Sign in to follow this  
Ashwood

Time delay with Radio Norfolk commentary

Was listening to the Charlton game on Radio Norfolk last week via my iPod . Decided to look at the possession stats on the BBC Sport website when we were 2-1 up (on the radio) only to find that on the BBC Sport website it was already 2-2 ! After further investigation it was apparent that the radio commentary was delayed by circa 3 to 4 minutes . Can anyone advise if this is always the case ,was this a one off , or was it in any way attributable to listening via an iPod and not a traditional radio ?

You need to subscribe to Apple''s iTime service, it lets you live you live in the here and now instead of Apple''s new iReality that''s 4 minutes behind everything else. Apple have redefined the concept of time and now the standard is what ever Apple have said it will be, Apple users are delighted that they no longer have to live in the real world.

It''s built in so if Bernie starts effun an jeffun on carrot call they can bleep him out

Have had the same issues.   Following the commentary, but then reading on here that we had scored before the radio said we had.  Had to stop looking in here so as to feel like the commentary was actually live, not delayed.  Not really a problem, disappointing, but that is the internet for you. 

[quote user="lake district canary"]Have had the same issues.   Following the commentary, but then reading on here that we had scored before the radio said we had.  Had to stop looking in here so as to feel like the commentary was actually live, not delayed.  Not really a problem, disappointing, but that is the internet for you.[/quote]Blimey Lakey, and you didn''t even start a thread about it. Missed a chance there. [;)]

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="lake district canary"]Have had the same issues.   Following the commentary, but then reading on here that we had scored before the radio said we had.  Had to stop looking in here so as to feel like the commentary was actually live, not delayed.  Not really a problem, disappointing, but that is the internet for you.[/quote]Blimey Lakey, and you didn''t even start a thread about it. Missed a chance there. [;)][/quote]

Like I said, not really a problem.

Have noticed the same thing with the various videprinter/txt score providers as well.Canaryplayer/BBC seem quite a while behind Sky, but I''ve found flashscore.com easily the quickest.

[quote user="morty"]Is the delay deliberately built in perhaps?

I have seen this on other net based services.
[/quote]

It''s true to say that nothing is live anymore, it used to be that things happened but then the ability to record and play back was invented and that made ''real time'' redundant, it''s never been used since.

[quote user="morty"]Is the delay deliberately built in perhaps?I have seen this on other net based services.[/quote]

Babestation?

i guess a 5 minute delay could be handy for some....

[quote user="......and Smith must score."]I''ve always found the Radio Norfolk commentary to be at least 10 seconds ahead of '' live '' internet streaming. Weird to hear a goal scored on radio then watch it go in a few seconds later.[/quote]

My brother lives in Barcelona, they''re an hour ahead of us so I get him to text me when we score.

[quote user="morty"]Is the delay deliberately built in perhaps?I have seen this on other net based services.[/quote]
I always thought the delay was built in deliberately too Morty

It''s cos'' a little gremlin has to tape every word broadcast on Snorefolk, take it down the corridor to Canary Player where the meerkat broadcasts it over the internet (sometimes via China or some other cheap ISP on an old Linux server - must keep the costs down - it''s only £1 per game you know).

[quote user="......and Smith must score."]I''ve always found the Radio Norfolk commentary to be at least 10 seconds ahead of '' live '' internet streaming.

Weird to hear a goal scored on radio then watch it go in a few seconds later.[/quote]

Its almost impossible to co-ordinate different media these days.  "Live" is rarely live anyway, with always a few seconds delay so as media companies can protect themselves from anything that might otherwise lead to litigation.  Its a pain, but a fact of life.

We have AM in one room, DAB in another and the radio through Sky TV in another, we get to celebrate each goal 3 times, the Boxing Day game against Millwall was exhausting!

How i see it all:-

DAB/Sky etc. all go through a digital conversion process and an element of buffering (Like the internet) is required for loss prevention, so there''s an inherent delay on these services.

Good old FM is pretty spot on, all hail Radio Norfolk! And all hail good ol'' fashioned ''analog'' audio! yay!

The internet streams usually have to propagate out to multiple servers to be able to support the thousands of users they are to serve, one master computer/connection sends the data out once... And then off it goes to multiple ''repeaters'' exponentially.

This of course, takes time, plus add to that for a buffer to be created to provide a smooth listening experience, and there''s your delay - even on legit sources.

The better/bigger/most expensive infrastructures can do this much quicker... The canaries player probably doesn''t fall under this banner of course, and as for dodgy streams, they rely heavily on a p2p method to share out the source data... Meaning that the video you watch, your internet connection is sending on.

Problem occurs when there''s more users with a higher download rate than upload rate, which means you have to wait longer for their shared data (From multiple sources) to reach you before it can be displayed.

Therefore, not sure it''s ''deliberate'', rather how limited modern technology is for live/quality broadcasts.. Very much like how people brought up on mp3 technology refer to CD quality as ''Hi Quality'', that always brings a chuckle to me, welcome to 1989!! :)

When I''m home for a match, I listen to the canariesplayer on the computer whilst the rest of the family watch SkySportsNews. They have great enjoyment when Norwich score and a minute later I''m jumping out of my chair celebrating !