Sign in to follow this  
lappinitup

Quiz for the oldies

Thanks Ricardo, I was carrying on with my work when I suddenly realised my mistake.

I was also sure that there would be somebody who would correct me, so I was not dissapointed!

For some reason I have little recollection of Jim Conway ...... must be getting too old!

I can still remember that 6-0 win though. :)

The first 2 matches I ever attended were Stoke ( 6-0 ) in the league and Newcastle ( 5-0 ) which was a cup replay both played in a 5 day period in March 1963 however I cannot remember which came first........over to you Ricardo ?

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]Easy peasy quiz, still for oldies. Who is the odd one out of these three Norwich City players?

Image result for Trevor Howard Norwich city imagesImage result for mel machin norwich city images

Image result for dennis van wijk[/quote]Ha! that didn''t work so well!

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]Ha! that didn''t work so well! [/quote]Purps, If you right click on the pics in the links you gave and THEN click copy it should work ok.

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]Ha! that didn''t work so well! [/quote]Purps, If you right click on the pics in the links you gave and THEN click copy it should work ok.[/quote]Forget that, let''s start again. [:$]If you right click on the pics in the links you gave, click "view image" and THEN click copy on the new screen, it should work ok.

[quote user="GPB"]Purple, I''m guessing this has something to do with penalties in League Cup finals ? If so Howard.[/quote]Yes, GPB. Howard. The other two, Machin and van Wijk, gave away penalties in league cup finals. Howard came on as sub in our first Wembley final, against Spurs, (replacing Jim Blair, from the original quiz here) but was blameless. Thanks for putting this supplementary quiz out of its misery!

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]Ha! that didn''t work so well! [/quote]Purps, If you right click on the pics in the links you gave and THEN click copy it should work ok.[/quote]Forget that, let''s start again. [:$]If you right click on the pics in the links you gave, click "view image" and THEN click copy on the new screen, it should work ok.[/quote]Thanks lapps, but that sounds way too complicated for my brain,[:^)] and GPB has cut this particular Gordian Knot by getting it right anyway!

[quote user="TIL 1010"]The first 2 matches I ever attended were Stoke ( 6-0 ) in the league and Newcastle ( 5-0 ) which was a cup replay both played in a 5 day period in March 1963 however I cannot remember which came first........over to you Ricardo ? [/quote]My recollection of this Til, is that the Newcastle game took place the following Wednesday evening from the Stoke match. I''m pretty sure that Terry Allcock scored 4 times in this game but can''t remember the other scorer.In the Stoke game, apart from the Oliver hat trick I think the other scorers were Allcock, Mannion and Conway. It was a cracking game and although Stoke won promotion that year we were totally dominant with 3 goals in each half. My memory says that we kicked towards the River End first half because I have a strong memory of Jimmy Oliver banging in an early goal from outside the area. Memories play tricks at times but when anyone mentions that match I always seem to see that goal from a position of me standing on the halfway line at the back of the South Stand.

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="Jack Flash"]Is it top right as he''s the only one who shares his name with a fomer PM?  Now top left (JC) brings back distant memories. I think he came to us from Celtic in the early 60s. Old fashioned Centre Forward.  Happy days.[/quote]

My memory is usually not very good but, on this one, I''m pretty sure that Jim Conway came to us from St, Mirren.[/quote]I''m sorry Yankee, but Jack is correct......http://www.thecelticwiki.com/page/Conway,+JamesI think you may have confused him with Tommy Bryceland, who did indeed come from St. Mirren.[/quote]

Then I was correct tin the first instance Lapp.....my memory is usually not very good. [:D]

[quote user="CANARYKING"]What happened to Trevor Howard ? I think he was the most used City Sub, unless you know better.[/quote]

some bloke named Goss holds the record for most sub appearences for the club...15 minutes of fame was a phrase invented for him...