing to get them promoted to pull back a big cunk of that 80 million he owed. All he has to do is block all sales and give McCarthy 3 million to spend.

Something tells me Mings will be off though and we''ll all be hearing next season about how reasonably well the team that only cost ...err 50k ish made up of free agents and bargain basement players are doing.

Anyone who remembers the Ipswich of Wark, Whymark, Mariner, Burley, Osman etc etc would have had something to hate but thus bunch are just an honest bunch of journeymen players with a very good youngster in Mings and a manager generally popular in the game.

I have met some awful Ipswich fans and have especially poor memories of the attitude of the police but generally they are supporters of a provincial club, as are we, and in no way offend me on the scale of the likes of Man Utd, Arsenal or Chelsea especially when they have no connection to those clubs but just want to glory hunt.

As for this game I thought pretty much all the players conducted themselves with good sportsmanship and respect. I was as desperate to beat them as anyone else, I was more desperate to get to the final and I don''t do faux hatred.

No, they don''t wind me up anything like as much as the peacocks of the Premiership and MoTD pundits.

Lighten the fu#k up, Cobblepot. Did you not see the laughing emoticon connected to my (intended to be) humorous comment?

Take a Midol and call me when the cramping ends.

no credit to them at all....a disgraceful style of football that didnt deserve to be....and wasnt rewarded. Its a slight on the Championship as a whole that a team like that even got into the playoffs.

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]no credit to them at all....a disgraceful style of football that didnt deserve to be....and wasnt rewarded. Its a slight on the Championship as a whole that a team like that even got into the playoffs.[/quote]

Nonsense! They earned the right to participate in the play-offs and their team, particularly after they were down to 10 men, played their hearts out but were beaten by a better team.

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]no, they were only there by default anyway, with Derby blowing up on the last day[/quote]For once I agree with Yankee. Ipswich have made the most of what they have got and were a credit to their manager and gave us a tough fight.

[quote user="Oswald Cobblepot"]. . . And as much as it pains me to say it, well done and credit to Ipswich today. Really gave us a run for our money, especially in the first half. Despite their limitations and their god awful style of play, they played to their strengths and probably had most of us worried at half time. Battled hard and stopped us from finding out rhythm. Fortunately our better quality shine through and the quick start to the 2nd half put us well and truly on top.

Che sera sera . . .

OTBC![/quote]fair comments.. 1st half they were by far the better side... it would have been interesting to see what would have happened if it had stayed 11 vs 11.

"1st half they were by far the better side..."  Jas.Really?  I thought we just about nicked 1st half. They stopped us playing, resulting in us playing the long ball game as well, but I don''t think they were better.

[quote user="Oswald Cobblepot"]. . . And as much as it pains me to say it, well done and credit to Ipswich today. Really gave us a run for our money, especially in the first half. Despite their limitations and their god awful style of play, they played to their strengths and probably had most of us worried at half time. Battled hard and stopped us from finding out rhythm. Fortunately our better quality shine through and the quick start to the 2nd half put us well and truly on top.

Che sera sera . . .

OTBC![/quote]

You were home early

For me it reflects really well on Mick McCarthy- they are clearly a limited squad, assembled on the cheap but he worked out a way to get the most of them. They may not be easy on the eye but that first half they gave us a game and never allowed us to settle and get in to a rhythm.

Che sera sera . . .

OTBC![/quote]thankfully, if we win our next match, we shouldn''t be playing against many team playing the route one tactic (unless we''re playing tony pulis) I really like the way the boys came out the second half, and our  quality started to shine through. truly believe AN is the way forward, whatever happens next week.

[quote user="king canary"]For me it reflects really well on Mick McCarthy- they are clearly a limited squad, assembled on the cheap but he worked out a way to get the most of them. They may not be easy on the eye but that first half they gave us a game and never allowed us to settle and get in to a rhythm.[/quote]On the cheap ? Check their wage bill. The first half domonstrated their only hope. Stop us playing and hope to nick a goal. The longer the game wore on the more it would be us. McCarthy knew that as did AN. This year has been one of transition for many Championship clubs due to FFP. Those coming down from the PL are not the basket cases of before who have simply imploded. It will be a much stronger division next season. The binners won''t have such an easy time of it next season. And the way the fell away in the new year suggests they have already been found out.

Is there wage bill big? Genuinely don''t know.

I reckon this is going to be a tough summer for them- I could see Mick McCarthy being poached and them struggling to replace him.

To be honest, I wasn''t all that concerned after the first half display. It was clear that their main aim was to stop us playing. That in itself is a good indicator in how good they believed themselves to be. They were looking to pick off the very meagre pieces that they could get, and they didn''t.2nd half, Berra made the most stupide decision I think I have ever seen. Just let the ball go in. Straight red and a pen are not preferable. And he was clearly their best centerback.For all their huff and puff, that is all they really were. I was expecting Sears to be quicker. They just didn''t have the quality.It was like they had watched a video of the Middlesborough game and tried to copy it only without the quality to take advantage of the posession they won. It just felt like route one every time and it didn''t work. They did stop us from playing but against a quality side you need to be 100% on it or concede when you slip up. And slip up they did.Can''t fault their effort in the first half mind you. On that display Mings is woefully over rated. He has a bit of pace but his excelleration isn''t that great and he isn''t that great on the ball. In all honesty he looked a bit leggy.

[quote user="chicken"] On that display Mings is woefully over rated. He has a bit of pace but his excelleration isn''t that great and he isn''t that great on the ball. In all honesty he looked a bit leggy.[/quote]Check the highlights. His crude tackle on Whittaker, allowing the pass that set up our first goal. Totally out of place for the second and no challenge for the third. The highlights also show him running ball out into a press dugout later in the game. Bambi on ice would be generous to his abilities. His place is in no little to the thinness of their squad., not his abilities. Whittaker had the better of him most of the game.