Sign in to follow this  
Katie Borkins

Pubs in Istanbul showing playoffs?

Am helping a man convert women into camels next weekend, but does anyone here know if I can see the match anywhere in Istanbul or, indeed, Turkey?

[quote user="im spartacus"]Mike Litoris the landlord

[/quote]

Didn''t he used to run The Bush in Costessey ?

[quote user="TIL 1010"]

[quote user="im spartacus"]Mike Litoris the landlord

[/quote]

Didn''t he used to run The Bush in Costessey ?

[/quote]i stopped drinking in there when Pat Micok took it over and turned it into an irish themed gay bar.

I''m not going out there this year Bor so if you could bring me a couple of shirts back it would be appreciated.

Tesekkur ederim.

Bor, not sure if this is a serious question, but I was fortunate enough to live in Turkey for a while and know Istanbul pretty well. If it clashes with a Prem game (not checked if it does) then there''s only one place in central Istanbul that you can rely on to show it, which is a Sports Pub just down from SultanAhmet (the tourist square with the Blue Mosque and Hagia Sofia on it)

It''s opposite a tram stop called Gulhane. If you head towards the Basilica Cistern (worth a visit by the way) which is basically directly left of Hagia Sofia as you look at it, about 100 yards away. It''s signposting is pretty poor, but if you ask anyone they will be able to direct you easily. You need to go down the road Basilica Cistern is on (you should pass Basilica Cistern on your left hand side), and take the second road (third if you include the little dead end you will pass) on your right (Alaykosku Cadessi is the name of the road). Follow that road, and bear left when it splits in two. Gulhane tram stop is in the middle of the road, and on your left you will see a pub with an English name (maybe The North Shield but not sure on that).

They are a sports bar, and if they are not showing the game, they will put it on for you if you ask them. They did it for me for the Wolves game last August.

I''ve been to the North Shield pub in Kadikoy, I''ve also been to this pub but can''t remember if it is also called the North Shield. They had about 10 screens around the pub, all showing a different match so I''m sure they will show the play-off matches. It is expensive though.

Yeah that''s the one I''m thinking of Mr Angry - loads of screens and accomodating bar staff who will find the game for you. They have one of those super-satellite things which have all the channels so they will definitely be able to get it for you.

I don''t remember it being particularly expensive, but given the area is so touristy nearby then I suspect you may be right.

I heard Wazzy that you were watching it on the Norwich to Cromer railway line but their could be a problem with the signal.

I''m also in Istanbul on Monday and looking for somewhere to watch. I''ve been asking my Turkish colleagues where they think might be best. Possibly an Irish bar in Taksim Square. I''m going to go and have a look in next few days.Message me and we can watch together!

Not sure of the Irish bar in Taksim but it''s a short hop across the river to the one by Gulhane tram stop (maybe 15mins walk, or you could get a tram direct to Gulhane from Taksim) so if worst comes to worst, just make sure you get there early enough for contingencies if the Irish bar doesn''t pan out (and enjoy Istanbul, it''s an amazing city!!)