Sign in to follow this  
Duncan Edwards

Racists on a Train - Blog Post

I agree its only a few, but the thing about football support is that there are other examples of poor behaviour/language that occur at nearly every football stadium that you go to, that make these racist t*ssers think they can get away with their unpleasantness outside the ground.  Swearing and unpleasant chanting  is associated with football crowds.  You don''t hear " the umpire is a w*nker", or chants that include "f*cking" of which there are quite a few, at cricket or tennis.  Opposing fans are not sworn at en masse in other sports like they are at football grounds.   Football has cleaned up its act in quite a lot of ways, but there is still an element of unpleasantness that is peculiar just to football and that attracts the scum of society to think they can still get away with racist and other abusive stuff.   Racism still rears its ugly head in isolated incidents - in some other countries more than over here, so it is an ongoing problem for football, still.  

Authorities can''t do anything about stuff that goes on outside football grounds but mob bad behaviour of any sort is fairly abhorrent in whatever guise it appears.  Gangs of drunken yobs feeling like they can do or chant what they want, whether its racist, abusive or just plain anti-social.   Don''t get me wrong, racist chanting is probably the most disgusting behaviour - but it is a symptom of a wider culture that still exists in football more than in other sports - it may be a minority - but there is still a culture of  thuggishness, anti-social and rebellious behaviour that needs to be squashed.  Gangs of thugs using football to go out and look for fights with like minded thugs from other clubs for instance, as happens with some that latch themselves on to football (not at Norwich as far as I''m aware - but it does happen elsewhere). 

It may only be a few, but football still attracts the scum of society and I hope that every decent football supporter is sickened when they see the sort of racist behaviour shown by the likes of those low life yesterday, whichever club they are associated with.  Kick them out of the country and send them somewhere where they are the ones in a minority and let them see how they like it. Or better still, just lock them up and throw away the key.

Yes there is still plenty of racism in society, a lot of people are inherently racist, and don''t even realise they are.

Difficult to disagree with anything Lakey says, but the problem here is where do you draw the line, and who does the drawing ?For example, if racist chanting is considered unacceptable, is it any more permissible to sing homophobic songs at Brighton fans, call Cardiff/Swansea supporters sheepsh@ggers, or, dare I say it , howl how we ''beat the scum 9-2'' at our dear friends from down the A140 ?What happened on the Paris métro is against French law, but I guess it''s not really feasible to have bands of Gendarmes on every station in the event of this sort of incident happening. So Lakey is right that ,there, it''s not for the football authorities to do much about it, but, there again others seem powerless to stop it.And it IS creeping in elsewhere, to be fair . A friend of mine is a Saracens supporter, and he''s noticed football style chants beginning to emerge at their games . Perhaps not a blatantly racist etc as those at football grounds, but unpleasant nonetheless.But I would say that the level of racism at games here is pretty minor compared to other countries, including ''civilised'' ones like Spain, where monkey noises are de rigeur. I gather that even in liberal Holland, it''s not unknown either.

[quote user="morty"]Yes there is still plenty of racism in society, a lot of people are inherently racist, and don''t even realise they are.[/quote]

That is true of course.  But there is a difference between thinking something and acting out an anti-social or blatant act of abuse.   Restraint, understanding and good behaviour are what people out in the real world need to show and if they don''t, they should face the consequences.  People can think what they like and until the thought police invent a way of stopping that, then people will still have questions in their mind about all sorts of things - and only a fool or a robot accepts things they are told to think without question.

An enjoyable read and you''re right football has changed and support has changed, shame that the tiny minority tarnish the majority of football fans who are decent people.