Sign in to follow this  
Syteanric

Where does all of this leave Louis thompson?

signed by Adams in the summer then loaned back to Swindon for the season...

The Reds form has dropped off a little bit LT seems to have been involed. in a season where we have been crying out for a little bit of extra width will he get a chance under Alex Neil? does AN even know LT is here??!!

he won''t have seen him play or train and if we make a couple of signings early on in the summer will Thompson simply be sold without ever kicking a ball?

Where does this leave him?

Swindon or the surrounding commmutable area presumably.

Adams is gone, but Ricky Martin and Barry Simmonds are still around - who will have been part of the decision to purchase Louis Thompson.

This is why you have a footballing board, so you don''t get the situation players like Jacob Butterfield found himself in - signed by a manager who was never at the club when he was.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]signed by Adams in the summer then loaned back to Swindon for the season...

The Reds form has dropped off a little bit LT seems to have been involed. in a season where we have been crying out for a little bit of extra width will he get a chance under Alex Neil? does AN even know LT is here??!!

How about waking up and having a good old sniff of the coffee

he won''t have seen him play or train and if we make a couple of signings early on in the summer will Thompson simply be sold without ever kicking a ball?[/quote]

He plays as a centre mid so he wouldn''t have made much difference to the wide areas. Time will tell on this one I guess, but I''m not a big fan of buying a player then loaning them back. Always seems a waste as you run down a year on the contract, if they arnt ready then they are already in the same boat as our own youth team players who can''t get a game.

[quote user="Yellowbeagle"]He plays as a centre mid so he wouldn''t have made much difference to the wide areas. Time will tell on this one I guess, but I''m not a big fan of buying a player then loaning them back. Always seems a waste as you run down a year on the contract, if they arnt ready then they are already in the same boat as our own youth team players who can''t get a game.[/quote]Unless, of course, you have scouted an absolute gem who is just coming into his prime.(Yeah, I''m not convinced either)

It leaves his position unchanged - joins us in the summer where we take a closer look and decide how to use him,  dependent on which league we are in.

If he is the talent we believe he is then he can force his way into the squad;   if not he joins the many talented youngsters who dont make the step up.

I suspect that if we are successful in getting promoted he will be an active candidate for a championship loan next season - young with plenty of time to improve.  

[quote user="Mr Jenkins"]As I recall his brothers a pretty good lad too.[/quote]
The Thompson Twins?
Maybe we could get Mark Robson back to duet with Jerome.

I have seen him play a few times this season and he has great potential. He plays as the left of three in midfield (with Toffolo outside as wingback). I would not class him as a winger, probably more in the Howson role of picking the ball up and running at players. He is strong in the tackle and athletic.

And rest assured the powers that be will know all about him as there is a very good working relationship between the two clubs...

[quote user="KoromaCrab"]what is the story behind Jacob Butterfield?[/quote]What do you want to know?He came here, wasn''t good enough, didn''t make it, he left.I think thats pretty much it.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="KoromaCrab"]what is the story behind Jacob Butterfield?[/quote]What do you want to know?He came here, wasn''t good enough, didn''t make it, he left.I think thats pretty much it.[/quote]Well, no it''s not.He was clearly signed by Lambert - that was the point that Bethnal was making.

[quote user="ncfcstar"][quote user="morty"][quote user="KoromaCrab"]what is the story behind Jacob Butterfield?[/quote]What do you want to know?He came here, wasn''t good enough, didn''t make it, he left.I think thats pretty much it.[/quote]Well, no it''s not.He was clearly signed by Lambert - that was the point that Bethnal was making.[/quote]Regardless of manager continuity I presume that when managers leave, the entire scouting network doesn''t leave with them?I think there is a danger of reading too much into this, if he was as good as the hype around him at the time, he would have made it.I doubt very much that a manager would ignore obvious ability, just because he hadn''t signed the player.

Alright raise your hand too if you also completely forgot this guy even existed... Let alone that we signed him. Does that make me plastic?

Just digressing a bit, I know he was only here on loan and for not very long but I seem to remember countless people quickly labelling Harry Kane as useless and lightweight !

[quote user="Webbo118"]Just digressing a bit, I know he was only here on loan and for not very long but I seem to remember countless people quickly labelling Harry Kane as useless and lightweight ![/quote]Without entirely disagreeing with the point you are trying to make, that was a fairly accurate assessment of his performance at the time.But it does illustrate the difference in quality (and perhaps expectations) in the fact that he was a youngster loaned from a Premiership club to another one, whereas we are a Championship club who are struggling to punt our players out to league one.

A lot is down to perception; if Norwich were in the Premiership right now, it''s likely we''d have greater demand for those same players. Reality is we''re in the division below and as Morty says, we''re struggling to get decent league one clubs to give our younger lads a game!

Regarding ''perception'' - the skill is always to assess and spot the future stars. Few of us could see Kieran Gibbs or Harry Kane turning out as they have done...

And that''s why people look exceedingly silly when making snap judgments on players on the basis of what they achieve or don''t achieve in 20 minutes.